Last post wins!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Seeing a vintage pair of Sony DR-9 headphones with a description of "Most of the time they work well, and other times they do not work on the left hand side" at a price of £1.50+£4.00 P&P I thought I'd stick my neck out on this one. As it turns out, it was the Right channel that was 'faulty' but a quick spray of Servisol through the slider aperture fixed this in no time. One thorough clean later and now they're about as good as they could ever be expected to be and a pleasures to listen to music though. Bargain! :-D

DSCF4049.JPG

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Fatdog said:
Christine, how do the DR-9s compare to your best set? What is your best set?
Mmmmmm......difficult but allow me to explain:

I'm trying to find two sets of headphones I owned in the 70's and I remember little about them other than each had controls on the headset, one was a Philips brand with the other set being Sony. I also remember both of these sets were not cheap at the time and both sounded absolutely wonderful and, although I used one set for Pop/Rock/etc. music and the other set for Classical & Easy Listening music, I think I've probably lost too many faculties to remember which set I used for what music. ;-) :-D

I like the warmth of the sound I hear through the Sony DR-9's and, surprisingly, the entire fabric of the headsets (I now have two sets of this model) has lasted with little sign of use or wear - even the cushions feel as comfortable as when they were new. My only gripes with these is that a) they are just a tad large so I have the headband adjusted to the absolute minimum and b) they are just a tad weighty, not too much, just a little but they remain very comfortable.

The Sony DR-S4 & Sony DR-S5 headphones are nice and comfortable to wear being a little lighter than the Sony DR-9 model. These are pretty much a good all-rounder type of headset with no real surprises although the fit (to my particular bonce) is more 'comfortably snug' (in a nice, reassuring way) than the Sony DR-9. The downside with these - and others I've seen for sale and inspected - is that the ear cushions have flattened over the years, probably due to a combination of use and poor storage. I've spent several hours looking for replacement cushions, even bought a couple of sets, but cannot find any of the correct size so my choice is either a) Acquire the closest best fit and make do or b) Acquire sacrificial headsetssets, salvage the cushions and 'double up' with the cushions to facilitate enough clearance between ear and inner headset. I may do one or other on each set.

The headset at the far end is a cheapo set of Sony MDR-XD150's, these are a "move along, there's nothing to see here..." sort of headphones.

So far, the Sony DR-9's are winning but I'm still looking for 'the perfect pair'. I recently bought a modern set of Panasonic headphones - "With Extra Bass!" - to use with my laptop but there was NO "Extra Bass", merely an obscenely dulled version of sound being emitted so this, along with the skull-crushing-vice-like-grip of the headset, consigned them to the freebies to be given away box. Any headset with 'XB' in the model number or claims of 'extra bass' will not be given a second thought or glance.

Fatdog

Staff member
Christine, thanks for the details. I have always been partial to the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. I got my first pair circa 1990, and they lasted about eight years before one of the channels died. I'm on my second VR6 pair now. I've had this set for about 13 years, I guess. The ear pads have been replaced twice, but otherwise, they are still going strong. For everything lightweight, I go with my trusty Sennheiser PX-100s. I got them off ebay many years ago for $15 brand new. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I heard them for the first time. The PX-100, or the newer PX-100 II, might be something to check out if you can get a good price.

Of course, each person hears differently... Oh, and my go-to song for determining a good set of headphones (to me) is "Planet Rock". If Planet Rock sounds good, the sound engineers have done their job correctly.

--------------------------------------

Transistorized: LOL! You are a nut!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Many thanks for your welcome comments. Yes, personal preferences may be difficult to quantify, and certainly explain, when it comes to a favourite set of headphones and individual taste can't be beaten or bettered so I've tried to rely on past experience so far other than a suggestion for the Panny 'extra base' debacle.

I gave little thought to smaller, over the ear, type 'phones such as the Sennheiser PX-100 you've mentioned but it did remind me to re-try out a pair of JVC lightweight over the ear' phones I have and they didn't (quite) match my requirements for 'laid back listening but I'll look at acquiring a set of Sennheiser PX-100's to see how they sound & feel as they look to be of better build quality than my lightweight JVC 'phones. I'll give the Sony MDR-V6 serious consideration, particularly after reading this:

With cushioned earpieces and a padded headband, the Sony MDR-V6 over-the-head headphones will fit easily on the head of any professional musician or music enthusiast. Earpieces are removable and replaceable. Sensitivity for these over-the-head headphones is 106 dB, and these Sony headphones have a 5 Hz to 30 kHz frequency response to help ensure the consumer can hear a large range of sound. Impedance for these Sony headphones is 63 Ohms, using less voltage than some higher impedance headphones. This accessory connects through a cable to the device of choice, and the plug type for the Sony MDR-V6 can be converted to a 3.5-mm or a 6.35-mm plug. Moreover, the driver unit size for these headphones is 40 mm. Users can listen to music while looking stylish with these headphones. In addition, high-quality sound output mixed with style and comfort allow these Sony headphones to be an avid competitor among other models in the same class.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Terry said:
I like my DR-9's. All they cost was 2 bucks at a garage sale and a couple of squirts of de-oxit.
I think the only thing that could ever go wrong with these is a deterioration of the sponge lining the inside of the slider aperture, at worst this would be a quick and easy fix. Yes, these headphones are good and were definitely made to last.

Fatdog

Staff member
Speaking of roaches, how many remember this jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygrgcOtezM

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Last week I received an email from a courier service, that had delivered a parcel to me, asking me to authenticate my signature as the recipient of the parcel. I went ballistic with them for not only keeping my signature on a data base/more than one data base AND THEN having the absolute gall to send my own signature to me via email.
Couriers now look somewhat bewildered when I 'sign' for items with a simple 'x'. explaining to each of them that they have become information collection agents somewhat akin to the Stasi, NKVD or any of the multitude of American spy agencies. I make sure I have the parcel in my hands before 'signing' so there's no issues there in receiving my parcels. :-D

Last week a disrespectful Duty Urchin knocked on my door peddling some sort of something or other. There he stood, smartly dressed with leaflets in his paws mumbling vaguely in a worried looking manner. Pointing to the leaflets in his hand I asked him to read to me from one and he happily obliged - until he's said about a dozen words and then I interrupted him, pointing to a sign on my door that said 'No Uninvited Callers' saying "If you can read from your leaflets, why can't you read this?" He continued to mumble as the door closed onto his sorry looking face.............

Status
Not open for further replies.