Another JVC RC-M71JW restoration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
No faith Bill?!!?!?! :'-( :huh: :-O :sad:

I'm telling ya man, this is going to be gooooooood :thumbsup: .

I'm done for today. The cracked/broken area of the case was sanded smooth. Everything is scuffed and ready for primer, just needs to be cleaned off first.

Speaker grills are done, and I painted a small piece from the case with the new PORSCHE paint because I am impatient. :lol: :drool:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Thanks for tackling the project fuz! Its nice to see another boomer saved from the grave!! Plus your progress reports & pics are very entertaining :thumbsup: :hooray:

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
mellymelsr said:
I am really liking that paint! Can't wait to see the finished product.
:agree: Hey Joe, when You're done with this sweet M71project, I'll trade you a really nice White Lasonic i931X for it. :-P :-D

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
THAFUZZ said:
:agree: Hey Joe, when You're done with this sweet M71project, I'll trade you a really nice White Lasonic i931X for it. :-P :-D

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

I should have a nice pile of progress pics tomorrow. Cleaning, priming, and paint should all be done :yes: :-O :drool:

Thanks for watching my thread - it's exciting for me to share the pictures and show that we can take on some of the worst repairs and come out on top!

Stretch

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2009
Toronto
www.scribd.com
Another one!
Well best of luck on this restoration Joe. If anyone can do a good job on an M71 it's you!

That Porsche colour does seem very close to the original and will likely look perfect. I may have to use it on my M71 resto also :cool:

eric

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey joe :thumbsdown: |-) |-) |-)

hurry up you SLACKER ........

skippy would have had this ALL completed ( and up for sale )
YESTERDAY
:-O :-P :lol: :lol:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
:-P

Oh don't you worry, I have been busy with it already this morning before work.

Blew everything off, cleaned, and tack ragged. All setup on the stands and just finished priming. :thumbsup:

I will let the primer dry until lunch then spray my color :drool:

Hey stretch, if this is a color you like, you send me the $$ for a can + shipping and I will get one ordered and sent out to you :yes: ;-) .

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Primer was setup good already so I sprayed some color! :thumbsup:

I'm not going to show pics either :lol: .

It is truely amazing. The tone of the PORSCHE paint is almost a dead-on match with a little more sparkle :drool: . Makes that last M71 restoration I did look like like crap. :lol:

No words can express how nice this is turning out to be. Hopefully I will be able to polish the gold plates that have some tarnishing and get the tuner window polished clear again...... Everything else should clean up nice. :yes:

Stretch

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2009
Toronto
www.scribd.com
I was looking at your primered pics and thought "aw, there's still some visible line where that huge hole was on the side", but the cool thing about the sparkle Porsche paint is that should be pretty hidden when painted yes?

I like metallics for that. So distracting haha.

PM me the price for the can + shipping if you please. I'm guessing it's a 1qt single stage? I hope it doesn't have clear in it as I'd prefer to have that applied afterwards.

Thanks Joe,
eric

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Hey Eric, it is just an aresol paint can. No clear required. Sprays like a regular spray paint. Also has a satin finish.

I could have worked on that broken area a little more, but by the time everything is put together it's still not going to be a perfect box and the tuner knob will cover that little hole :yes: . It will still have some tarnishing, dents, and oddities. There are still some pretty good gouges in the tweeter area where the previous over rammed a screwdriver in it :-/ . You're right that the metallic paint did hide some more of that damaged area by the tuner knob. It's respectable now :yes: :cool: .

Bummer that the masking tape always peels off some of the black paint on the JVC logo :thumbsdown: . This logo was mint too and now it has a big chunk of black missing :dunce: . I'll touch that up later.

Again, I am very happy with the new color choice. If I had a replacement decal for the top panel I would most definetly paint the whole thing just so that you wouldn't ever see the difference in the old color VS. the new color side-by-side. Like I said, this color is better than the last M71 I painted :yes: .

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The lighting in different areas and taking pictures really makes it hard to capture the real color this is. I gotta get some outside pics with no flash :yes: .

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
joe --i may have missed a step :dunce: or two -
so how did you get the top panel lettering so clean --
without damaging the letters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.