Restoring my Conion C-100. How hard could it be?

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
I have a C-100 that is in fair condition. It works but has the missing cassette door and a broken aerial. I've never tried to play a cassette but I'm sure the drives will need new rubber parts. The switches are ok but will need some Deoxit.
I have good mechanical skills and will muster up any patience needed.
Can anybody point me in a direction where to assess and to start? Thank you.

Reactions: Mixamyte 1

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Ok then. I will take it apart and see what's up inside. My main concern is the missing cassette door, which I understand is a common problem.
I'll snap a few pics.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
make sure you label each plug that you disconnect from the part where it gets plugged into because these connectors will fit more than one plug so you have to label them when you pull them off if you disconnect the center chassis and pull it out as one unit then basically you can work on all the internals outside of the box. it's a lot of work and it's time consuming but it's worth it to do it all. this is a very popular Boombox I don't think you'll have a problem finding help fixing it. don't expect to find the cassette door for these too easily they just don't exist but if you get the tape deck working you can just put the tape in it'll hold itself there while it plays.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Last edited:

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
That's a pic of my boy, Wes! Haha. I posted a lot of useful info when I worked on that.
The link to that is here, and the second restore is here
Maybe some of my other posts can help you out...
Info on the panel, door, buttons and drawer trims, lettering, door glass, and antenna
Wiring diagram, main schematic, VU meter schematic
3D design of door (and link to buy one on last page), drawer/cam/guides, drawer pin replacement, foot replacement
cool. i like a bit of info to go with the product

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Thank you guys. Any and all help is appreciated. I will break it down and clean it and Deoxit the controls over the upcoming winter.
I sat in front of it the other night trying to visualize how the cassette door works and was listening to music on the FM. This radio works quite well and sounds nice. I will get some pics up I promise. It's in better shape than I thought but the tape drives seem frozen so that will be my first mission then I'll radiate from there. I have an email into a local guy on Craigslist who I've seen sell these (currently asking $3500 US for one). Maybe he has some parts. I'll see what he says before I disassemble it.
Right now I have located the door and bracket behind it from this company who 3D prints them. Has anyone dealt with them? I really couldn't bear to have a missing door. It bugs me.

I prefer to have replacement parts in hand before I start to work.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I have located the door and bracket behind it from this company who 3D prints them. Has anyone dealt with them? I really couldn't bear to have a missing door. It bugs me.
I designed it, and made all the non-3D bits, and member SuperDuper sells them.
However, the link you posted is just the bare door without the cradle or all the other parts.Try this link

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
I designed it, and made all the non-3D bits, and member SuperDuper sells them.
However, the link you posted is just the bare door without the cradle or all the other parts.Try this link
Ok, that is a nice piece. Now knowing that it is available I'll start the disassemble and cleaning in about a week. I have motorcycle carbs to do this week. Once that's out of the way I'll get started on the Conion.
I'm assuming the drives will need belts. I can hear the motor running but nothing is turning with no tape installed. The spindles don't want to turn by hand either. I'll have to learn that tape drive as I go along.

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Here's a few pics as it stands uncleaned. Once stripped down the plastics should clean nicely. The main problem being the tape drives. I have an email to Studio Sound Electronics for belts as suggested on this site.

Welp... Studio Sound just got back to me that they stopped selling belts a couple of years ago and suggested turntableneedles.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Yoikes! There's a lot of stuff in there. I was hoping for easy access to the tape drives but, no.
Overall it's pretty clean inside but I still need to the pots for the Deoxit treatment.
Next up I'll have to order the cassette door and drive belts. Once they are in hand I'll get to work.
IMG_1413.JPGIMG_1413.JPGIMG_1414.JPGIMG_1415.JPGIMG_1417.JPG

Reactions: Mixamyte 1

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Caution, I've had the belts for a little time now. I've made it through the holidays. So now, before I start my bathroom renovation I've decided to restore my c100.
So I just now came from the box after a close examination under a bright light... and I'm stumped! I don't know where to begin without taking a misstep. I've looked through other threads and I'm asking which would be the first thing to do?
Is it necessary to remove every circuit board to get to the tape drives or can I remove a large section as one piece?
I'm a good mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
you can remove the entire black frame with the electronics still inside of it but you have to disconnect all of the connectors and label all of them because some of them fit more than one place just be careful when you're pulling it out cuz there's wires everywhere and plugs to disconnect my advice would be to take it slow and and record whatever you're doing. and don't work on it when it's plugged in

Reactions: Marcus

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
you also have to disconnect plugs from the circuit boards that lead to the Vu meters and the speakers and anything that's attached to the front case. also make sure the cassette door is open when you try to pull the frame out you'll have to do some jiggling because it doesn't just come out easy.

Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2020
USA
Floyd, thank you, that's what I was hoping. I figure to remove all the speakers as well so I can give the box a good cleaning.
I'll tag everything and photograph and take close up video with my iPad so as not to rely on my memory.