CL Discolite Restored

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
chris - not sure- but i dont think there are any pots or controls for the blinking rate --

i have however --rigged its line-in to another box --and the volume control from the other box works perfectly
to control both the intensity and frequency of the center lights and the perimeter lights

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Chris, you are an inspiration to all of us, brother. :cool: :bow: That is one fine restoration. If that thing could talk, it would be saying, "Thanks for saving me!"

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Northerner said:
Looks bloody lovely...I'm a real sucker for blingy flashing lights so love this :-)
I'll tell ya, when I got into searching for boxes, I was looking for ONE thing...Silver One Piece boxes! I was living with blinders on. Then I got the 935 and 975 and my "Design Eye" changed. Then I started seeing the beauty beyond.

Black and Chrome elegance like a Tuxedo. Crazy Bling like this Discolite. And most recently after ready threads for years by members like Freddy and Hans and Norm talking about feature packed, logic decked high end boomboxes that are closer to mobile recording studios, my mind has finally opened up to the amazing world of 3 piece master pieces. I haven't really collected any YET, but I see them as if for the first time.

milosancho said:
Man that box cleaned up nice. And man you work fast, Chris! One day in your hands and it is close to show ready. I have several, several boxes I need to take apart and give them a good cleaning and fixing.......and I've had them for a while now. Good work.
Yeah, I'm still riding the adrenaline high of the purchase. But I am usually like that. I get a box and power through it. I want to show it off. I also want to know what I have and if it's all working. I can't sleep until it's finished!

No better time than now to dig into a box and get that "To Do List" whittled down! :yes:

redbenjoe said:
chris - not sure- but i dont think there are any pots or controls for the blinking rate --

i have however --rigged its line-in to another box --and the volume control from the other box works perfectly
to control both the intensity and frequency of the center lights and the perimeter lights
That is interesting! So it is controlled by whatever the volume going into it is. I have noticed, when the radio is on. EVERYTHING IS MAXED OUT. The signal is so strong that the LED Meters are not metering, they are just lit (like me most of the time). I haven't really tested the lights against the input power of the cassette deck, but the line in can be adjusted like you mentioned.

Reli said:
Top quality work, man! And so soon!
Thanks Hans, I have to get these things cleaned and stacked..."More new products coming in everyday at Crazy Chris' Wall of Sound & Bait Shop"

Fatdog said:
Chris, you are an inspiration to all of us, brother. :cool: :bow: That is one fine restoration. If that thing could talk, it would be saying, "Thanks for saving me!"
Awww man, Thank You...I'll tell ya, my inspiration comes from all you guys. Seeing the guys this past weekend at the meet just fired me up again. So many radio's, so many styles, so many reasons to have this one or that one. Hearing the stories of "Why" each member collect's what they collect.

You wanna know the funniest part...When I first joined Boomboxery, I was a novice and a bit intimidated, only had 3 radios (920, 777z, SCR-8). I was trying hard to get in the conversation but didn't really have much to add, so I kind of lurked around from thread to thread. Then I posted about one of the cassette deck heads on my 777 was all scratched up. It looks like someone took a screwdriver to it trying to scrape it clean. YOU, Bobby, mailed me a replacement head FREE and I was floored. That was with in a really short period of time being on the forum and I realized right there what KIND OF PLACE this was.

So, I printed the manual I found for the 777 on the forum, opened it up to have a look and it scared the hell out of me. I closed it up and never put the part in :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think my skill set has risen some since then :-D and it's time to go back and have another look. :yes: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again guys!

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Man, how do you do it? I can't ever make them shine like that!! Simply amazing :drool: :drool: I've got some simple water spots on my m50 that is driving me insane but I can't for the life of me find the right mixture of sauces to make them go away. Not to mention my lasonic 931 that looks like a similar black just doesn't shine at all. Sure wish you were local :lol:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
k2j said:
Man, how do you do it? I can't ever make them shine like that!! Simply amazing :drool: :drool: I've got some simple water spots on my m50 that is driving me insane but I can't for the life of me find the right mixture of sauces to make them go away. Not to mention my lasonic 931 that looks like a similar black just doesn't shine at all. Sure wish you were local :lol:
I'm thinking of trying one of the headlight polishing kits that have been talked about. I have used them on the clear plastic on the front of the VZ2000. Some members have had good luck polishing the black case. I think it's time to find out for myself.

People can say what they want about the black boxes, but the control face label / sticker on this era of box has heledup well. The 935, 975, discolite and other control panel stickers clean up well and have held up to the test of time, unlike the aluminum faced boxes that were screen printed. Of course they don't look as CLASSIC as the silvers, but they still have their charm.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
UPDATE!!!!

Our Amazing member Jimmy - bklyn sound sent me a PM with this....

YES...That is all the switches, EQ sliders and buttons that I need to make this radio 100% complete.

A little paint matching and bingo, that will be it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH JIMMY AND ADAM for hooking me up with these super rare parts!

00dcf9d1dcc9376b0f1aa75e2145dd8a.jpg

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
bklyn sound said:
Man Im happy to help out ... that what it's all about brother!! :thumbsup:
===================================

start to finish - and with all this awesome member teamwork -- this is the greatest // most exciting thread ever !!!!!!!!!!!

eddie murphy .. trading places ... " first jesus then moses now THIS "

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
This is a prime example of what separates us from every other forum on the WWW...no hatin..nothing but props for an awesome score and effort.
You fn rock, Chris.
Long live Boomboxery.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thanks again guys. Boomboxery REALLY is something different.

I watch Youtube and it doesn't matter what the video subject is, the comments are all mean spirited hateful trolling. If you read any of the comments on news sites, it's the same. People on the web are seriously behind the game when you compare it to Boomboxery.

Less than a week ago I would have NEVER thought there would be a Discolite sitting in my Boom Room.

I have a personal list of...

1) REAL OBTAINABLE RADIOS
2) HOPEFULLY I COULD GET ONE OF THOSE RADIOS
3) AND PROBABLY WILL NEVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE RADIOS AND THAT'S OK.

#3 is the obvious, super high dollar grails, M90, Wheely, Discolite ect.

#2 Are radio's I could save for, but would be on the edge of what I am comfortable paying

#1 are everything on eBay up to a few hundred dollars.

The Discolite is something I long ago checked off my list simply because of price and because of poor reviews.

I am just in TOTAL AWE when I walk in and see this thing on the shelf. But even more than all that is the fact that when all is said and done and the dust settles...This is going to be a completely functional 100% working radio with all the buttons, switches and knobs and as we all know, that can be the biggest challenge when you're talking 30 year plastic radio's with many parts.

Which brings me back too...

Boomboxery
When I joined this site and first started looking at what it would really take to get a few radio's it became immediately clear that I would need some sort of support team, parts channel or contacts list. Right away I saw people trading parts, but struggled a little getting in the cue. Once my vernacular caught up with my post count those channels opened up.

In the end, I don't think it can be done without Boomboxery. Even with cash, the battery door and EQ sliders were not being listed on eBay, it's only through good old fashioned FRIENDSHIP that the pieces came together.

It's one hell of a social study going on right here and Boomboxery is winning!

Thanks again everyone SERIOUSLY

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
Chris is the man, nuff said ;-) . You won't meet a nicer, more down to earth guy. Anyone who met Chris knows exactly what i'm talking about! :thumbsup:

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
See, that's what I mean when I say that some of the members here go to heroic lengths to restore the most forgotten boomboxes & bring them back from the brink.....

It looks good too...

Cpl

Status
Not open for further replies.