Bumpboxx renounces partnerships with some

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The original Bumpboxx with its’ cheap $299 pricing and free swag was a good deal which created a lot of buzz particularly on Faceballs. :-)

But after they doubled the price and then brought out a pricey $899 Bumpboxx, the market they initially appealed to (kids and teens) was shut out due to cost.

It sounds like they’re cutting costs to try and save the operation.

Jorge

Member (SA)
Jul 12, 2017
California
square-2.com
Me too!!! Good Business Practice nowadays is totally f***, sorry, distorted nowadays!!! Glad I never fell for this fad: M70 is my next buy once Boss gives her blessing...

retro

Aug 12, 2010
New York
Sorry to hear about this Dr. Der after all you’ve given them, makes me glad I held on to the designs I almost submitted.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Fatdog said:
Hmm, I'm just sitting here thinking what that means for sponsorship of the Vegas meet this year. :hmmm:
We are all set to make Vegas happen without em :-) We never needed em in the 1st place to tell the truth.

We are taking this years Vegas meet back to what its all about, the BOOMBOX. Last year not one old school boombox was played or heard. It was more of a "show". This year we will be taking it back to a more personal level just like the first Vegas meet.

I saw this coming, I'm glad to see you part ways, and come back to what we are really about,THE BOOMBOX. You got to network, meet, and rub elbows with tons of musicians while riding the bumpboxx wave, I'd say it was fun while it lasted, but welcome back to the TRUE scene where we do this for the love of the boombox, and not profit. Good to have you back...

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
You nailed it SLO - the video from last year with bumpboxx was just a stage to put on a show to showcase their product. No where near the true knob turning blaster fest we had together the year before. Truly real old school blasters, family, walking the streets of LV. It was a time I will never forget.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
SLO said:
Hmm, I'm just sitting here thinking what that means for sponsorship of the Vegas meet this year. :hmmm:
We are all set to make Vegas happen without em :-) We never needed em in the 1st place to tell the truth.

We are taking this years Vegas meet back to what its all about, the BOOMBOX. Last year not one old school boombox was played or heard. It was more of a "show". This year we will be taking it back to a more personal level just like the first Vegas meet.

I saw this coming, I'm glad to see you part ways, and come back to what we are really about,THE BOOMBOX. You got to network, meet, and rub elbows with tons of musicians while riding the bumpboxx wave, I'd say it was fun while it lasted, but welcome back to the TRUE scene where we do this for the love of the boombox, and not profit. Good to have you back...
Word to that brother, getting back to what we all love is essential. Maybe we have lessons to learn from this.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
SLO said:
Last year not one old school boombox was played or heard. It was more of a "show". This year we will be taking it back to a more personal level just like the first Vegas meet.
When all this Bumpboxx stuff starting happening here at Boomboxery, I honestly was a little put out for two main reasons:

1. It seemed Bumpboxx were just ripping off the big DIY boxes that home builders all around the world had been building and posting on YouTube for years calling theirs a ‘unique concept’.

2. It also seemed like the collective eye was being taken away from the vintage blasters and onto a glorified DIY box.

But I was impressed how they could offer so much performance for only $299.00 - little did we know this price was only a short lived scheme to suck everyone in.

When two of our most esteemed members joined their ranks, I thought ‘well who am I to doubt this company when guys truly in the know are getting involved?’.

I still tried to remain positive about Bumpboxx despite the whole mono thing and all the QC problems proud Bumboxx owners were experiencing.

But to now find out that Bumpboxx had taken control over the last Vegas meet and had allowed it to degenerate into a pure Bumpboxx promotional event
IS JUST PURE B U L L S H I T !!!!!!

The vintage boxes were just ‘silent stage props’ like one of those modern music videos where everyone is dancing around a switched off vintage Boombox.!!!

Now that both Chris and Dave have been kicked to the curb, I now say ‘Bumboxx be gone!!!’ :lol:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Superduper said:
Aiwa's sponsorship was much more appreciative as far as I'm concerned. I still have that Aiwa 9.
Agreed, Joe Born is very cool to deal with on any level. His help with the Exos 9 auction the 1st year was very much appreciated :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Last year not one old school boombox was played or heard. It was more of a "show". This year we will be taking it back to a more personal level just like the first Vegas meet.
When all this Bumpboxx stuff starting happening here at Boomboxery, I honestly was a little put out for two main reasons:
1. It seemed Bumpboxx were just ripping off the big DIY boxes that home builders all around the world had been building and posting on YouTube for years calling theirs a ‘unique concept’.
2. It also seemed like the collective eye was being taken away from the vintage blasters and onto a glorified DIY box.
But I was impressed how they could offer so much performance for only $299.00 - little did we know this price was only a short lived scheme to suck everyone in.
When two of our most esteemed members joined their ranks, I thought ‘well who am I to doubt this company when guys truly in the know are getting involved?’.
I still tried to remain positive about Bumpboxx despite the whole mono thing and all the QC problems proud Bumboxx owners were experiencing.
But to now find out that Bumpboxx had taken control over the last Vegas meet and had allowed it to degenerate into a pure Bumpboxx promotional event
IS JUST PURE B U L L S H I T !!!!!!
The vintage boxes were just ‘silent stage props’ like one of those modern music videos where everyone is dancing around a switched off vintage Boombox.!!!
Now that both Chris and Dave have been kicked to the curb, I now say ‘Bumboxx be gone!!!’ :lol:
Yea Jimmy you are right. I told Dave after last years meet..."It was fun, but not one classic boombox was even powered on or played" and that's not a boombox meet. So yes unfortunately our beloved blaster's we're nothing but display, and photo props :-/

This year will be much different. We WILL be heard, cassette reels will spin, volume knobs and sliders WILL be cranked up! No free bumpboxx giveaways and raffles, no hype, no "special guest" performers, just good ol boombox goodness with friends and family :-) Boomboxery style.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
A meet without messing with vintage boomboxes ain’t no fun! That’s what it’s all about imo. Good to get back to normal :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Man **** that , glad I didn't go because I would a acted the goddamn fool , I'd been like denzel , king Kong ain't got **** on me lol. And commenced to burn that motherfucker down with big evil.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
@SLO and all the West Coast crew....

When you guys held the last Venice Beach meet and it was advertised as "CLASSIC'S ONLY", I knew right then you guys are on the right path and all the heads that supported it made that event all that more special. This up coming Vegas meet will solidify that. We collect vintage blasters AND we did extend a hand to the new products hoping for the best.

I haven't told my story yet. It's ugly and I ain't happy. I'm holding off telling it for one reason and that is to see if Bumpboxx is going to straight up RIP OFF my designs. There is a time table involved here. Last I spoke to them, back in January, they gave me an idea that I am holding on too. Once that time passes, I will know if they are ripping me off by side stepping me and putting a classic into production without me, or abandoning the classic idea all together. It's possible there could be legal action, so I am holding my tongue. But to be honest with you, I don't see this going anyway positive. Those guys showed me their hand when I was in China, not really a smart thing to do, but they did it. I haven't shared that information. But when I see people come to this site, who have purchased their products and are having problems I know exactly why and I know the mentality of the people who let those problems make it to the customer and why.

Boomboxery is a multifaceted web community that covers many subjects. The subject I am here for is classic Boomboxes.
LONG LIVE THE PLASTIC BLASTER!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
No regrets here, but the fact that they took some of our members for a ride makes me want to smash mine.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I've been spending so much time browsing the General section that I have been missing all of this. I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to two of our finest members. On any given day I remember seeing Dave posting and propping up the Bumpboxx brand.

I have heard a few that are talking about smashing or burning their Bumpboxx. I paid $499.99 for mine. Yes...that's correct! I didn't get any specials. I paid Full price and thought it was in stereo when purchased. I assumed and that bit me. I'll continue to use my Bumpboxx until it dies but after that, I plan to go my own way with it and finally make the thing stereo :-) I personally wouldn't be disrespectful to anyone if they had a Bumpboxx because IMO it doesn't make sense to take what has happened out on owners or the BT Speaker itself. We all know that we are good people here. While I am disappointed in what has happened, I hope to get my 500 dollars out of my box nonetheless. Glad I got a good one that hasn't given any issues in 2 years.

Some interesting facts. I was the first to post a video on YouTube and get the word out about it being Mono (since been removed). I also was the first to find out that the Gen1 could record onto USB and SD Card. In my manual it wasn't known. I contacted them via FB and this led to reprints of the manual adding this feature.....no credit to me was given but hey...I didn't expect it either.

Again, I feel bad for Dr Der and Lasonic. On a good note I have been very happy with the community here. It's hard to believe its been years since I joined.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Bumpboxx box might think they're badass but don't never compete with the DIY Boombox Builders of Boomboxery we will smoke their ass every f****** time.