ATTENTION UK MEMBERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Just got home from a long drive, I got up super early as i had to be home by 1pm for a family event.

Just to echo what everyone has said, Rory (HisRudeness) was a diamond, more than that he was an absolute natural host and made so much effort. The food was stunning and there was plenty of it along with plenty of booze.

Meeting Chris was a pleasure, he's a legend around these parts anyway and its clear why, one of the most genuine people i have met and i could talk to him for hours, a proper ambassador. His battle scarred 920 is awesome to. You can see it does the rounds with him and he loves it, im adding that to my list of must haves.

Floyd you were right i got my MX-920 at long last, I was properly like a kid in a sweet shop with so many boxes there but once i shook on the deal for the 920 i could not stop smiling. Not many things in this world can do that, i farking love this hobby.

Special thanks to Docs and Charlotte and Geoff who performed improptu surgey on my box and repaired the deck. Docs made a quick "do you want me to look at the deck on that" and several hours later him and Char had repaired it. I was so stoked. It should be pointed out that i thought Docs was a genius (he is, confirmed) but the other half of the story is that his missus is to !! She knows as much or more about boombox repairs than most and she was right in there up to her elbows fixing my Sanyo !! Truly legendary, thank you so much.

I left with a fully working Sanyo MX-920 and a Rising 2020 among others and lots of memories. Result.

Oh yeah and the Bumboxx, let me tell you, nothing prepares you for that thing it is insane, a destroyer. I had heard all the stereo/mono debate and read with interest all the other threads and nothing is better than seeing it in person, monstrous.

I need one of these in my life so Rob, lets get a UK distributor going, there were several of us at the meet that wanted one!!!
20170722_145919_resized.jpg

Here it is eating a mini !

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Great to meet you Mr T, was a genuine pleasure to meet you and everyone there, lots of fun, jokes, serious business and most importantly, blasting!
Thanks also to geoffhartwell for the team effort on a quick repair of your 920.
How could we refuse Mr T, when the smile on your face provided such happiness to the whole group
And yes it's true, behind a great man is a greater woman, absolutely true in my case.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah thats just freaking badass. Happy for you, your're now part of the exclusive C100 club :drool:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
T-STER said:
Yeah thats just freaking badass. Happy for you, your're now part of the exclusive C100 club :drool:
Also known as the "oh **** I've accidentally spent way too much on a boombox club"...lol...you only live once so what the hell, I wanted one and it's not like I'm gonna stumble across one at a car boot sale. So I've paid the price of admission to the club!

geoffhartwell

Member (SA)
May 12, 2009
suffolk uk
just like to say a massive thanks to our host rory for an awesome day , great food and beer, some awesome and rare boxes to sound test and play with, it was a genuine pleasure to meet all you guys and put faces to names . Now we all know the secret behind dave's (aka docs) tec skills is his good wife Charlotte, ;-) . Some good deals and trades done too. The best deal imho was t-ster sanyo 920 and his big smile and excitement of getting one of his must haves, aslo massive thanks to Chris for getting this meet of the ground. Bring on the next meet

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
I do not know what member from the London meet it was . But when I was on FaceTime with chris that member took a picture of Chris's phone when we were talking.. lol .. post that picture...

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Hey Guys, I made it back, what a wild ride.

First and foremost, Hisrudeness is anything but rude! Rory, I can’t thank you enough for allowing me into your home/parents’ home. Unbelievably generous of you. As other stated, you’re a natural host and this event could have never happened without all you hard work. The food was over the moon and all your efforts paid off.

I have been in this community for some time but to have the opportunity to shake the hands of collectors that have done it far longer, with far larger collections than I will ever have was incredible. The UK guys take this all to a whole new level. It must be some sort of National pride to have the absolute prime examples of the rarest boxes out there. So many radios I have never seen in person and almost every one of them looked like they just came out of the box in 1982. It made my head spin.

What I really liked about this meet is, there was a table where each radio was cycled through, one at a time and we all had the chance to see, hear and touch it. If you wanted to hear something, all you had to do was grab it and plug it in. FANTASTIC. I have hosted some meets, where we had tables set up, power cords to all of the radios and an FM transmitter going, so they were all on at once, but to be honest, in the end, I never really heard them. I think this is a better way to do it. Showcasing one at a time.

Also, having the chance to see the legendary DOCS perform surgery with Nurse Charlotte on his side was a privilege. I have now see DOCS and Superduper work live in person. AMAZING! I also want to say, Charlotte (DOCS wife) knows her way around the tool box and a blaster! We all need to send our wives to her for a Summer Boot Camp!

I too got to roll up my sleeves and go shoulder to shoulder with the boys on a quick fix on Northerner’s C100 which solidified our bond’s. A little brain storming and multi-meter testing to track down a faulty solder joint on the power supply got it running on AC power. Seb is a master with a Multi-meter. A pleasure to see him work his magic.

The Bumpboxx got the reaction I was hoping for. Nothing can really prepare you for the first time that thing is cranked up. Rob from Bumpboxx did us a solid (as he always does for this community) and we can’t thank him enough. Seb, the winner of the Bumpboxx was a worthy recipient and it was comical to see him load it into the back of a Porsche 944.

I had the chance to see Hisrudeness’ personal collection (or most of it) on Sunday and again…WOW. The top models in the top condition. His WX-1 is factory fresh, the BB40, the S90, M90, Sanyo's, Toshibas, Panasonic's and on and on. High end Mini’s, ocean’s of one piecer’s. All flawless. It’s overwhelming.

In the end, I was thrilled to hear the guys saying “We have to do this again”. If I have done anything right in this community, and being the catalyst in this movement of meets, then I am a happy man. There is already talk of a date and location for next year and I will be on a plane!

Lastly, We all spoke about how we wished MyOhMy could have been there. The talk for next year is for it to be up North. If that is the case, maybe she could attend.

Thanks again everyone. You’re the best!

I did make a few deals myself. Not too smart to be buying radios in a far away land and then having to get them home. But when Stereomad makes you an offer you can't refuse YOU BUY and worry about all that later.

More on that soon....

Here are so shots of the radio's in attendance. I tried to get them all, I'm sure I missed many in the mayhem.

ocean's of radios....

Attachments

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
DSCN0909.jpgDSCN0910.jpgDSCN0913.jpgDSCN0915.jpgDSCN0916.jpgDSCN0918.jpgDSCN0919.jpgDSCN0920.jpgDSCN0921.jpg

I did mention there was food right!

Rory's mother had her friend come in and cook for us. OVER THE TOP!

DSCN0817.jpgDSCN0820.jpg

Preparing for the big photoshoot

DSCN0876.jpgDSCN0878.jpgDSCN0879.jpgDSCN0880.jpgDSCN0881.jpgDSCN0882.jpgDSCN0883.jpgDSCN0884.jpgDSCN0885.jpgDSCN0886.jpgDSCN0887.jpgDSCN0888.jpg

Hisrudeness and his Court! :bow:

DSCN0897.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Food, drink, boxes, collectors, soldering irons, screwdrivers, bubble wrap, sticky gooey belts, Pimms o'clock, Porsches, yellow buses, more boxes, big trades, little trades, British weather, laughs, giggles, handshakes, more beer, second helpings, friends, music.

Some keywords from the event.
Great to see everyone, Tre, Lee, Simon, Docs, Seb, Geoff, Dave, and the ladies. And of course Chris. Nobody represents this boombox movement better than you. I had great times with Chris this weekend and we seemed to pack in a lot of things in a short time. Great conversations about life, travel and different boombox philosophies.

Felt like I've known you guys for years, (some of you I have)

Status
Not open for further replies.