Which models have the "Biggest bass and highest highs"?

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
BoomboxLover48 said:
It is finaly at home!!
One of the best sounding and the most sophisticated boxes ever made. I love mine and hug it! :yes:
Lol!! It does sound good and even better with the Ambience option ON. 🙂

Coast Steve said:
That's sure different looking.
I like different. 🙂

Attachments

ZacMac

Member (SA)
Mar 31, 2016
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Coast Steve said:
I would assume the Sharp GF777 since it's so big?

Any comments on the biggest clean sounding hitters?

I'm used to hearing the power of my vintage 1978 Pioneer SX 1080 and 980 receivers,
If you guys like the vintage boom box's I bet you'll like these. (120 watts and 80 watts a channel)

I know it's a long way from this type of power when you compare to a portable box though.

I LOVE the old classic box even more than these receivers even still.
I use to have a Pioneer SX-1080 and I loved that baby! Absolutely amazing but I sold it for a decent sum a few years ago, I currently rock a Panasonic RX-C100 for my main music pumper!

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
ZacMac said:

I'm used to hearing the power of my vintage 1978 Pioneer SX 1080 and 980 receivers,
If you guys like the vintage boom box's I bet you'll like these. (120 watts and 80 watts a channel)

I know it's a long way from this type of power when you compare to a portable box though.

I use to have a Pioneer SX-1080 and I loved that baby! Absolutely amazing but I sold it for a decent sum a few years ago, I currently rock a Panasonic RX-C100 for my main music pumper!
Hey ZacMac
That RX-C100 still rockin!! I enjoy mine verymuch too

ZacMac said:

Hey ZacMac
That RX-C100 still rockin!! I enjoy mine verymuch too

Sel The Don

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2015
Bursa, Turkey
A few of my observations of some of the boxes I own.

Sharp GF 767/777 - ran out of bass oomph pretty early and distorts upon turning the volume up. I was really surprised at the lack of bass power these have.

Philips D8444 PowerPlayer - Actually a really nice sounding box with good bass and highs, not much in the way of power though despite it's name.

Hitachi 3D5 - excellent highs but bass distorts from lowish volumes, could be better.

JVC PC-168 - Really powerful 3 piecer with excellent bass and highs with some bass distortion when really flogging it - sounds very similar to the Conion V-121.

Vela Discolite DK-7000 - Bloody surprising this box as I thought it was gonna sound crap, all flash and no cash but no, Nice bass and highs.

Sony FH-7 MK1 - The best of the bunch. Gobs of power, mad bass and crystal clear mid and highs. My favourite box for sound.

Sanyo M9998k/MX 920k - Nice warm sound with smooth bass and highs which only start to flap once you start pushing it hard.

Grundig Jumbo 747 - Loud and loads of bass, slightly distorts under high volumes,

That'll do for now :)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Sel The Don said:
Sharp GF 767/777 - ran out of bass oomph pretty early and distorts upon turning the volume up. I was really surprised at the lack of bass power these have.
Yeah you have to leave the subwoofer knob at 50% or less, otherwise the subs get all muddy

Sel The Don said:
Philips D8444 PowerPlayer - Actually a really nice sounding box with good bass and highs, not much in the way of power though despite it's name.
Strange..... Mine is one of my least favorite boxes to play.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
Just goes to show; they're all old. How they play/ respond will depend on a lot of factors.

The best suggestion is the "go to a boombox meet and try each one". Then you run into the some have better cassette players, some have better radio receivers conundrum.

Take a couple of cassettes. Be prepared to lose those to the gods of sound (they may get eaten.) Take an FM transmitter.

There are some general rules I think we can agree on;
*The more power the boombox outputs, in general the louder it is capable of being. It can also drive bigger woofers, increasing low end response.
*The bigger the speakers, the easier it is to get good low frequency sound. That said, the "woofer" in my Sharp QT73-CD is tiny. It uses a tuned reasonance box to deliver the goods.
*The more speakers in the radio, in general the easier it is to get "good sound" as you can isolate high frequencies from lower frequencies at the speakers. All my boomboxes have a minimum of 6 speakers. Even my bluetooth speaker (3 speakers 4 passive radiators.)

At the end of the day sound is moving air, its basic physics.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, so forgive me if it has, but the Sanyo Big Ben easily has the highest of the highs with insane clarity to my ears.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 12.37.06 AM.png

I remember going through a phase of listening to Charles Mingus on my Big Ben at a volume where the high notes were incredibly dynamic, and with the 'Super Woofer' the bottom end of the soundstage kept rich with presence. It's still a wonderful experience I go back to regularly.

I think bass response is a bit harder and more variable to really be objective about, but I do love the classic Lasonic bass pound along with the more refined bass of the M90 and the higher end threepiecers.. again, it gets kind of murky for absolutes once you factor in the music you're listening to.

Rock On.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I agree, the Big Ben is the best sounding 1-piece I've ever heard. Better than the M90 in my opinion.

neanderthal said:
*The more speakers in the radio, in general the easier it is to get "good sound" as you can isolate high frequencies from lower frequencies at the speakers. All my boomboxes have a minimum of 6 speakers. Even my bluetooth speaker (3 speakers 4 passive radiators.)
I have several 4-speaker boxes that sound better than my 6-speaker boxes.
It's the quality of the components that matters, not the number of speakers.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Reli said:
I agree, the Big Ben is the best sounding 1-piece I've ever heard. Better than the M90 in my opinion.

I have several 4-speaker boxes that sound better than my 6-speaker boxes.
It's the quality of the components that matters, not the number of speakers.
big ben was superb just no power like all sanyos

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Superduper said:
Rimmer officially wins the prize for the biggest party pooper, most negative everything cuz everything is shite, sees the bad in everything and nothing good ever to say trophy. Congrats.
Runner is correct! Furthermore having higher standards vs settling for mediocrity helps the consumer in the end get a better sounding product.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I would say the Big Ben has power, enough to move that sub visibly, plus spit out some huge treble (more treble than any other 1-piece, IMO).

It's the MX920 that needs more power.