Which models have the "Biggest bass and highest highs"?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
skippy1969 said:
My vote is for the Telefunken Studio 1 and 1M.
Built like a brick shitehouse and lots of power and 3 way quality speakers. :stereo:
Not super portable though.
Yeah, the bass of the Studio 1 is astonishing, especially when you consider the time frame it was built.
It "Can be" carried and does take batteries, but fook me if I'm luggin' that thing down the block!

The Lasonic TRC-975 with the LBS system hit's freaking hard too.

Superduper

Member (SA)
So a box with the biggest bass and the highest highs.... where's the midrange? Without the mids, it will just sound like loud ear annoying noise. In other words, not accurate or balanced. Take a amplifier with bass/mid/treble controls, turn the midrange all the way down and crank the other two all the way up and see what you got.

Bottom line, balance accurate sound is so much better. Otherwise, just get a equalizer and distort the sound to your ears wishes.

M90, RX-7200.... both are awesome, loud and accurate sounding boxes.

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Superduper said:
So a box with the biggest bass and the highest highs.... where's the midrange? Without the mids, it will just sound like loud ear annoying noise. In other words, not accurate or balanced. Take a amplifier with bass/mid/treble controls, turn the midrange all the way down and crank the other two all the way up and see what you got.

Bottom line, balance accurate sound is so much better. Otherwise, just get a equalizer and distort the sound to your ears wishes.

Mine as it all... 😜😀

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The best thing to do would be to go to one of the Boombox meets and test all the boxes out for yourself and see which one speaks to you the most.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Superduper said:

don;t get me started on eq's my friend, i have heard upto 5 thousand $ amps and they all sound shiteeee lol, stick 2 eq's on and it's better than sex 1 eq is mickty mouse...many have told me this and then shiteeee the bed when they heard my systems lol

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
All of this talk is largely irrelevant anyway as the performance of any particular M90 or GF-777 is dependant on so many variables.

In other words, one guys M90 can sound very different to another guys M90. I’ve heard some GF-777’s sound like distorting heaps but one particular one I heard was an overachieving powerhouse. :rock:

You’re not buying a brand new item, these boomboxes are way, way past their use by dates so don’t get too hung up on which model was ‘best’ when new way back in 1980!! :-)
James is right!

I've heard people complaining about many high end boxes like M90, RX 5350 and GF777. It all depends on the condition in which they are after so many years.
I remember how GF9696 sounded when I had it brand new out of the box in 1982. No distortion at all even at higher volume. I have 3 of those types and one sound the best of all, others are okay! Again one should not turn the loudness and bass all the way up, you are asking for distorted sound. ~Royce

Superduper said:

Totally agree with Norm!

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
JVC Floyd said:
The best thing to do would be to go to one of the Boombox meets and test all the boxes out for yourself and see which one speaks to you the most.
That would be cool!! 🔊😯🔊

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
JVC Floyd said:
Hi Floyd, But it is hard to say if they are all working well.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Norm1968 said:
That looks wicked!!
i agree, superb job there
Thanks Rimmer!!
id swap an m90 or a conion for you're box Norm, fly over lol :-)

Hmmmm lol

i farking would you know lol. a good 3 piece urinates on an m90, you can take that to the bank lol :yes: :-)

Norm1968

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Rimmer36 said:
That looks wicked!!
i agree, superb job there
Thanks Rimmer!!id swap an m90 or a conion for you're box Norm, fly over lol :-)
Hmmmm lol

i farking would you know lol. a good 3 piece urinates on an m90, you can take that to the bank lol :yes: :-)
You would know better than me. Lol
Never heard an m90 or even came close to one. It’s got the looks... 😎 as for sound... I wouldn’t know.
But I’m listening to my Panny at this very moment and... dawm!!!! Lol.

Picking up a classic box tomorrow... My second one peace, the other one being a Sony CFS-500, finaly my RX-7200 as arrived. I hear good things about it. Trying not to expect to much. 🙂