Sunshine Mix 2011 - Updated poll, please respond.

Do you plan on attending the 2011 meet? And if so, how many hotel nights?

• I will not attend the 2011 Sunshine Mix, regardless of location.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I don't care where it is, I'm coming to Florida regardless.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I will come, but only if it is at the same location as before.

• I would attend the meet if it were at a beach hotel, and stay 1 night.

• I would attend the meet if it were at a beach hotel, and stay 2 nights.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I would attend the meet if it were at a beach hotel, and stay 3 nights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would attend the meet if it were at a beach hotel, and stay for a week or longer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
-GZ- said:
blu_fuz said:
GZ, the only way you are invited is if you bring a grail to sacrifice to me. Has to be a Conion C100F or a JVC M90 - other than that, you are more than welcome :yes: .

How old are you?

Just checking to see if I will be the youngest of the bunch (but most definetly one of the coolest :cool: )
Im 30 and I am definitely the coolest because I wear skinny jeans.....totally kidding.
....but I would locate and deliver you the actual Holy Grail before I gave up one of mine.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
30 yrs old and you still listen to new boyz :lol: .

I'm 27, so we can make spud and skip feel even older. Hahaha

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
blu_fuz said:
30 yrs old and you still listen to new boyz :lol: .

I'm 27, so we can make spud and skip feel even older. Hahaha
Uhhhhhh I assume that's ok that I don't know who new boyz is?

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
As I said if anyone wants to come here your more than welcome, I told you guys about the heat in July before and mentioned it again when we started talking about the next meet (this year), I don't think the clubhouse was that hot during any of the last meets. I know I was running around like crazy trying to get everything ready, picking up last minute soda or ice and than going back and forth to my Trailer park home and back to the clubhouse so I know I was probably sweating to death but that's what happens down here in JuneJuly. The clubhouse couldn't have been so terrible that we had the meet here 3 years in a row. But as I said what ever you guys want to do is ok with me, the club house is available and reserved for us just in case we need it.

As for running out of room don't forget how much space Lyle was taking up last year as well and that last year was our biggest meet so far.

Of course it is majorly convenient and inexpensive for me if the meet is here, I probably wouldn't have gone to any of them if it wasn't here. And I also have offered members from out of state a place to stay for free here with us if any of them needed it. But I understand everyone has different expenses for their travel and lodging etc, but even though I live here we had expenses too, you think it's cheap to feed 20 or so people? And than Linda spending hours the night before putting together pans and pans of Ziti, and having to get it all ready for the day of the meet, she did that because that is how she is, she didn't get anything for her time and she still would do it again this year. I do greatly appreciate the donations that were given last year they covered just about everything we spent but the year before collections that were given did not, that fact didn't make Linda and I say forget it we won't host again.

So it sounds like a few of you just don't want to come up here, that's fine not all of us get along and it isn't going to effect my life at all if someone doesn't like me, or want to hang out at our trailer park clubhouse, oh well. I have other things I could be doing that weekend anyway. thanks

Let me know what you decide.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
You know...

I have read all three of the threads. And for the most part, we seem like a bunch of grumpy old men at times. :-/ So I though I would do a little history. See, Bobby and I had the Mid-South first. (Even if it was only the two of us and our wives...)

And then I...YES I...had this looney idea...

Any one remember "Calling Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, and others in the "Derrty Souf"...

Remember this thread in the old hood?

http://www.stereo2go.com/displayForumTopic/content/193392314111803874/page/1

We need to remember the excitement of the first meet, the excitement of seeing one another, the fun ribbing one another regardless what our background was. We acted like kids in a candy store. A weekend to "get away". And how it grew from more than a regional exercise to international attendees?

We didn't overthink it...WE MADE IT HAPPEN!!! Let's have some thoughful response, step up and offer some suggestions, solid discussion and realize we can't make everyone happy. Even though it is "Boombox" focused, I'd rather have you all, and the opportunity, to see you all first.

Let's not lose the energy of the first meet. We have lot's of new members who have an opportunity to see what drives us along with those driven enough to drive crazy distances to be there.

Tighten up boys! Let's get this thing together, cut the crap, act like grown men and work it out, so when we get there we can act like idiots and try to blow our ears out! :thumbsup:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
asking our poll persons :-)
jeatee and/or fatdog

will you guys simplify the poll --please

have just 2 (LIKE TWO) options - ;-)

forget prose and reasons and the 'how many days' bit :-)
and forget about who wont go where :-D

i think we need votes from ::
who is sure to attend -
and who is at least 51% sure to attend

and the vote should be for saturday 6-26

1. tonys clubhouse
2. beach motel

or --'either is fine'

okokok

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Ed, thanks for looking into the availablity of the Isis Hotel, I think the Isis pics look fantastic! The location looks great and price is definitely very reasonable.

And Ira, you don't need us to start a poll. Just Do It..! :-D (I learned my lesson with this one, and I have a feeling that if I do another poll that people with throw up and I will be kicked out of here! :lol: )

The goal with my poll was to try to determine if there was sufficient interest and support for doing something different this year and maybe appeal to some former attendees to come down again. And also to offer up some ideas for locations that might make for an easier sell to those who have to convince a significant other that the trip is worthwhile beyond a chance to look at and hear a wide variety of boomboxes. Another aspect of this was to determine if we, as an international forum of collectors, were ready to take this to the next level where we would not need to rely on having access to a free location. Plus, with Tony pretty much M.I.A. from this forum for most of the last 11 months, when we did start talking about the meet again, he seemed somewhat muted about hosting a 4th meet... And I want to be clear that this was never about having the meet closer to my location. I would have been just as willing to do a beach location on the East Coast, down in South Florida or up in the Panhandle...

But, I must admit that the numbers of participants who submitted a reply to the poll were lower than expected. I don't know if that was because there's not much interest in doing the meet, or if some were too shy to speak up and render an opinion. Also, despite my overly passionate rebuttals, I think it's worth noting that the members willing to travel the furthest to get here (that we know of) and who acutally vocalized an opinion for a specific location, seemed just as passionate in their support of the Sorrento location as Ed and I were of doing it at an inexpensive beach hotel. Despite the numbers in this poll indicating a bit more interest for the beach location, nobody else really spoke up in support of our idea when compared to those who offered criticisms to changing the venue.

As such, I just don't see how we (as a forum family) would benefit from doing the beach option if it jeopardizes those potential attendees and keeps them at home. Please believe me when I tell you that the last thing I wanted to do was create a division with a hard line drawn in the proverbial sand with factions on either side. I sincerely apologize to everyone for that.

Also, nowhere in this thread did I ever say I wouldn't come to Sorrento. And in re-reading my post where I was describing the two locations being discussed, I can definitely see how my tone might come across as somewhat elitist and as if I was directly disrespecting where Tony lives. I also apologize to him directly for that (and to anyone else who lives in a trailer and might have been offended). I've got nothing against trailers (just that I wouldn't want to be in one during a hurricane or tornado :-O ).

Again, it was not my intent to disrespect anyone. And I'm very glad to hear about the new AC in the Sorrento clubhouse! For me (who has been diagnosed with hyperhydrosis, means I sweat real easy) that is a considerable attitude-changer as to my desires to spend a hot Florida summer day in that room. If that's what the "serious" out of towers travelling from up north would prefer to do, then maybe we should give them more weight in this decision and that's what we should do?

Anyway...., whenever a final decision is made (not by me) as to where the 2011 Sunshine Mix will take place, I'll jump in line with whatever the collective ultimately agrees upon and do so with a smile on my face. And while it's pretty clear that I'm all for changing it up this year, I'm looking forward to hanging out with my boombox bretheren even more!

And on the bright side, Sorrento is an out-and-back day trip for me and would be cheaper than bringing my family to a beach hotel for a weekend. That will leave me with more money to buy gear from Ira's Sunshine Yard Sale! :lol:

I promise this is the last anyone is going to hear out of me on this topic.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
hey john :cool:

i took all you posts as VERY upbeat and positive - :yes:
and with nothing but your attempts to offer us sunshine attendees an EXTRA great choice
of the location--

i vote for either place --

fair = majority rules :breakdance:

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
No offense taken to anything you said John, and by the way we stayed in our trailer thru all the hurricanes that Florida has had since we have lived here since 96, through all of them we lost half a roof shingle !! Working for the county I have seen the devastation a hurricane can bring especially in Florida and surrounding states as my coworkers have traveled out of state to offer assistance, guess we have been lucky.

As Freddie and Ira and others have said we need to get serious as to what we are going to do this year, any out of state members who may be coming need more time to plan than we, who live here do.

We have always tried to inform out of state members to try and treat the meet like a regular vacation, one day with the brotherhood the rest with the family, we who live here all know there are many things to do around the Orlando area for families, Daytona is 45 minutes away from my location as is Disney, Universal Studios and Sea world slightly closer. If I were planning on coming to Florida for a one day event I would look into staying at least a week to enjoy some of the other things that are available. And Orlando is central to most things people visit Florida for anyway.

BOBBY, you are going to be down here that week, make the call, this is your site after all

ahardb0dy

Member (SA)
Well as much as I wanted to go up to NY to see my parents, who I haven't seen in a few years, it doesn't look like that is going to happen as Linda just told me yesterday that she doesn't think we will be able to afford that trip and than the cruise we are planning in October. The cruise is more important right now as this will be the first cruise Linda's handicapped sister will be going on, the "LOVE BOAT" as Karen calls it!! LOL

I know having the meet at my location is cheapest for me and before the original meet we had, everyone was discussing different options on where to have the meet, I stepped in as I thought we could use the club house and thought it would be ideal to suit are needs, I never intended this location to be used just because it was "easy" for me, it was just we needed a location and I came up with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.