Picked up a rummage Kenwood stereo from Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
blu_fuz said:
I really love the way these look. Wife hates them of course, too bad.

I don't have another way to test the Kenwood gear. Duckman, you had a similar Kenwood system?
Of course you would , they look very Boomboxish! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I had the exact same amp and pre. Didn't have it for long however, and haven't heard anything back from the young guy (my kids buddy) I sold it too . . . . . yet. :-P

Sound got warbly at higher volumes then just after running for a few moments @ any level, so suspected the outputs and low and behold it was them. If you can find a way to test separately, maybe a buds system or possibly your home system has Pre-out / Amp-in jumpers?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
joe you can also put a bigger dust cap right over the old one without removing anything . i think one that sits just inside the ribs at the center of the cone would look bad ass.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
^ I would rather do that and not risk tearing the cone. A 4.5" set would be perfect.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The closest 'gold' I know off hand is a Rolo candy wrapper. Maybe I could eat a roll of Rolos and glue the wrapper to some new dust caps.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
blu_fuz said:

The closest 'gold' I know off hand is a Rolo candy wrapper. Maybe I could eat a roll of Rolos and glue the wrapper to some new dust caps.
So true :lol: . . And if the Rolo wrappers are a little loose they may give you a whizzer cone effect! :-P

blu_fuz said:
That mid range speaker magnet is big gawd dang! And the space is sealed where that speaker is.

image.jpg
image.jpg
That is big for a mid, and for sure as big as the magnet on the woofers from the Kenwoods I saw.

Many speakers from reputable companies have sealed enclosures for the mids to keep out the Bass waves. Yamaha, Technics, Wharfedale, JBL all did this (and many more) with Philips and Wharfedale incorporating the diver itself in it's own 'cone of silence' !

Have you tried the mids by themselves to eliminate a crossover issue?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Plastic. I didnt test the mids alone. When you glex the cone you can feel and here the coil scratching in the magnet.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
hey joe if you want me to look at those speakers for you i will, might be able to refoam them and re align the coils if the bobbins are still good. if they are burnt then i guess its lights out .

Status
Not open for further replies.