Body Work: GF 8989z

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Outstanding and very detailed work done by a pro! wow!

You are awesome! Perfection work!

Great job Chris! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

People like you are an asset to this forum.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
ralrein1 said:
Wow,wow wowsers!!! Great job Chris,just like a friken pro.
BoomboxLover48 said:
Outstanding and very detailed work done by a pro! wow!

You are awesome! Perfection work!

Great job Chris! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

People like you are an asset to this forum.
Thank you guys. This one was an undertaking, but I always loved this model. I have grabbed it off the shelf many times since it's repair and returned it to service.

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
Holy **** man!

That is dedication especially for an 8989 which are common as hell here!!

I can do pretty much anything inside a stereo but despite 20 years in the car body repair industry I am nowhere near as patient as you, cleaning polishing & respraying grilles is as far as I go outside of a machine!!

Am speechless - & once again proud to be part of a community that loves these stereo's as much as I do :yes:

The results are stunning & a tuning dial plexi should turn up soon - ****, I would buy a scrapper just for the glass!!

Do like the 8989's had & sold 3 of them as they seem plentiful here in the UK :-)

jronyc

Member (SA)
Mar 10, 2018
NYC
Looks great! On my repairs I use this super glue called Pasco.
Forget about it. Hands down the best mending agent I've ever used! 30 bucks a bottle on Amazon. It's even stronger I find then two part epoxy. Dries in seconds. So fast that I've glued myself to the project and the work bench multiple times. I usually glue what I can or have back together, then fiberglass it, shape, then sand, Bondo then sand, prime, sand, then paint. This way I'm not trying to figure out how to mount any plates like the one you used in the corner. Not that it's bad but I did the same thing where I was mounting a filler plate with screws inset in the plastic to only have to hide them with filler. Using fiberglass as the filler eliminates the need of the plate. And it's Strong AF!

Either way looks really good and solid and that's what counts.

For those of you who purchase Pasco. BE CAREFUL!
Funny story...
I was fixing a trash compactor at a neighbor's house. He asked if I had anything to glue a tab that brook of his ice maker. I brought Pasco told him it's the strongest glue I've ever used but you need to be super careful. I went to go grab a tool from my place when I came back he had glued his fingers together and the ice maker tab piece to his hand. Haha had to cut them apart! Stuff is no joke! He said I thought I was being real careful... You know immediately if your not. I've learned applying it to a toothpick or coffee stirrer then applying it to wherever your gluing is the best route to go. 20200117_171941.jpg20200117_194825.jpg

JimmieJam

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2021
Wilmington NC
I love seeing the boxes restored , thanks for the info on the pasco glue. I have found an easy way to repair cracks and broken areas that dont required it to be strong like the handle area. Thermal beads can be melted in a cup of hot water and then formed to fill in cracks or missing spots.