Body Work: GF 8989z

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
This is going to be a repair that is "Good from a far, but far from good". From 2 feet back, it's going to look great, but there is no way the two ends will be the same. There is just too much detail in the design. But I don't think you will notice too much without inspecting it.

http://youtu.be/aX4UBk_N4b4

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Like I said Chris, you will remember all the hard work repairing this blaster every time you pick it up to use it..
I had to build a new handle and mounts for my JVC 550, and it gives me pride every time I grab that handle and lug that heavy box around..

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
Like I said Chris, you will remember all the hard work repairing this blaster every time you pick it up to use it..
I had to build a new handle and mounts for my JVC 550, and it gives me pride every time I grab that handle and lug that heavy box around..
I agree, it's going to be great to get it done and use it. I might go camping this weekend, if so, this will be going with me! Painted or not!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i'm just waiting for you to build the first metal cased 1 piece boombox , i love your use of overly strong materials , that kind of craftsmanship is a lost art these days .

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
i'm just waiting for you to build the first metal cased 1 piece boombox , i love your use of overly strong materials , that kind of craftsmanship is a lost art these days .
Thanks Floyd, I work with what I got and I got Aluminum! That's the same stuff I built your 918 battery door with!

I have thought of making a case out of it, but it would weight 10-15 lbs empty. Not sure that would be the way to go.

But one thing is for sure, this will handle the weight of the radio and will never be an issue down the line (unless I drop it)

NEXT: It looks like I will have to do some sanding as some dust got into the paint on the top :bang: :bang: :bang:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
So....I've been thinking
:weed: :weed: :weed:

I'm looking at this radio.....thinking about another thread "Trailer Queens"...remembering my own quote " I use them and they get F'd up! I have sold a few radio's because they were too nice for me".

Now I'm looking at the 20 hours I just pumped into this, knowing damn well it's gonna get F'd up!

The paint looks good, but under the taped sections, like around the cassette deck keys, there is the original paint where the "GF-8989" ID is and it's all scratched and gouged! I already got a finger print on the side under the tuning knob and there is some dust or something in the paint on the top, very little, but I see it. The A.D.D. in me says "Sand it down, make it perfect, then F it up while putting it back together" (like I always do!).

So now comes the question....

Sand it down or just put it together, put batteries in it and Rock Out?

I'll have too :newyear: :weed: :rock: about it :-D

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
You know....the more I :weed: about it....the more I think your :yes: :-D

Either way, nothing can be done till tomorrow. I have the case in the Boom Room where the heater is on (plus I'm huffin' paint!) :blink: :sick: :nonono: :dunce:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Man I just saw this post Chris and might I say you are doing an excellent job. I guarantee if you showed the after repairs without ever revealing the break no one would even see it was ever repaired. Can't wait for ending results bro :thumbsup:

Bad Boy Bill