Aiwa EXOS-9 Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Based on what I have, I would need to do a sound test. But from my speculations. The conion has super power and gets screaming loud. But the aiwa has a cleaner sound with productive bass. The M70 is another loud unit and distorts kinda soon. The aiwa disperses sound better through its 5 speaker system. The 777 is a cool sound. But the aiwa would kill it I think. Not sure about the not pictured 6400. But a side by side would be a better test. But in ending. Just buy 1. You'll be pleasantly surprised for what you get for the price.

Like Gordie I wonder how it does against the TDK 3 speaker. That was one of the best sounding new units I owned. The Altec Lansing was also a fantastic sounding unit.

Bad Boy Bill

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Between the 2. I take aiwa for its sound. Looks the TDK.

Cool so you have 3 speaker TDK? Awesome I had to cancel the aiwa I ordered cuz I didn't have funds but definitely want one to take place of the newer TDK because it's just not all it's cracked up to be.

Bad Boy Bill

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
The Aiwa has more power than any other 1-piece. But of course that doesn't mean it can take full advantage of all that power.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Who runs a boombox at max volume? You can't anyway unless the bass is turned all the way down, which makes it sound like crap.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Other customers don't report faults (I hope).
Some "testers" reporting they Aiwas sounds impressive, even when equalizer is in flat setup.

Lets see the things run.

Cheers.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Reli said:
Who runs a boombox at max volume? You can't anyway unless the bass is turned all the way down, which makes it sound like crap.
Actually many people run their Bluetooth speakers at max volume - most of these speakers have built in software that modifies the sound signature by taming the bass levels etc to avoid distortion. Many reviews say that some units actually need to be run at max to sound their best!

The Aiwa Exos-9 doesn't appear to have this fancy software thus allowing, at certain equaliser and volume settings, the exos-9 to fall into high levels of distortion - we as vintage boombox collectors accept distortion as the norm so know not to push the volume past 2/3rds on our vintage boxes.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Mine as a trade between 5350 from William arrives last week...

Clean unit, real "soft" and DEFINTELY dosen't "sound like a boombox".

They don't come with chrome rings (like pics on web shows) but it's just time to me to change that...

I pull out the front grill, remove the rings and do some chrome spray paint... ...looks waayy better now.

FB_IMG_1448237450057.jpg
FB_IMG_1448237563623.jpg

A little video on Aiwa playing some 808 notches without front grill.

http://youtu.be/SaHJ50e1gxU

Definitely a MUST have for any "portable" audio collector, period.

Cheers.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yep, definitely looks better with the chrome rings. Would look even better with graffiti between the speakers. Or maybe a carbon-fiber texture. The existing surface is boring.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Reli said:
Yep, definitely looks better with the chrome rings. Would look even better with graffiti between the speakers. Or maybe a carbon-fiber texture. The existing surface is boring.
I think on paint that area with metalic blue, try to approach with CS 880 on looks.

Cheers.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Reli said:
I agree. Large areas of black, shiny plastic look cheap & tasteless, portray an absence of character therefore (almost) totally uninteresting and have the appearance of mass production on a budget. For the savvy, there could be a great opportunity here for adhesive vinyl decals or covers.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
hardmen said:
I think on paint that area with metalic blue, try to apprpach with CS 880 on looks.

Cheers.
That would look cool. Can the chrome rings be removed before you paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.