What Are Your Boombox Goals for 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool69

Staff member
May 5, 2009
'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie
OK all of my fellow Boomboxery Brothers! What is the goal for 2014? Still chasing that personal grail? Have an eye on a particular boombox that sends shivers up your leg? What is your resolution? Finish a project? Shrink your collection? Grow your collection? Sunshine/West Coast/Euro Mixes?

Let's hear what the big plans are for 2014!

For me it's to get a hold of a Marantz PH-32/32W, Grundig Party Center 2000, Technics SA-C05/09, Hitachi TRK-9900 or better yet, the elusive Hitachi J6! I will be selling (trade?) a few as well...whenever I can make up my feeble mind! :lol:

I also have a secret project putting together something wrecked by the post office yet familiar to all...stay tuned! ;-)

And doing all I can to make the west coast of Florida happen...wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Lofty goals? Don't know but I sure will be tryin'! :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
oldskool69 said:
OK all of my fellow Boomboxery Brothers! What is the goal for 2014? Still chasing that personal grail? Have an eye on a particular boombox that sends shivers up your leg? What is your resolution? Finish a project? Shrink your collection? Grow your collection? Sunshine/West Coast/Euro Mixes?

Let's hear what the big plans are for 2014!

For me it's to get a hold of a Marantz PH-32/32W, Grundig Party Center 2000, Technics SA-C05/09, Hitachi TRK-9900 or better yet, the elusive Hitachi J6! I will be selling (trade?) a few as well...whenever I can make up my feeble mind! :lol:

I also have a secret project putting together something wrecked by the post office yet familiar to all...stay tuned! ;-)

And doing all I can to make the west coast of Florida happen...wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Lofty goals? Don't know but I sure will be tryin'! :-D
Wish you Good Luck Freddie! :-)
May your wishes come true! :-)

I need to find more time on my hobbies and more room for it! :-D

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Great thread topic.

I have some goals for this year. Like JVCFloyd has mentioned before, I want to get everything I have in top working condition. This means going through, checking connections and rebelting decks and cleaning.

I want to sell some of the lower end radios I have and make some room some some personal grails.

Right now I have hours and hours worth of repair work to do.

I don't have a huge personal grial list, but I do want to save up for a few that I know will cost me.

Even thought I don't have the money right now on the list are:

2nd gen Lasonic TRC 931
A shelf queen Lasonic TRC 920
Lasonic TRC 922 with grill tweeters

There is a Helix that is an aka of my GPX 990 and Trident 6000 that I have.

Of course I'll be working the swap meets, garage sales, thrift stores and estatse sale circuit

Most of all, I look forward to living vicariously through all the great members on this site. When you all share your stories I feel like I'm right there enjoying in the excitement of your new acquisition. Please keep the stories coming.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
My goal is to trim my collection down to only a handfull of boomers. I plan on keeping my m90, trc-975, clairtone 20/20, scr-8, and maybe 2 of my 8989s. Everything else has to go.....then I need to get one fully working c100. From there I can find the few boomers I want from my shortlist. I only plan on having about 10 boomers by the time im done. Just the big boys.

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
waiting on a National beast with 8" cans & military grade looks(arrive late Feb)
fully bangin' C-100 JAPAN ver. if the price is right
maybe a SONY or 2 for fun
Would love to get a killer SILVER multiband stereo cassette. The one with the giant dial scale & the lighted display, etc.

Cheers,
Cpl

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
-GZ- said:
My goal is to trim my collection down to only a handfull of boomers. I plan on keeping my m90, trc-975, clairtone 20/20, scr-8, and maybe 2 of my 8989s. Everything else has to go.....then I need to get one fully working c100. From there I can find the few boomers I want from my shortlist. I only plan on having about 10 boomers by the time im done. Just the big boys.
:agree: Been trying to get my collection down to a "Boomer's Dozen" for a while now, just my faves! I have all the boxes I want..
Oh, and finish my custom 931.. :cool:

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
This is the year I'd like to get my hands on at least one of the larger boxes. Perhaps the JVC M70 or a Panasonic RX-5350 (even though I'm not a huge fan of the design on that one). Who knows what '14 has in store?

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I still want a Sanyo M9994 to keep the 9990 company. I just hope it doesn't make the 9990 look bad. I do love that little box. :-)
Other than that, I'll pick up anything that looks like a good deal when I get a hankerin'.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
JustCruisin said:
:agree: Been trying to get my collection down to a "Boomer's Dozen" for a while now, just my faves! I have all the boxes I want..
Hey, I could help you reduce the collection! ;-) ;-)

Goals for 2014:
Conion C-100
Panny 5350 (ya dreaming one will appear fo sale)

Rebelt & Repair a couple of issue boxes.
Get out and take some nice scene shots with them!!

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
I plan to collect mostly the unloved boxes, often seen as "uncool" that are overlooked by the majority of box hunters. Some of these, especially here in the UK, are AKAs of boxes with a deserved international following, so a Unisef equivalent of the much-loved Lasonic 931 would be good to try, I have learned (thanks to this forum) that the Unisef, GEC and other UK and Euro 931 lookalikes lack the quality of the real I am, but if I buy such a thing and it sounds horrific then I'll do something about that!
Thorn Consumer Electronics figure in this plan too, as their range includes a couple of re-badged JVCs that are known as good, solid bits of equipment. Mostly, Thorn sold these boxes under their Ferguson brand name but they also owned the Marconi and Ultra brands and it's these two that interest me most since they're possibly among the rarest UK-sourced boxes ever. Nothing exceptionally out of the ordinary in terms of their audio quality, though they perhaps unsurprisingly sound a lot like their JVC siblings, but rare simply because these brands were so uncommon in retail versions of the sets in question.

In general, I aim to buy only boxes that don't come in working condition. Stuff that more sensible people might chop for spares.
However a real Lasonic and one of the eccentrically styled Soviet Union boxes we sometimes see on the forum are a couple of things I'd like to find in perfect - or close to it - condition.
I'd also like to develop my subtly modified Sharp GF-555 further. I know that I'm in a minority here by being so fond of "Big Pat" as the 555 is known, but when that old thing is given its head and the volume and bass are close to the endstops of their sliders it really comes alive and makes sense of Rammstein and other good, pounding classic rock material. It's currently on a set of Sony car speakers but I'd really like to go for something by Bose or maybe Celestion in their place, along with a mod to make the output a bit more linear so that the box works equally well when the volume isn't high enough to annoy the whole village. :yes:

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
I actually don't have any targets in way of additions.
But like others have mentioned, I am deffo going to to be moving on a lot of boxes. If it does not fit on my display shelfs then its got to go, and that probably means at least 20 boxes.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JustCruisin said:
Ha. Good luck with that broham. That custom 931 better be finished in '14!!! Hell I might even make a pilgrimage down there just to see it when its done. That thing is gonna be ill!

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
My plans for 2014 is to finish up on some of the repair and restoration work I have been wanting to accomplish.
And over all just enjoy each and every one of my boxes as much as possible. I would like to get some quality rechargables because I also plan on being more active and out and about with them.
A sunshine mix get together would be an excellent way to kick off the New year as well. It has been a long while since
I have hung out with any of my brothers of Boomboxery. So hopefully time permitting I can knock most of this stuff out this year. As we all know the older you get the harder it is to find time to do the things you really like to do.
Well, anyhow, Happy New Year to you all and may all of your hopes and dreams for the New Year be fulfilled.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
im_alan_partridge said:
I actually don't have any targets in way of additions.
But like others have mentioned, I am deffo going to to be moving on a lot of boxes. If it does not fit on my display shelfs then its got to go, and that probably means at least 20 boxes.
Well this was a load of total hogwash as ive just made my first purchase of year already :lol:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
im_alan_partridge said:
Well this was a load of total hogwash as ive just made my first purchase of year already :lol:
very funny -- and nice going
-----------

my plans are to ' thin out '
= sell 3 for every 2 i buy
but - i say that every year --havn't even come close :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.