The Saga Continues (blu_fuz 5350)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Because in that era, double sided copper boards were not common. However, due to the increasing circuitry complexity and required real estate to house all the circuitry, it was necessary to design a board that way for space reasons. Otherwise, the boards would be 50% or more larger and resemble the Aiwa and Sanyo boards with a charlottes web of wired jumpers all over the place. Backseat driving the engineering of a product 35-40 years after it has long passed it's useful design life is easy to do now. And sure enough, a bulletproof board could be designed today using double (or more) copper sides for far less money. But back then, they didn't exist in mass manufacturing. That was the technology then, and technology has improved today. In fact, with the advent of SMD, components don't even need to have holes drilled onto the boards anymore and each side can truly be designed independantly without having to worry about a hole/pad to mount a component from the opposite side. To see how far along we've come, one only needs to look at the modular design of the JVC kabooms. Every board is designed with almost no jumpers and to me, a piece of art. Even the front panel boards are connected to the inside boards via only a mechanical connection that takes place when the front and back halves are mated together. No wires and connectors at all. Anyhow, 1-year warranty, lasted 30 years already.... what's the problem? :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ok, this took longer than expected. Some repairs needed to be performed under the tuning wagon wheel and there simply wasn't enough room, and as one little slip of the soldering iron could deform the nylon wheel or worse, sever the tuner string, so it has to be moved out of the way for some of the repairs.

I've done this many times so, I feel comfortable with this process. First use duct tape to secure the string and path, and along the edges of the wheel to prevent unraveling. Then remove and hold your breath....

RX-5350_b27.jpg

RX-5350_b28.jpg

With everything taped up, time to remove wheel and flip it out of the way to expose board beneath:

RX-5350_b30.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
Finally, some working room:

RX-5350_b32.jpg

One of the resistors need a 220 value. I didn't have that one and where I live now, there is no such a thing as resistors to purchase locally (resistors? what's that?). Mail order would mean lots of waiting. So I need to make my own by using two 470's and parallel them making up a 235 value. Since we are bypassing the orig top trace which has some built in resistance anyhow, this will work fine.

RX-5350_b33.jpg

Ok, installed it, and another one too. Can't stop to photograph every step anymore, taking too much time.

RX-5350_b34.jpg

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ok, I don't want to drag this out anymore since I've had enough of this thing. Fortunately, I'm relieved to say that it's all working now. Yes, AM works and Yes both SW bands now work as well. I was even able to receive a few SW stations with no antenna and with 1/2 the house below ground level so this tuner is a pretty good one.

=========================================

To Recap, here are the repairs needed to get tuner working again.

MainBoard to repair MPX circuit:

RX-5350_b38.jpg

Tuner board repairs:

RX-5350_b41.jpg
RX-5350_b42.jpg
RX-5350_b43.jpg
RX-5350_b40.jpg

I'm anxious to get this thing outta here now so as far as I'm concerned this guy is ALL FIXED. Joe, if you could append your previous thread with a link to this one please so anyone stumbling upon the other thread could find the remainder. Very happy to get this off the family room floor and recover the room, and finally shut things down.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Wow!! Joe's a very lucky guy! I can only imagine how difficult it would be to even find a tech that'd be interested in a such a project! The bill would be huge when the local techs charge $120 for a belts change!

Nice work.

James.... :-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Holy cripes, what a mess for getting the FM going and now even the AM and SWs.

Great job and nice tip taking the tuner wheel out!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
blu_fuz said:
Holy cripes, what a mess for getting the FM going and now even the AM and SWs.
Great job and nice tip taking the tuner wheel out!
Surely there must be some work to do on this thing. How about you rebuild the tape deck?! :-)
Maybe rebuild the transformer and polish the inside of the antenna! :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Wow!! Joe's a very lucky guy! I can only imagine how difficult it would be to even find a tech that'd be interested in a such a project! The bill would be huge when the local techs charge $120 for a belts change!

Nice work.

James.... :-)
James because I injected myself into this whole adventure a couple years ago, when Joe first posted about this 5350, and attempted to restore it, I felt obligated to see it through. Otherwise, I would not have accepted it for repair (unless it was my own) simply because I already knew it would be very time consuming due to what I already suspected was a multi-fault type of problem. However, I only hope that the guys here have learned something from this shared repair since I won't likely be accepting any more jobs. I've spent almost all my time the past 5 years working on other people's boxes, and I literally have hundreds of boxes of my own, that has received no love. Also, if you see that I frequently ignore threads where a newbie asks something along the lines of "my boombox does this.... what is wrong with it?", you will understand after seeing both of Joe's thread regarding this 5350 why I have no answer. And if I did not do this on my own, and had to walk someone through this from 2000 miles away through a keyboard, can you imagine how long it would take? Or, actually, just re-read Joe's previous thread about the hum issue and see how long it took for whatever progress there was. Compare the work on that thread to what has taken place and we could still be working on this a decade from now.

A few years ago, a few other members asked me for step by step assistance via PM and after awhile, my patience wore thin and I probably came across as.... well not very friendly, although it really was me showing frustration owing that I could not trust the measurements I was given and the misunderstandings of my instructions requiring redo's did not help. It's not that I don't like to help, rather it's because the reality is that not everyone can repair everything.

THAT being said, let me also say that this repair only required a good Digital MultiMeter. No oscilloscope or audio or RF signal generators, or signal tracers were required. So in effect, anyone here could have performed the same repair. You just need to be persistent, get the basics down so you don't make mistakes during measuring, get a little help with circuit analysis (regarding significance of any voltage disparities), and a good soldering iron and techniques.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I do feel like I could have handled some of the FM repair, and surely could have finished that stupid hum issue if I only would have found that bad printed resistor.

I am amazed that what seems so simple when you post results that it is almost impossible for my brain to process when I have the boombox spread out in front of me.

Fantastic job.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Norm, your Webinars are some of the very best. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and explain it all.

And I did learn allot. I learned that Joe better listen to allot of AM/SW to make this all worth it :lol:

AND...straight on eBay :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink:

JOKING!

DIBS!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yeah I surely can do without the AM/SW but he was so deep into this box and committed so much time and energy it only made sense to go all the way so he could share the info with everyone and have this info for people to follow and do repairs on their own.

This will not end up in the 'for sale' pile but it but the 'value' of it needed to be preserved as much as it could because you don't find these pannys everywhere. For all we know this box could be the most problematic one I will own with more resistors failing and corrosion setting in worse over time. This will be in my collection as long as I can handle it. Lol.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Superduper said:
Joe did mention that he didn't really care about AM & SW, but someday he might sell it, and there will definitely be a difference in value of an "all working" vs partially working boombox, especially when it comes to tuners since that is an area most DIY'ers shy away from.
Yep, I may have me another look at my TRC-951, no FM. See if I can work my way through it.

And your right, any self respecting seller is going to list what works and what doesn't and just mentioning something (even a part of a radio that most won't be using anyways) doesn't work will cut the value 33%

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
For sure. Atleast I can enjoy this box and still be on the hunt for a working parts box to keep the boards as spares until these repairs internally combust.

I am very excited for this to come home and again forever grateful for Norm taking the time to make it happen.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
For sure. Atleast I can enjoy this box and still be on the hunt for a working parts box to keep the boards as spares until these repairs internally combust.

I am very excited for this to come home and again forever grateful for Norm taking the time to make it happen.
Did this radio ever work Joe?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Did this radio ever work Joe?
No, the entire radio never worked. From day one it was buzzing. The buzzing was so bas that I never noticed the radio bands really weren't working either. I bought it knowing that something was wrong, but had no idea it was going to be this crazy. It was off ebay.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
No, the entire radio never worked. From day one it was buzzing. The buzzing was so bas that I never noticed the radio bands really weren't working either. I bought it knowing that something was wrong, but had no idea it was going to be this crazy. It was off ebay.

Ok wow, this is a BIG addition to the collection in working form. Looking forward to seeing the end product

Status
Not open for further replies.