Reflections of shipping experiences.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
SLO said:
Yep me too :-) I don't even care if I over do it, Lol, as long as it arrives, ALIVE
Ditto. I pack things to make it, then add another layer/crush zone in a bigger box. :yes: Too many years in and around the industry to chance it! Conveyor belts and such cannot read FRAGILEE !

Cube volume has to come into play at a point, but not at the sacrifice of a piece of history. Ya can't just run down to Wally Mart and get another, Anyone not willing to pay and extra few bucks to ensure safe arrival, well . . . .

I always give the buyer finished dimensions and weight before billing so they can check the websites for rates. Ebay allows for S/H charges, but too many out there whine if it is $1 above what they can find online.

I have charged handling in some cases but that is predicated on how much I am making on each item and/or material costs. Generally I eat it.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JustCruisin said:
Watching Ace Ventura on VHS tonight and reminded of this scene.. :lol: :sad:
http://youtu.be/2Q6_9A90cUk
And your $1,000 eBay purchased Holy Grail, packed by a 90 year old grandmother of 8, with no prior Blaster shipping experience HAS ARRIVED!

THANKS HDS!

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
I package my boxes assuming the Friendly Folks at Fedex Football Frequently & Fervently with their Freight. F*ckers..

wakehappy

Member (SA)
Mar 12, 2016
Seattle
Great post, wish all sellers would read this before dropping a 35 year old relic off at the post office. The last box I ordered off eBay, a Clairtone 7980, was completely destroyed when it arrived. Thankfully it was a parts box, but that still doesn't make it right. The seller refunded me some money, but I still didn't end up with the parts I needed to get my C100F in minty condition. I even sent him a nice message detailing how large boxes often break through the package, and to make sure he used lots of large bubble-wrap or foam. This is what I got... he actually didn't even put it in a box! He wrapped it in bubble wrap, covered it with butcher paper, and taped it all together with the handle - yes the HANDLE - sticking out of the package. SERIOUSLY! :bang:

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
I once received a boombox like this. It was so large that the carrier dragged it out of the back of the truck since you couldn't wrap your hands around it. Of course the boombox was sitting on the bottom of the tub and there was some bubble wrap around the top and sides but that doesn't help the bottom. Also, the tub is like contact paper thin, so it was squishy. And one corner was crushed. Boombox didn't do too good but I forget what it was anymore. In any event, another example of how not to ship a boombox, even if it looks like a good idea at first.

shipping_tub.jpg

stragulus

Member (SA)
Sep 4, 2014
New York
Bump! So I received this little boomer in the most ridiculous packaging ever. The seller had the box sent back due to shipping damage, I bought it after that. He must have thought...this is not going to happen to me again! Also, f*ck the buyer for having the nerve telling me how I should ship this thing!

After 10 minutes of cutting with an x-acto knife:

20180112_210628.jpg

Nearly half an hour in. WTF.

20180112_211704.jpg

OMG some of the self-inflating foam didn't even set, there was so much of it in there!

20180112_213010_001.jpg

Still doesn't budge. We have to go deeper!

20180112_212926.jpg

Freddy Kruger ain't got nothing on me cutting shiat up

20180112_213430.jpg

Finally, there she is. Total time from start.. an hour??

20180112_220213.jpg

Beast From The East

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2017
Athens Greece
devol-toni said:
:w00t:
This is the first of God's ten commandments.
Thanks Norm. :yes: :thumbsup:

Now, every buyer should send this link to the seller to see how it must to pack the goods for shipping. Otherwise, the purchase can be canceled. :yes:
Truth said will do next time.I've had it with the eco-friendliness of some sellers .If the box turns to junk eco friendly my @@ Bubble wrap it or die! Plus use styrofoam pannels not little styrofoam chunks you idiots out there!
Another magic word "Corner protectors" idiots
And i am happy to pay the extra cost if you feel cheap!
My rudeness is based on making people more responsible,however i do not see that becoming a rule when dealing with Ghettoblasters
Peace and out!

RocklandSally

Member (SA)
Jun 23, 2019
Going to copy this to a potential seller who is Leary / afraid to ship from outside Toronto to Ottawa! Cheers

Atari

Member (SA)
May 1, 2019
Your average ebay seller who does not deal in heavy electronics on a regular basis thinks that a couple layers of bubble wrap does the trick...nope

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
There should be a prize for the worst packed box....
This has got to be a contender JVC 770LB
IMG_20200430_170108.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yes , that's worse than the m90 I got that was wrapped in cardboard but by some miracle survived the trip and the lady at the post office slammed it down on the counter after carting it out of the back in a grocery type cart.