Mystery CL Discolite Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
im_alan_partridge said:
Woah, rock the f'ning casbah. Well done on a taking a punt on an unseen box and a 2 hour drive.

I know you wanted one of these for a while so good for you mate :yes:
There are some radio's I have put in the back of my mind that I will most likely never have because frankly, I'm just not going to be coughing up $1000-$2000. We all regularly see some models hit those prices and the Disco is one of them. That's why the meet's are so important. It gives a guy like me a chance to see radio's I may never otherwise have the opportunity too.

JustCruisin said:
Chris, I believe you just started a new trend... #boomselfie!
There you go... :lol: BOOMSELFIE :lol:

redbenjoe said:
DIBS :drool: :drool: :rock: :-D
-------------------------------------------

for the equalizer slider covers --go to ACE --see the box called ' thread protectors ' -
get the red or orange ones - they fit //look perfect
OH DUDE! You Are The Man! Going there today and will report back! :rock:

blu_fuz said:
Holy shiat it was for real?!?!?!?!?!?!
This is amazing!
Almost as good as my $50 M90 score :lol:
I was thinking of you through this whole endeavour :yes:

k2j said:
Thats killer Chris! :w00t:

Everyone should be as lucky at least once to have a CL deal like this. There is nothing like the stress build up and the epic release once its in your possession. Good job dude!! :rock: :rock:
I agree, I hope every collector on this site has the opportunity to go through this, but it is stressful.

Thanks again guys. Hauling ass home yesterday to post this up was as or more exciting than getting the box it's sell!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
The stress of the unknown is enough to drive you NUTS when you are already committed and on the road to snag a deal like that.

The feeling is probably what a drug addict goes through.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
The stress of the unknown is enough to drive you NUTS when you are already committed and on the road to snag a deal like that.

The feeling is probably what a drug addict goes through.
I agree. It's exciting and stressful all at the same time.

After years of posting and reading on this site, all the stories of members doing this very thing and wondering "Will I ever be that lucky", it finally happened to me. Obviously, with the help of the forum and member Milosancho's post, was I able to do this. But when I read these stories, it's as frustrating as it is motivational. There have to be 1,000's of radio's still in closets, basements and attic's all over the world just waiting to be found.

Last night after getting home, I went to go buy some beer, I had the EXACT CHANGE in my wallet and the guy behind the counter said "See, you were meant to have it, it was meant to be". :yes:

Maybe it was the same for this Disco :hmmm: :-D

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
because of this incredible and happy and gutsy story -
and since it works // sounds good enough -

i hope you keep and love it forever -
whether you ever get it factory perfect or 1/2 perfect or even as it is right now

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
HOLY GUACAMOLE! :clap: I have Your missing Discolite battery cover too! You're SO lucky. I bought this Discolite battery cover in hopes of needing one if I ever were lucky to find one (that usually is lacking one). Your Karma just got sweeter! I'm mailing it out today, along with Your other gift I promised I'd mail You. Does that allow Me to leapfrog Ira's Dibs? Just kidding. I'm glad YOU got one. :rock:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
It was your time brotha! My cheap boomboxes are the ones I want to keep and most of the time do end up keeping. It makes me proud to know I have such little invested and have a great collection to show for all my hard work searching/waiting for them.

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
Wow! Glad this didn't turn out to be a scam....was kinda worried there when FD posted scam alert.

I agree, everyone deserved a good CL deal like this. I know I've had my share of good deals.....so why not spread the joy.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
blu_fuz said:
It was your time brotha! My cheap boomboxes are the ones I want to keep and most of the time do end up keeping. It makes me proud to know I have such little invested and have a great collection to show for all my hard work searching/waiting for them.
So true. These are the ones with cool history's and leave a sentimental value.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
:thumbsup:

I'm so glad you got it Chris...this is a HUGE part of collecting boxes...taking the time and making an effort to go pick up a box and save it from getting destroyed in shipping...ESPECIALLY large cheap plastic boxes like the discolite's :lol:

You make me want to go do another long trip now for a box :-P

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
So happy for you Chris!! :) That's a great story! I hope someday I can get a Discolite.

Good luck with the restoration, very cool of Adam to have that battery cover, he's a great guy! :) :)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
redbenjoe said:
because of this incredible and happy and gutsy story -
and since it works // sounds good enough -

i hope you keep and love it forever -
whether you ever get it factory perfect or 1/2 perfect or even as it is right now
I really don't see me parting with this radio unless someone offered a Wheely or an M90 (hint hint :lol: )

I am going to do the best I can at restoring it, it really doesn't need much.

I went and got the screw tip protectors. I will post pic's when I have it together.

fresh produce said:
You know I was going to go for it but then I saw you wanted so I didn't answer back to the seller
I KNEW IT! You gotta be fast if you want to get a radio in Ventura!

blu_fuz said:
In the back of my mind, I know I can buy grails all day long off eBay (if I had the money to spend). But my boombox passion has taken me down another path. I don't want to starve and there are other things in life I want to do, so this is the path I have taken.

BUT, with that said....being a member of Boomboxery, taking the time to learn about the wonderful machines, befriend those in the know has made it POSSIBLE to build a semi respectable collection!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
THAFUZZ said:
HOLY GUACAMOLE! :clap: I have Your missing Discolite battery cover too! You're SO lucky. I bought this Discolite battery cover in hopes of needing one if I ever were lucky to find one (that usually is lacking one). Your Karma just got sweeter! I'm mailing it out today, along with Your other gift I promised I'd mail You. Does that allow Me to leapfrog Ira's Dibs? Just kidding. I'm glad YOU got one. :rock:
THAFUZZ said:
On My way to the Post Office now. ;-)
Batt cover.jpg
Battery cover.jpg
Adam, you are THE FUZZ & THE MAN! :cool:

What are the friggen chances? I mean REALLY???? Dude!!!!!
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
milosancho said:
Wow! Glad this didn't turn out to be a scam....was kinda worried there when FD posted scam alert.

I agree, everyone deserved a good CL deal like this. I know I've had my share of good deals.....so why not spread the joy.
THANK YOU again for posting the ad. This is such a perfect example of the Boomboxery Vibe! Man, I got some work to do to pay it forward! ;-)

k2j said:
So true. These are the ones with cool history's and leave a sentimental value.
Yeah man, I agree....When I look through my collection, I know where they all came from and what I had to go through to get them and the ones that seem to mean the most are the ones I had to work the hardest to get!

gsbadbmr said:
:thumbsup:

I'm so glad you got it Chris...this is a HUGE part of collecting boxes...taking the time and making an effort to go pick up a box and save it from getting destroyed in shipping...ESPECIALLY large cheap plastic boxes like the discolite's :lol:

You make me want to go do another long trip now for a box :-P
Gordie, you were one of the first people I ever met when I started this crazy odyssey and you have always said the same thing "Get out there and find them". You're living proof this plan is successful. Crazy? YES! But successful none the less :lol:

Ghettoboom767 said:
So happy for you Chris!! :) That's a great story! I hope someday I can get a Discolite.

Good luck with the restoration, very cool of Adam to have that battery cover, he's a great gut! :) :)
Thank you Bro, It's just wild to me man! Crazy how this has all come together.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Northerner said:
Nice one Adam!...you're the man! :-) :-)
NAILED IT! :yes:

Vintage Man said:
You scored no the less bro. One of these is on eBay right now with a starting bid of 500.00 bucks with no doors. Enjoy.
I know I saw that....WILD!

Well, Adam and I have completed the deal for the cover. I went and got the EQ parts at the hardware store per Ira's suggestion and I also bought a boombox handle off ePay that I think is off of a 931 with metal end's. The handle on these is down right scary especially with batteries.

Yeah Adam, I think that cover is going to work better than what I got going right now! :lol:

20140820_125823.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
damn adam that's thinking ahead starting out with only the battery cover now that's starting from scratch lol
usually i don't have much more than that to start with.

i bought my fh7 off craigslist from the original owner for 25 bucks and the dude was some old asian guy and he even showed me how it worked .

amazing how it worked out , one dude with a battery cover and another dude with the box , sorta like how reeses peanut butter cups got invented.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
JVC Floyd said:
damn adam that's thinking ahead starting out with only the battery cover now that's starting from scratch lol
usually i don't have much more than that to start with.

i bought my fh7 off craigslist from the original owner for 25 bucks and the dude was some old asian guy and he even showed me how it worked .

amazing how it worked out , one dude with a battery cover and another dude with the box , sorta like how reeses peanut butter cups got invented.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://youtu.be/DJLDF6qZUX0

Status
Not open for further replies.