BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
superlew said:
Awesome work Royce! You've got yourself a real beauty now. :yes:

BRA-VO!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :stereo:
I really appreciate your help superlew! Love you brother! :smooch: :smooch: :breakdance: :breakdance:

One switch cover for any of the function or stereo mono or normal/metal/CrO2 selection and new antennas will make it mint.

It looks like new and the inside also smells like new. :-) :yes:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
Awesome job Royce. Sounds great :thumbsup:
Thank you Bill! I kept the volume low. I didn't want to wake up my family in the night when I was taking the video.

M80 is different, it is unique and a beautiful box to have with lots of good features. :dj-party: The more I use it I love it! Mine is in fantastic condition! I need one switch cover and antennas.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
If they only went with round metal grills I would invest in one. Not to fond of grills on them :-(. I'm sure it's a well built unit though. Enjoy it Royce ;-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
caution said:
I never saw this thread until now - I just might have to finally fix the deck on my minty M80 :-) Thanks Royce!
That would be nice Eric!

I hope I gave enough info here...

Let me know if you need more.

~Royce

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Someone on ebay is selling an M80 belt kit but listed a different size belt than you, so I checked the PRB cross reference.

One of your belt sizes is an inch too short.

[SIZE=medium]"9.7 Inch main belt-4mm wide[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.1 Inch-1.5mm square[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.6 Inch-1,5mm square"[/SIZE]

The 4.1" belt should be 5.1".

FBM9.6 (PRB: FRM9.7)
SBS4.6 (PRB: SCX4.6)
SBS5.1 (PRB: SCX5.1)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
caution said:
Someone on ebay is selling an M80 belt kit but listed a different size belt than you, so I checked the PRB cross reference.

One of your belt sizes is an inch too short.

[SIZE=medium]"9.7 Inch main belt-4mm wide[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.1 Inch-1.5mm square[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.6 Inch-1,5mm square"[/SIZE]

The 4.1" belt should be 5.1".

That is correct!

I would have a 4.1" also. I remember running into some problem with belt measurements.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Put the new belts in last night. I noticed that the original 4.6" belt is actually orbicular, and the grooves were correct for it. It was in good shape so I left it in.

Some tapes behave just fine, but others barely rewind, and the play heads come right back down. I have this same issue on my C100F, could this be a bad idler? How can some tapes work fine and some barely/not at all?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
caution said:
Put the new belts in last night. I noticed that the original 4.6" belt is actually orbicular, and the grooves were correct for it. It was in good shape so I left it in.

Some tapes behave just fine, but others barely rewind, and the play heads come right back down. I have this same issue on my C100F, could this be a bad idler? How can some tapes work fine and some barely/not at all?
Eric, I was going nuts..
There is an inner idler wheel that cause all kinds of problems.
We have to replace that rubber.

caution said:

The inner idler wheel is the root cause............

Our buddy superlew (Aram) came to the pic and educated me on it...if not because of him...I would have never fixed the deck.

See that trouble maker.....
Thanks to Aram... (superlew)

Aram....is the deck expert here on Boomboxery! He is Awesome!

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Rats! I wonder if belt dressing or something along those lines could coat the rubber to restore it to a good surface. To rebuild it, and take the deck all the way apart to replace it has a pretty low return on investment, i.e. just can't play some tapes on that deck.

chhchca

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
I love to see the great details of your work we can share here in this post!

My M80 is electronically OK but needs a TLC as well as belt replacement. Opened it twice but could not figure out which screws to remove to access the cassette deck.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
chhchca said:
I love to see the great details of your work we can share here in this post!

My M80 is electronically OK but needs a TLC as well as belt replacement. Opened it twice but could not figure out which screws to remove to access the cassette deck.
Hi chhchca,

I hope this pic will help you. That aluminum colored screws are the ones you have to remove. I left two of on diagonally opposite corners there to just check the deck and left the other two. You can see the black plastic posts on chassis where they go in. Those 4 screws hold the deck assembly. That is what I remember.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.