Fixing my D8443

playab0yyy

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2022
Tampa, FL
The noise is from size of new gear being smaller than original and also the auto stop mechanism doesn’t work because of slipping gear from the smaller size
Do you happen to know of or have a link to good replacement gears and belts for the 8443? I'm in the US, in case you know of anything in this area.

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
I ended up ordering the polyurethane ones from Poland and they have no slipping issues or noise what so ever. Them being in Poland wasn’t really an issue even though Im from California. I ordered these ones and the shipping was only 4 dollars https://www.ebay.com/itm/164548045359

The belts can be ordered from http://kenselectronics.com/ over email/phone. The main belt is square with a length of 9.5 and a wall height of 0.046 and the counter belt is square with a length of 7.2 and a wall height of 0.039. Be patient with the man that handles orders at kenselectronics, he’s a bit old but provides an invaluable service.

I’m happy to announce that the boombox is completely fixed and working great. I listen to it pretty much all day at my new summer job and it somehow sounds way better than the Panasonic 5-cd stereo in the other room. I make drawer inserts if anyone’s wondering.

Reactions: baddboybill

playab0yyy

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2022
Tampa, FL
I ended up ordering the polyurethane ones from Poland and they have no slipping issues or noise what so ever. Them being in Poland wasn’t really an issue even though Im from California. I ordered these ones and the shipping was only 4 dollars https://www.ebay.com/itm/164548045359

The belts can be ordered from http://kenselectronics.com/ over email/phone. The main belt is square with a length of 9.5 and a wall height of 0.046 and the counter belt is square with a length of 7.2 and a wall height of 0.039. Be patient with the man that handles orders at kenselectronics, he’s a bit old but provides an invaluable service.

I’m happy to announce that the boombox is completely fixed and working great. I listen to it pretty much all day at my new summer job and it somehow sounds way better than the Panasonic 5-cd stereo in the other room. I make drawer inserts if anyone’s wondering.
Awesome! Thank you! If I want to take apart my 8443 just to clean the speakers and paint the grill, is it very complicated, or maybe just a few screws to separate the box and the grill will come right out? Also, what kind of black paint did you use?

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
Awesome! Thank you! If I want to take apart my 8443 just to clean the speakers and paint the grill, is it very complicated, or maybe just a few screws to separate the box and the grill will come right out? Also, what kind of black paint did you use?
That grill is a pain to remove plus you pretty much need to take the insides out to gain access to the speakers. Everything is hard wired so be careful when taking the guts out.

Reactions: playab0yyy

playab0yyy

Member (SA)
Jun 3, 2022
Tampa, FL
That grill is a pain to remove plus you pretty much need to take the insides out to gain access to the speakers. Everything is hard wired so be careful when taking the guts out.
That sucks. I’ll probably give it a go, though. Just ordered the gears and belts will be next. Figure I’ll clean the speakers and paint the grill while I’m at it. Thank you!

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
I just used a normal matte black spray paint. The grille was particularly difficult to get out. I used various picks and screwdrivers to straighten out all the tabs inside the box and then used a right angle pick to hook the grille from the outside. At least one of the tabs is obstructed by the radio circuit board and at least two are behind the cassette player circuit. Good luck and definitely be careful.