Fixing my D8443

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
Im just going to be putting all my boombox upkeep stuff here. As far as short-term goals, I would like to make sure my cassette player is working and maybe repaint the grill. Maybe in the future I’ll switch out the amp and speakers. It sounds fine so don’t see any need to now.

The other day I installed a new 5 segment antenna to replace the old snapped one and I can now listen to my favorite stations at school :cool:

F9BB0DF6-6D93-49A2-83F4-57A77AB060EC.jpeg

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Painting the grill will make the box look 100% better.
Not only that, it'll give you a chance to clean everything behind there including the speakers.
I vacuum speakers with a soft brush attachment and use a small, soft paint brush to get the finer dirt off.
I (carefully) clean the chrome dust covers with a little Windex.
After knocking out any dents, I hit the grills with fine steel wool or a 3M scuff pad.
I use Dawn and wash them really well with a sponge and stiff brush that can poke through the holes.
After that, I hit them with some satin black and they look like new.

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
Tape player broke couple of days ago and almost destroyed one of my friends tapes so I’ve had it up on the table for maintenance and finally found some time for it this weekend. I got two things (painstakingly) done today. First, I found the broken gear. Second, I pulled the grill off of the front of the thing to find that it is nasty. Now ive just gotta order the new gear and hope I didn’t break any electronics.

If anyone’s got tips and tricks for putting the cassette mechanism back together, please let me know :-)

34C8DA82-B94A-4F84-AE73-371A9D9150D0.jpeg
4E6E3A3B-96B8-49E5-BEAA-ABF0FF8D2F33.jpeg

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
It might be too late but take pictures of EVERYTHING, they'll come in handy when reassembling.
The first time working on a cassette player is a little intimidating, just be patient.

Clean any dust, dirt or gunky grease off of the mechanisms, wheels, etc.
If they haven't been changed already, I'd replace the belts while you're in there.
If you do, make sure to clean the belt paths with alcohol.
Also, clean any rubber tires and the places they contact in the player with some alcohol so they're not slipping because of dirt/dust/grease.
I always check the condition of the pinch roller.
Out of the 25+ boxes that I've refurbed, I only had to change one or two pinch rollers.
Remove it and make sure it's not cracked and still fairly soft.
If the surface is really dirty, you can lightly run it on some 180/150 grit sandpaper.
I wash them with a toothbrush, cream hand cleaner (Goop, Gojo) and then Dawn dish soap and let them dry.
Afterwards they look almost new.
Taking the capstan out and cleaning and reoiling with synthetic oil is also a good idea.
Just make sure not to lose any springs or tiny washers that might be on the shaft.
Make sure to clean the oil off of the shaft before reinstalling the clean pinch roller.
You don't want to get oil on the pinch roller or the tape as it's running between them.

You lucked out with the gears for these being readily available.

Reactions: 80sKidWannabe

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
3072FE82-0DCD-4F4E-82CA-CDD7E590BC1C.jpeg
The box is back together and looking great after I detailed the entire thing, inside and out.

I’m ordering belts and new gears but for now, everything works fine. I got a gear 3d printed at school and after some filing, it turns smoothly, albeit a bit noisy. I’ve got the grille off for refinishing21A8EAB8-C713-4412-A823-A1368AFC2EB1.jpeg

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
The gears I order online are always a bit noisy. I think that was the reason why they (Philips etc.) put the soft nylon gears in there. What I want to say: Maybe the gears one can buy online aren't better than the one you made. Think twice if you really want to take it all apart again without a noticable change.

Great cleaning job, looks super nice!

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
The gears I order online are always a bit noisy. I think that was the reason why they (Philips etc.) put the soft nylon gears in there. What I want to say: Maybe the gears one can buy online aren't better than the one you made. Think twice if you really want to take it all apart again without a noticable change.

Great cleaning job, looks super nice!
Its gonna have to come apart again because I’ve got new belts coming in the mail and I’ve gotta re-attach the grille. The gear I’ve got in theres working fine but I imagine the ff/rw gears that are also made of the nylon are also going to break eventually. Also which seller online did you get the gears from? I was considering getting the red ones on eBay that ship from poland because the description says they’re made of polyurethane resin which I think is soft. Can anyone here confirm? :huh:

Reactions: dubout

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Its gonna have to come apart again because I’ve got new belts coming in the mail and I’ve gotta re-attach the grille. The gear I’ve got in theres working fine but I imagine the ff/rw gears that are also made of the nylon are also going to break eventually. Also which seller online did you get the gears from? I was considering getting the red ones on eBay that ship from poland because the description says they’re made of polyurethane resin which I think is soft. Can anyone here confirm? :huh:
Those are exactly the gears I bought. They fit and work well, didn't have any trouble with them. But they are a bit noisy, too. Also it took the seller three mailings to get my order right. With over a week shipping that was a bit of a letdown. Communication and replacement are hassle free though, he's a good seller.

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
And no, they are not soft, they are hard like stone. But I thought polyurethane resin might last longer than whatever material / mix of material they use for 3d printing.

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
And no, they are not soft, they are hard like stone. But I thought polyurethane resin might last longer than whatever material / mix of material they use for 3d printing.
I’ll probably spend the next week going thru threads and seeing which gears work the best. I saw that one of the 3d printed gears you can get online is made of thermoplastic which is supposedly “low friction” and “flexible”

Reactions: dubout

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
Finals really kicked my ass this year but I’m finally back under the hood of my d8443. The new gears are here from Poland and the new belts came in from Illinois. I’m installing them now!0D95FC4D-6C56-4245-B13D-98DD651452F5.jpeg

80sKidWannabe

Mar 15, 2022
California (USA)
I’m also planning on tapping out new threads for the 10 screws that hold the two halves of the case together. Does anyone know of a good and resilient compound or glue that can be tapped and will bond to the plastic without expanding?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
The noise is from size of new gear being smaller than original and also the auto stop mechanism doesn’t work because of slipping gear from the smaller size