am i the only one that thougt maybe i get it for $4000 M90

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
yea and its a overseas buyer so add another $200 shipping and the % to byee company
Really i have known i will never have one as i will not pay that much
my next wish is to hear see one
I had a buyer from ebay wanted the back only he would pay $1000
I told him good luck buy with proxy company
until he asked the question is the back all good
the seller then uploaded the last photo showing a crack
even then $900

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
just got message from that guy on eBay he asked how much it went for
Like i was thinking he was really buying it
watching with me
really hard core
he told me the crack was no problem
and then how much DID IT GO FOR
i was like

DARN !
street boxes should have scare tissue
whats a little crack
Well at $900 its not my thing
i love a little crake in the $50 market

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
nikonfoo said:
Really i have known i will never have one as i will not pay that much
my next wish is to hear see one
I own one and while they do sound good I have to say.....the sound isn't 2,000 dollar good. If you can find one in working condition for 1,200 to 1,500 that'd probably be okay if you can swing it. Anything over that would be overkill unless it's mint in original box with all the paperwork and...if that's the case, that almost definitely means that the belts have turned to goo and you'll be paying top dollar for a non working machine (unless restored).

Finding one that has been lovingly used and maintained over time is the best bet for most people. Especially those who plan to enjoy them versus shelf queen them. Another issue is that even if you land one of these for a decent price, it most likely will exhibit or eventually will exhibit issues with the tape deck or other aging components. If you think it's difficult to obtain a working M90, imagine how difficult it will be to find parts. They're all obsolete. One of the sad realities of owning a machine that was produce in such low numbers. Anything outside of deck belts will be next to impossible without help from this community.

I do not know how I managed to get so lucky. They say Luck is where opportunity and hard work meet. I kept badgering and calling around two times during my ownership. Once to find one for sale and another scavenging around for a complete parts chassis to fix my volume issue.

This is one of those boxes that even if it broke tomorrow, I have the memories of ownership and will never regret the time and effort put in to be able to enjoy it. I'm so glad I got mine from a member for a decent price and was able to restore it with parts from another member. Both my C100's and my M90 I was lucky enough to get complete extra chassis parts with all the parts I'll hopefully need to keep them going until my dying day....hopefully....and if I can't I'll shelf queen them and just look at them...lol

Good luck to you my friend. I am proof that you just never know when one will come your way. But you're right. Don't spend 2,000 dollar eBay prices because that (unless you light cigars with 100 dollar bills) would ruin some of the pleasure of owning one.

It's still a debate as to whether price will drop after the loving generation passes that grew up with these boxes. With no attachment of the new generation it remains to see if the interest level will remain high.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
as i said i will never own one as i wont pay $900 for a boombox
that is junk 0 not even it plays radio
Its not me
and i am not blaming someone who does good for you
I would at some time like to hear one or see one
thats all

I grew up buying them in salvation army stores when i was 14 not M90's but 9696 sharps and such

i love my $10 boxes i can take to a party and give it to someone
who is so happy to see it
$10 ok plus postage $24
and then just say you love it yea here it is
all to their own
you tell me i have to get $900 + to be in the game thats not my game I leave it to you
dont tell me i have to play the game

and as Transistorized says
if there is a part missing arial or such
really no hope
A box worth this much no body is parting out
It can be a parter its still worth $1000
so you are looking at buying 2 boxes in most cases

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
nikonfoo said:
as i said i will never own one as i wont pay $900 for a boombox
that is junk 0 not even it plays radio
Its not me
and i am not blaming someone who does good for you
I would at some time like to hear one or see one
thats all

I grew up buying them in salvation army stores when i was 14 not M90's but 9696 sharps and such

i love my $10 boxes i can take to a party and give it to someone
who is so happy to see it
$10 ok plus postage $24
and then just say you love it yea here it is
all to their own
you tell me i have to get $900 + to be in the game thats not my game I leave it to you
dont tell me i have to play the gameand as Transistorized says
if there is a part missing arial or such
really no hope
A box worth this much no body is parting out
It can be a parter its still worth $1000
so you are looking at buying 2 boxes in most cases
Hey Geoff,
Hope you’re well.

Are there other places to find boxes over there? Classified ads or local sites or is it just Yahoo Japan?
Do they have Craigslist or gumtree equivalent?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Well Geoff, just FYI, I purchased a pretty minty victor M90 and it took a sizable $1300 chunk out of my wallet. That is USD. And if you think that's fairly reasonable especially considering that it is pretty good shape, I want to clarify that this was about 10 years ago, maybe more. So yeah, I was not one to think that $40 could score it.

On the other hand, as far as classic 1-piece boomboxes go, if you ever heard one in top working condition (not one with corroded controls, worn out caps, out of alignment tuner, funky pots that are falling apart.... well you'll understand the high demand on these things. It's reasonable argument to make that this is the "king" of the classic 1-piecers. Sure some folks like the C100 etc. but in reality, the sound between the two is very different. The M90 is far more hi-fi sounding, higher quality deck, etc, more refined, no speaker pops when changing functions, and simply better designed. That's why for me, I'll take an M90 any day over the C100.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
There really isn’t any logic involved when talking the prices of particular model boomboxes.

The M90 owes much of its’ $$$s to an album cover and relative scarcity. The M90 wasn’t even sold in my country! :-)

After listening to an M90 and Sanyo M9998K side by side, the Sanyo sounded every bit as nice as the M90. The M90 did have slightly better bass (due to the bigger drivers) and had more power. But when you consider M9998s go for a couple of hundred dollars, the M90 (based on purely performance to a $$$s ratio), offers poor value.

You could buy 10 ‘really nice’ M9998s to only a single ‘average condition’ M90!!! :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Jimmy, I couldn't disagree more. I've owned or worked on over a dozen M90's and have likewise own/owned/worked on almost as many M9998's. When both are working in top condition like they were meant to, they are in a different class. The prices aren't all dictated simply by an album cover nor scarcity. Anyone that owns one in good working condition will probably agree. That's not knocking the M9998, which is a terrific boombox. But to say that the difference comes down to an album cover simply isn't accurate. I for one couldn't care less for an album cover, nor did I even know it existed until seeing images of it from time to time, and as far as scarcity goes, that may be so in AU but here in USA, it's not at all scarce, just in high demand. You can see from one (to many) almost every day of the week on eBay and I have purchased several locally. My interest in them has always been in quality, relative ease in servicing, aesthetic appeal and sonic qualities. The M9998's have their own set of problems and challenges. Here in the States, it's M9998 (not K). The M9998 has a weaker tuner than the K model and prone to failures in the tuning circuitry. It is a nightmare to work on and you will find very few hobbyists who will tell you that they sooo look forward to rebelting or otherwise service their M9998. Shoehorning the innards back in is like trying to stuff a foam mattress back into the box after it was removed from packaging. Also, rather than a few well designed connectors in varying pin widths to prevent misconnections, the M9998 has many connectors that aren't intuitively placed making it easy to misconnect any number of connectors. The deck, when working properly is terrific, but when it needs service, it requires more advanced skills. I would say there's probably more than one junked M9998 because the owner attempted to rebelt it and the task went south. No motor speed adjustment also means that when the speed isn't right, it can be a huge issue. The cassette keys are easy to break off for some reason as I have seen that on several examples. Finally, the reels are made of plastic that has exceeded it's design life, as they have, are, or will be breaking soon. When newly released, perhaps none of these would be concerning to a buyer. But now that they are all 35 years old, these qualities are things a buyer needs to keep in mind and I'm sure some of these are factors that can cause a buyer to look elsewhere. Make no mistake, the M90 also has some of it's own quirks, but it's far easier to rebelt the M90 than the Sanyo. Also, don't underestimate the importance of power. It takes a bit of power to produce quality sound at certain loudness levels. Anyone that owns a wide range of home audio gear can attest that a high powered receiver usually sounds noticeably better than a lower powered receiver set to the same volume level. The greater dynamic headroom of the higher powered amp does make a difference and can reproduce music effortlessly while a lower powered amp can seemingly struggle. The M90 tweeters are something like 2-3/4 compared to the smallish 1 inches of the Sanyo. Whenever I listen to a freshly serviced M90, I am always impressed with it's sound quality. It's not just that it gets loud, the clarity and detail in the sound just always puts a smile to my face. I dunno, I'm sharing this as my own personal experience, I'm sure for others, and depending upon where they live and the availability of either of these models, their perceptions might differ. I'm not saying that your ears deceive you, but it's easy to get a skewed impression if you based the entire model on the experience of a single specimen. I have heard night and day level differences between M90s in various states of condition and repair. Anyhow, bottom line is that I highly disagree with the suggestion that the popularity of the M90 is due to an album cover. I got my first one because I was impressed with the M70. As a higher model, it's reasonable to presume that the 90 would be superior. And when I got it, it did not disappoint.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
M90s still aren’t ‘sonically’ worth $2000+ Supply and demand and internet hype (largely driven by punters who have never heard one) has more infuence over price than ease of service and the number of plug ins versus soldered wires.

If you want to see the ultimate in build quality, take a look inside a Yamaha PC-8!!! Auto reverse deck, Dolby B & C, steel casing for centre section , proper tuned timber cabinets, foot long amp heat sink and an M90 beating 15 watts RMS per channel. You know what a Yamah PC-8 goes for ???? Around $100!!

The M90 is the king of one piece boomboxes, just IMHO not worth anywhere near what people are asking for these things. :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
Of course the box's sonic fidelity alone isn't worth $2,000. As for the other things you mentioned with respects to the connectors, etc... that was a specific response to the M9998 example vs. the M90 suggestion that the M9998 is in the same class. Not all M90's are worth $2,000. The example above is currently $900. And as for the PC-8, come on now, that's a 3-pc and we all know that 3-pc'ers simply don't sell for as high as one-piecers. The attractiveness of a 1-pc has always been it's portability. No 3-piecer can ever come close to the popularity of 1-pc boxes for those who grew up loving the idea of the all-in-one set. Clips and hanging wires on the rear simply doesn't do it. In fact, if there is one liability for the M9998, it could be that it looks too much like a 3-piecer (short, squat, layout, torpedo shape).

To me, I respect the PC-8 but I will never get one. It's "looks" just doesn't do it, so yeah, aesthetics has a huge influence on popularity.

• 1-pc box
  • Top of the line model
  • Dope looks
  • Ease of servicing
  • Fantastic performance
  • Great Deck
  • High perceived quality

These characteristics combined results in high demand. When supply exceeds demand, then prices escalate. In the end, it's that simple.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
If you pay 1,200 to 1,300 for a working M90 today, you are (accounting for inflation) spending the same amount as you would've in the 80's. They were expensive then and they're expensive now. There were those who could never own one that thumbed their noses up at the ones who did while others flocked around to hear the sound. Nothing has changed in that regard however, I think it's a pretty good deal that you can own one today for the same price you would've paid back then (as long as it's working). The price stings as bad today as back then.

People have varying reasons for disliking the M90 but it mainly comes down to affordability and availability which means that all the negativity has more to do with that than the actual quality of the box...which is in the top tier of 1 piece boxes ever made.

Given this, it should not be to anyone's surprise that a working M90 would go for 1,200 to possibly 1,500 fully working and decent shape. Now the Buy it Now prices of 4,000 and up....they'll never sell. However if you see one fully working "Buy it Now" for 1,200 to 1,300 you can bet it will be gone in less than 2 days. If you start the bidding at 1,200 and get two folks fighting over it then it could reach 1,700 all in for a fully working example in decent shape.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
I just feel sorry for the poor guy/gal who pays $1200 for an eBay M90 that’s been rejected from a collectors pile because it needs a recap, has a worn out volume pot or deck resistors. It’s a hell of a financial gamble paying that kinda money for an ancient Boombox.

I guess I just don’t care too much about a box’s styling and internet popularity - if a box has top notch build quality and sound quality/power and nobody likes it because it doesn’t have the right ‘look’ or enough bling, then that’s the box I want!! (No eggs though) :lol:

I’m surprised Norm as a tech that you’d have no interest in checking out a box with ‘best of class’ build quality and specification because it doesn’t have the ‘look’. Unlike the PC-9, JVC PC-5 etc, the PC-8 is a true 3 piece with only the speaker cables exposed at the rear. Plus it’s a proper 15V dc, 10 D cell box.

The entire outer plastic casing (6 separate panels non load bearing) screw via machine screws (no self tappers) to a pressed steel, 5 sided inner frame that in turn supports the internal components - truly a unique, strong and very expensive to produce cabinet design.

Just don’t take on a big and unattractive Yamaha PC-8 in a street fight with your pretty little M90 because you just might loose. :lol:

Sorry to the OP for taking this thread off topic. :-)

Superduper

Member (SA)
That’s the nature of collecting, it’s not a matter of utility or need, it’s a matter of want. If it was only about power, Jimmy I’ve got many many Boomboxes that makes 15wpc seem minuscule. To my eyes, those others are far more attractive while doing it. I understand where you are coming from & your rationale. I’m just saying that the forces that drive the desire to buy a particular box over another isn’t always logical to everyone.

Plus you don’t need to feel sorry for the person who paid $1200 for something you don’t think is worth $200. You see, if you aren’t in the game, it’s not about you, it’s about the other guy that wants it bad enough to fork out the big bucks. Does anyone here think it’s plain stupid to buy a rare penny for $100k? Or how about a used postage stamp worth thousands because it’s printed crooked or something like that? Yes, I think that’s silly, but then again, it’s not about me and I’ll never understand either because I’m not in the game.

Lastly I’ll say this: about 1/2 dozen years ago, I sold an M90 for around $4400 with lots of bidding & hundreds of watchers. Tons of people here making accusations of shill and fake bidders & implausible sale, and ridicule. And suggestions that the item will come back up, I’ll never get paid, etc. Well guess what, the buyer paid, item shipped and pos feedback left. More importantly, about 4-5 years later, the guy contacted me through Ebay about another item I had for sale, and said “remember me? I bought your M90 way back, I loved it then and it’s still working perfectly today.” So he didn’t keep it stored in the box and uses it regularly and was happy enough to seek me out to say hi. I’ll never forget that. But please don’t tell him that he’s a foolish sap for wasting his hard earned money when he could have bought 50 M90 killing PC-8’s instead. He loves that M90 and could afford to buy it and that purchase made him happy... which is priceless.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Superduper said:
That’s the nature of collecting, it’s not a matter of utility or need, it’s a matter of want. If it was only about power, Jimmy I’ve got many many Boomboxes that makes 15wpc seem minuscule. To my eyes, those others are far more attractive while doing it. I understand where you are coming from & your rationale. I’m just saying that the forces that drive the desire to buy a particular box over another isn’t always logical to everyone.
Plus you don’t need to feel sorry for the person who paid $1200 for something you don’t think is worth $200. You see, if you aren’t in the game, it’s not about you, it’s about the other guy that wants it bad enough to fork out the big bucks. Does anyone here think it’s plain stupid to buy a rare penny for $100k? Or how about a used postage stamp worth thousands because it’s printed crooked or something like that? Yes, I think that’s silly, but then again, it’s not about me and I’ll never understand either because I’m not in the game.
Lastly I’ll say this: about 1/2 dozen years ago, I sold an M90 for around $4400 with lots of bidding & hundreds of watchers. Tons of people here making accusations of shill and fake bidders & implausible sale, and ridicule. And suggestions that the item will come back up, I’ll never get paid, etc. Well guess what, the buyer paid, item shipped and pos feedback left. More importantly, about 4-5 years later, the guy contacted me through Ebay about another item I had for sale, and said “remember me? I bought your M90 way back, I loved it then and it’s still working perfectly today.” So he didn’t keep it stored in the box and uses it regularly and was happy enough to seek me out to say hi. I’ll never forget that. But please don’t tell him that he’s a foolish sap for wasting his hard earned money when he could have bought 50 M90 killing PC-8’s instead. He loves that M90 and could afford to buy it and that purchase made him happy... which is priceless.
Hey Norm,

If I was going to buy a $4000 M90, you’d be the ONLY person I would trust!!!

I’ve often dreamt of buying a Sanyo M9994 (like that one you recapped) from you as I know it would be an awesome keeper box. The M9994 is the one box I’d pay big $$$s for in as new condition. :-) I know, I’m weird. :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hey Jimmy, we’re you around and see that M9994 when I sold it? Not many members were around that long ago, although I know of at least one guy who downloaded my entire Ebay ad to keep on his computer, maybe to support his continuing pointless YouTube Boombox vids. That M9994 wasn’t just recapped, it was stripped completely down, even all the aluminum trim was removed to repaint the cabinet & rebrush the aluminum. I think I sold it for around $650 which was a lot considering that was over 10 years ago. However I broke the bank years later & paid like double that for another example that was supposedly NOS with a crappy carton. I figured when all the other Boomboxes in my collection has turned to dust and broken beyond repair, I’ll always be able to rip open that carton and start over with a brand new M9994. Considering that was the model I worked a full year to purchase new when I was in my teens, you can say that will be a priceless moment years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.