Sharp GF-303SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I thought I might as well start a thread for this boombox. It's probably going to be multi-week process because of my hectic schedule leading up to Christmas. :-/ Anyway, the wife was "discussing" about all the parts on the kitchen table so I had to assure her that I was actually working on it. :lol:

I started with the top faceplate. Although the front and back case parts are really dirty, the top faceplate was dirty to infinity and beyond. I loaded up the sink with very hot water and added some Dawn liquid detergent. I let the piece soak for a couple of minutes and then started wiping. This is the first time I have tried using Dawn to clean boomboxes and I must say that I am quite pleased. The grease and grime wiped off fairly easily. You don't even want to know what color the water was after the cleaning.

Anyway, here are the first pics of the GF-303SG restoration:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Dishwashing soap is the best for cutting the grime!!!
Looking good Bobby keep us posted!!!!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
baddboybill said:
Did you get any extra critters from the orient inside the box?? :hmmm: :-O :-D
Hahaha! Thank goodness, no! :-D

I hope to have the back case ready for a Full Patron in the morning. We'll see. My daughter is home tomorrow on a "snow day." :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Okay, I finally got the back half of the case clean. :-) Damn, whatever was on the top was much easier to clean than the crap that was staining the back. :-/ I started with the hot water and Dawn again and got a good amount of the grime cleaned off. However, when I dried it to survey what was left, it still looked as bad (to me) as it did before the cleaning. Damn it! :thumbsdown: :annoyed:

I pulled out some of Paula's special blend for carpet cleaning and even that was a "no go." :sadno: I tried my trusty ol' Orange Glo, which is known to work wonders when cleaning boomboxes, and even OG couldn't tackle the nastiness that remained. :huh: :huh: It was almost like the grime had actually bonded with the plastic because it wasn't coming off at all.

I quickly fired up Google for a last ditch effort to try and clean the back case. I found an article referring to cleaning plastic lawn chairs and it was suggested to use a mix of baking soda and water - 1 gallon of water and 1 cup of baking soda. The article also stated that you could apply baking soda directly (for tough stains) and use just enough water to make a paste. So, that's what I did.

I want you to know those farkin' stains didn't stand a chance!! :w00t: :w00t: :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :breakdance: :-D :-) I was totally flabbergasted and elated at the same time! Wow! This stuff really works.

Anyway, enough of the jibber jabber. Here are the pics:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
btphoto said:
Great cleaning tip to remember!! Looks great!
great tip and awesome save --
if it was green paint --the baking soda may have ruined it -- :nonono: :'-(
so - i guess the green color was in the mold pigment

we love SUCCESS !!!! :drool: :thumbsup: :drool:

Fatdog said:
Superduper said:
So do you actually use the baking soda combination like a paste to "polish" the plastic or just rely on it's cleaning power?
Definitely for the cleaning power. Baking soda is apparently the bomb-diggity at cleaning all sorts of things:

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/bakingsoda

It's the fizzing/bubbling action that does the work I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.