New Chrome For Your M90 Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
Never half ars with these things man if you love'm, treat'm right-like Chubb Rock.
I'm still waiting on the oversized all metal and Chrome plated tunning knob. Aslo 6 new Chrome Bullet 5-way lever tips for all of the selectors.
The knobs in these pictures are all made of a solid metal with a threaded bullet tip so you can install the stems then slide the faceplate mold over them. You can screw the metal bullets on after the faceplate is back together. These are a solid metal so the chrome thickness is substantial.. It's so bright I couldn't get the evo to take a clear picture.

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
blu_fuz said:
What the h...... :huh:
I know right, it looks bizare in combination with the faceplate removed. This JVC RC M90 will have all the cheap dull plastic chrome removed and reserved for a later use (or sold to someone who likes dull plastic more than I do, hehe.). When this upgrade and renovation is complete, in about a month, i'll post a few pics. . After paint we'll silkscreen all of the lettering back in it's original place (with a few customization to that as well, maybe different fonts and a different color-dunno yet). There are a few electrical things that need to be sorted out as well. This M90 needs an aerial, if anybody has a junker or knows which cross refered aerial fits-please let me know.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
I'm definitely intrigued. :yes: Keep us updated on the progress.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Very interesting - shocked at first. Can't wait to see what happens.

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I was shocked at first too.... and then again the second time I looked. And the third.... :hmmm: :huh:

71spud

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
I would be all for it if the new knobs looked more traditional.... like the same shape and size as the original, just higher quality. :w00t: I am not a fan of the bullet look. :-/ But I withhold final judgement until I see it altogether. If you like it though and it is totally reversible then why not go for it! :thumbsup:

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
71spud said:
I would be all for it if the new knobs looked more traditional.... like the same shape and size as the original, just higher quality. :w00t: I am not a fan of the bullet look. :-/ But I withhold final judgement until I see it altogether. If you like it though and it is totally reversible then why not go for it! :thumbsup:
Well if you choose to be traditional i'm not one bit critical of you, it's understandable and well respected. Here's something that I would like to share with you...I was going to buy these cuz they were 20 minutes down the road from my house. I have already spent more than I need for "REAL" SHINY CHROME
I thought I would share this with you just incase you may want to bling up your tunning knob or volume knob - in a more traditional style.
Be warned I have not done any research on this particular corvette knob as far as; if it's "D" style 6mm, Thurled push-on, or a set screw, please do your own research (contact the seller for sizes, pics of the bottom, etc.) to see if this works for your application.
I will say this....everybody sells these for at least $40 for 2 pieces, so at $8 w/4 available, it's a steel-no pun intended
P.S. I don't know the differences in the C6 shapes but they are different, however chrome nontheless.

$8 auction
[ebay]330493283497[/ebay]
Regular priced auction
[ebay]380291783838[/ebay]

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
fresh produce said:
Almost done ? :hmmm: :popcorn: i like your style something different can wait to see the final pic
I can't wait for the next step. At the moment i'm working on the "frequency/sw, radio scale" artwork. The radio/scale panel on the M90 for unkown reasons are distorted and wavey as if it was a factory defect, dunno for sure???
I have designed a new custom panel that is minimal, unique and specific to this design.

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
Not that it is important, It is the same topic however. I thought I would post this to the thread for future chrome references.
I received the chrome 3-way switch tips today. It looks ok with the other weird chrome, I can't wait to see if I like it with the box body back in place.

I haven't decided on which one of these two Chrome "Tuning" knobs to use, anybody?

zorlac

Member (SA)
Sep 22, 2010
Flint,Michigan
www.facebook.com
Superduper said:
I can't wait to see the final project. Great to see such an investment into a boombox. Most people don't bother but I look at it as the next level and an expression of passion. The bottom knob for sure, if tuning since the indicator in the upper knob would make it look weird.
Thanks for the help, I wish that red indicater dot wasn't on that one - that knob is PHAT. I will try both.

There isn't really much $$$ investment as is time. I'm saving a lot by doing most the work. The chrome is an exception, it is not cheap. Then again that is the goal of this project to upgrade the plastic drab feel and look of the M90 to a more quality "Carver/Marantz" feel to it (traditional or nontraditional-but not plastic).

My opinion of the M90 has always been it's a good mechanically designed and sounding box yet lacking in aesthetics. This M90 was in bad shape when i got it, it will never look as good as a Sanyo M-X920 or a National RX 7200 but it will look better than it did before.

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Yo if that's what you like well then that's what ya like!! I personally think it's HOT :yes: :thumbsup: they sell these knobs in the Ford/Mustang world as well. I wonder what fits my C-100f? Gonna look into it. Thanks for the idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.