Mystery CL Discolite Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
If you saw this tread in the For Sale section: https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/21905-disco-lite-boombox-in-santa-maria/ then your aware of this strange story.

First and Foremost, THANK YOU Milosancho for posting the link. You got some Positive Boomboxery Karma coming your way brother! :yes:

Now, the long story.....

So, yesterday I sold my little yellow Toyota MR2. It was my daily driver, but wouldn't pass smog in California (because this state is LAME) and required $1000 worth of parts and service. So I sold it to a guy in Colorado.

I got home after a long day of delivering the car out to Los Angeles, got on line, came here to Boomboxery and looked at the "For Sale" section only to see the post above.

A Discolite listed on CL for $20 :jawdrop: I was PISSED! My other car is not registered (I do that this weekend) and my truck gets 6 miles to the gallon. The radio was listed in Santa Maria, about 100+ miles north of me.

For the hell of it, I texted the guy, no reply. I called, no answer and his voice mail said it had not been set up yet. I emailed. No replay.

Fatdog posted in the sales thread "SCAM ALERT" and I figured the same and wrote it off.

I go to bed late every night, last night at 1am. My wife gets up at 5am for work every morning and for some reason I got up with her. At about 5:20am I got a text message! I always keep my phone on the charger down stairs in the Boom Room at night, so if I wouldn't have been up, I would not have heard it....VERY WEIRD!

I replied and he replied back! I told him how far away I was and he told me he would let me have it for $15 without me even asking. He said to meet him at the Costco in Santa Maria at 6pm. I told him I would be there, even though I had no idea on how to get there!

By this time my wife had already left for work so I called her and told her the deal and asked if she could come home from work early and let me use her car. Needless to say SHE WAS PISSED because I asked her to do the same yesterday so she could pick me up after selling my car!

OK, all was set!

Then I get a text from the seller around 11:00am....someone offered him $100 :bang:

I texted back "Damn, I really wanted to come get it". Being a stand up guy, he asked if I could do $50! I told him yes and that I would be there at 6:00pm.

Wifey got home at 3:30, I jumped in the car and headed north. Took 2 hours and got there a half hour early.

He rolled up on time and had the radio. He told me he worked at a car junk yard and he found it in a junk car. So it was free to him. I gave him the money, grabbed the box and was gone in 2 minutes!

SO, the radio!

It's semi rough. Missing all but 1 EQ slider and missing 2 buttons. Deck 1 plays, but shuts off automatically and eats the tape. Deck 2 plays great, but the door fall's off. Radio works, but the tuning knob slips when you turn it. All the little lights work, but none of the speaker center lights work. Antenna is broken (only half) and there is no battery door. Plays on AUX fine.

But the sound is good and strong (stronger than the carrying handle :lol: )

Anyway....I GOT A DISCOLITE! :rock: :clap: :rock:

BTW, I know the build quality of these is so so, but I have to say, THIS THING ROCKS! The sound is very good and the EQ works good enough to really bring in the sound! I LOVE IT!

NEXT: The full rebuild treatment :-D

View attachment 1091020140819_190404.jpg20140819_190425.jpg20140819_190621.jpg20140819_194630.jpg20140819_203241.jpg20140819_203300.jpg20140819_203304.jpg20140819_203308.jpg20140819_203313.jpg20140819_203317.jpg20140819_203321.jpg20140819_203341.jpg20140819_203347.jpg

If anyone has some of the parts I need, please PM me!

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
That is awesome!! Definitely didn't think this was a legit listing, sounded way to good to be true! But you just proved me wrong which is absolutely brilliant! Really pleased for you dude :-) :-)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
OH MY GOODNESS! :w00t: Right about now, Yoda would be telling me, "That is why you failed." :lol:

Chris, I seem to recall a thread on how to fix the lights in the speakers. If you can't find it, let me know.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
mac daddy freshness said:
Damn dude awesome story!! It was about time Peter and I slipped up on Craigslist and you caught a break hahaha
DUDE! No Joke! You guys have been draining Ventura! Hows that Helix working out?

Northerner said:
That is awesome!! Definitely didn't think this was a legit listing, sounded way to good to be true! But you just proved me wrong which is absolutely brilliant! Really pleased for you dude :-) :-)
Thanks man! It was so stressful. I didn't want to drive two hours for a CL flake. I didn't want to piss off my wife by telling her "Never mind, I don't need the car" after she already asked for the time off, AGAIN! I didn't want to get into a bidding war with some other collector. I didn't want to get a text halfway up that it was sold.

Just stressful....The deal wasn't done until I was at home, no speeding tickets, no car crashes, Blaster on work bench!

Fatdog said:
OH MY GOODNESS! :w00t: Right about now, Yoda would be telling me, "That is why you failed." :lol:

Chris, I seem to recall a thread on how to fix the lights in the speakers. If you can't find it, let me know.
I Know Right?????

Last night when you said "Scam Alert" I was thinking about it at the same time!

BOSS on the lights!
I will search for it and let you know. Was going to open it up tomorrow and assess the damage! There are some parts, probably from the deck 2 door that are rattling around.

Anyone know if the 777 battery door fits these? Looks the same.

alfie

Member (SA)
Mar 11, 2010
Sydney, Australia
OUTSTANDING, well done brother, that is blaster karma right there!
A big thank you from the blaster gods for hosting the big meet!!
Well deserved Chris.....

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
that is a huge score for $50.00 ,hell i turned one down for $10.00 7 or 8 years ago, stupid ass me huh? lol.
never lived that one down because the prices went to the moon like instantly afterwards.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
DIBS :drool: :drool: :rock: :-D
-------------------------------------------

for the equalizer slider covers --go to ACE --see the box called ' thread protectors ' -
get the red or orange ones - they fit //look perfect

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Holy shiat it was for real?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is amazing!

Almost as good as my $50 M90 score :lol:

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
Thats killer Chris! :w00t:

Everyone should be as lucky at least once to have a CL deal like this. There is nothing like the stress build up and the epic release once its in your possession. Good job dude!! :rock: :rock:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Thank you guys....I am worn out today. I burned up a week's worth of adrenaline yesterday!

alfie said:
OUTSTANDING, well done brother, that is blaster karma right there!
A big thank you from the blaster gods for hosting the big meet!!
Well deserved Chris.....
:hmmm: :w00t: I hadn't thought of that!
"Come One, Come All, this weekend and EVERY WEEKEND is the MEGA MEET! :-D

JVC Floyd said:
that is a huge score for $50.00 ,hell i turned one down for $10.00 7 or 8 years ago, stupid ass me huh? lol.
never lived that one down because the prices went to the moon like instantly afterwards.
Ouch! Yeah, I can see how you would still hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.