Truck RIMS! LOOOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Superduper said:
Exactly what I said in PM. The slammed looks belongs on cars. Trucks are work vehicles. Let them work instead by giving them the gear they need to perform well instead of neutering them.
Of course all this is PERSONAL preference (as long as your towing safely). But I have never been able to get my head around car mod's that don't IMPROVE performance. I respect custom jobs and cars like Low Riders. But me personally, if it doesn't make it faster or handle better than whats the point?

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I'm a low and slow kinda guy. I guess I'm not your average hill-billy :lol:

I can still use the truck as a truck, what bugs me is when guys have their trucks jacked up, big tires, KC lights, push bars, winches, and they drive their truck to work as an insurance agent and it NEVER leaves city streets!

I'm trying to hit a little of the towing capacity for minimal driving (1hr-2hrs tops), and get maybe 1.5" lower, and a bit bigger wheel. My truck is setup with great suspension, 2500 motor, 2500 trans, HD tow package, weight distribution hitch, etc..... These trucks come factory with 22" wheels, so having a 22" is no sweat, 2 more inches is never a bad thing :lol: ask my wife!

The only reason this topic got started was because my factory polished 20's have horrible scaling under the clear coat and also bad peeling. Perfect for winter wheels if I decide to upgrade. AND the tires on the truck now are also bad for towing, the side walls are way too soft.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
I personally hate big lifted trucks with all the gadgets...i much prefer a truck dropped with a nice paint job, and huge wheels. I wouldn't worry about towing stuff blu with your truck and big wheels...my friends pull 38" boats with Cadillac Escalades with HUGE rims and rubber band tires without issue :lol:

That being said...i LOVE 4X4 mud bogging with huge trucks in the wild...THAT is fun :thumbsup:

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I would never put 40 series on a truck. I have 40 series on 18" on my BMW, and 3 of them are bent, even though they're heavy OEM wheels.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
blu_fuz said:
I can still use the truck as a truck, what bugs me is when guys have their trucks jacked up, big tires, KC lights, push bars, winches, and they drive their truck to work as an insurance agent and it NEVER leaves city streets!
That's the absolute WORST! We call those CHICK RIGS because they never see the dirt!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Or SoCal "bros" who take a Tacoma and flare out the fenders like a Baja racer.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
If you want your truck to stand out in the crowd, I've got one word for you: 'Crossplys' - old school baby! :drool: :-)
Yay! I always used to put X plies on three wheelers as ir's better to drift and slip than to grip and trip! It's so embarrassing having tipped a Bond or Reliant tripod on a left hander and being on the side that hit the road, just too far away from the passenger door to open it and get out, though when I have done that at least the cars were light enough to put back on their wheels manually and continue with the journey.
I wouldn't fancy having to right an inverted 4x4 that could weight the thick end of three tons! :-D

OK, so you'd be far less likely to put a large, four wheeled car on its side but X plies also mean that you get to have the same kind of tail-out fun at 30mph in an old RWD like a Datsun Sunny that you'd need to be travelling at 90mph to experience on modern radials with modern cars.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
I would never put 40 series on a truck. I have 40 series on 18" on my BMW, and 3 of them are bent, even though they're heavy OEM wheels.
I keep the OEM...on my BMW.
The higher one goes for the rim size the thinner the tire gets and lose the tire cushion and overall riding comfort. It loses the classy and royal looks for the car. I am too old for that.
I often see some old wrinkly fa*ts sitting in cars like that with very thin tires on biggest chrome wheels one can get that can lift the fender. Eeeks!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I just hit my dirty 30 this summer, so I'm not quite too old for big RIMZ just yet :lol:.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Just be aware, you'll be lucky to get one-third of what you paid for the rims when you try to sell them. Unlike boomboxes, they don't hold their value. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.