The baddest boombox ever DEVIALET PHANTOM GOLD ($3000).

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
DiamondBoxx said:
The DiamondBoxx XL is much louder, with STEREO sound and doesn't have to plug into a wall outlet. It can also be oriented vertically for line array performance for covering a big area with sound...for about 1/2 the price.
can the diamondboxx xl play 30hz at 105 decibels?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Line Out said:
I've read a review about the Phantom Silver (from the most notable HiFi-magazine in Finland). The speaker costs 2000€ here. Don't know about the Gold. Just visited their site and the power claims are a bit odd indeed.

The magazine titled it "A superspeaker from the future". They measured it at 105dB at the listening spot. And thats with the bass notes hitting 30Hz pretty much without attenuation. It weighs only 11 kg. Measured power usage was 16W in the stand-by and 30-120W in use. Though it seems there is no additional battery packs at all. So its not really a "portable" speaker.
LOL, so much for 3000 watts

KandiKlover said:
Yeah I don't understand how something like this gets 3 million views :dunce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6ERMA_5xE
Buy 100,000 or so from bot services or pay youtube to promote it to the front page. Ever wonder why some channels frequently on the front are completely junk? There ya go. Useless fad electronics these days lol
LOL, yep

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Reli said:
I've read a review about the Phantom Silver (from the most notable HiFi-magazine in Finland). The speaker costs 2000€ here. Don't know about the Gold. Just visited their site and the power claims are a bit odd indeed.

The magazine titled it "A superspeaker from the future". They measured it at 105dB at the listening spot. And thats with the bass notes hitting 30Hz pretty much without attenuation. It weighs only 11 kg. Measured power usage was 16W in the stand-by and 30-120W in use. Though it seems there is no additional battery packs at all. So its not really a "portable" speaker.

LOL, so much for 3000 watts

KandiKlover said:
Yeah I don't understand how something like this gets 3 million views :dunce:
Buy 100,000 or so from bot services or pay youtube to promote it to the front page. Ever wonder why some channels frequently on the front are completely junk? There ya go. Useless fad electronics these days lol
LOL, yepDo u find that same article's 105db at 30hz funny as well? I think that measurement alone is impressive in and of itself.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Superduper said:
That thing, in a boombox forum, titled as the world's baddest boombox ever....

..... definitely qualifies, no is the epitome of, "A BOOMBOX, UNCLEAR ON THE CONCEPT."
If I could do it all over again I would change the title to "IS THIS THE FUTURE OF "BOOMBOXES" — A POWERFUL BLUETOOTH SPEAKER?" The current title, it seems, is a little too ahead of its time.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.themasterswitch.com/review-devialet-gold-phantom
They compared this to the SVS-PB16 -Ultra subwoofer.
Now that’s IMPRESSIVE.
Just wanted to share this😎

“....That’s because there’s no possible way to fake what we heard, which was some of the deepest, most unbelievable bass on the planet.

How does 4,500 watts of power grab you? These Heart Bass Implosion drivers will easily make that noise | The Master Switch

“You cannot believe – you really cannot believe – just how intense the low-end on a Gold Phantom is. This is, after all, a product that can put out 4,500 watts when it’s turned up to the maximum, and which uses woofers (bass drivers) that feel like they have more R&D behind them than tech Elon Musk is launching into orbit. The bass felt like it extended back into infinity, swamping the room with unbelievable vibration and power. We love subwoofers, but this was something else. This was an eighth of the size of an SVS PB16-Ultra subwoofer (full review here), which we consider to be the one of the best available right now, and it easily held its own.“

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
4500 watts?
Let's see what the power consumption label says.....oh wait they don't give you one.
Someone contacted them and they said the 4500 is "peak", and RMS power is actually about 600

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Reli said:
4500 watts?
Let's see what the power consumption label says.....oh wait they don't give you one.
Someone contacted them and they said the 4500 is "peak", and RMS power is actually about 600
The wattage isn’t my concern. The sound and the decibels are. It could be 2 watts and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
True, I just don't understand why companies need to come up with these ridiculous numbers. "Because everyone else does it" isn't an excuse IMO.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I had my suspicions before, but I'm now convinced that panabox is a shill helping to promote and sell these overpriced wallet thinners. That's all he ever posts about. And when the thread is dead, he comes back and revives it. Could it be, he works for the company? Owns stock in it? Owns it? :hmmm: I dunno.... if it walks like a duck....

And all those watts, to produce an "insanely loud" 105db. So then this company needs to further boost it to FOUR THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED WATTS (that's 4500, in case the words are hard to read) = 108db. 108db. That's 108db for the latest version just to be clear. And all that loudness can be yours for the price of only one kidney. Oh and in case anyone is paying attention, the standard 120v AC receptacle is either on a 15A or 20A breaker. Meaning, if you are on a 15A breaker, 1800 watts will trip it. If it's a 20A breaker, then the circuit (which includes every device plugged into every other receptacle served by that breaker) is 2400 whopping watts of power before it trips. Somehow, this miraculous device can suck 4500 frikin watts from the circuit (unplug everything else first, we need all the watts we can get) and fool the breaker into thinking that it's drawing less than 1800/2400 watts so it won't trip, and then operate at 100% efficiency so that all that precious watts sucked from the receptacle is magically transfomed into the deepest bass and the loudest you'll ever hear compared to any other speaker in the world. Actually you got to hand it to the company. They figured out how to "compress" 4500watts into 2400watts. Just like winzip. Maybe they can trademark it ACzip.

And even though everyone says they hate it, it's NOT a boombox, bin it, wouldn't buy it, wouldn't date it, wouldn't want to be seen with it, and please go away.... just like in the TV commercials and the adult tries to spoon feed some mush or peas (or what have you) to an unwilling toddler whose arms are cross, lips snapped shut, and head shaking, "it's good for you, it's the best, it tastes great...", here comes panabox once again, "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it really sounds good, and you really should like it, trust me".... :blink:

Ok, yep. I only have 1 thing to say about that: Look at the lower right hand corner of grill. ONE HUNDRED & NINE friggen phantom vanquishing DB's. Yep 109db. And it will only cost you 39 watts input power to accomplish that. Imagine what it could do if force fed (or if it was made to believe it was actually getting) 4500 input watts. Wow. If I can only imagine. :hmmm: Or imagine the advertising snow (con) job.

109db.jpg

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Superduper said:
I had my suspicions before, but I'm now convinced that panabox is a shill helping to promote and sell these overpriced wallet thinners. That's all he ever posts about. And when the thread is dead, he comes back and revives it. Could it be, he works for the company? Owns stock in it? Owns it? :hmmm: I dunno.... if it walks like a duck....

And all those watts, to produce an "insanely loud" 105db. So then this company needs to further boost it to FOUR THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED WATTS (that's 4500, in case the words are hard to read) = 108db. 108db. That's 108db for the latest version just to be clear. And all that loudness can be yours for the price of only one kidney. Oh and in case anyone is paying attention, the standard 120v AC receptacle is either on a 15A or 20A breaker. Meaning, if you are on a 15A breaker, 1800 watts will trip it. If it's a 20A breaker, then the circuit (which includes every device plugged into every other receptacle served by that breaker) is 2400 whopping watts of power before it trips. Somehow, this miraculous device can suck 4500 frikin watts from the circuit (unplug everything else first, we need all the watts we can get) and fool the breaker into thinking that it's drawing less than 1800/2400 watts so it won't trip, and then operate at 100% efficiency so that all that precious watts sucked from the receptacle is magically transfomed into the deepest bass and the loudest you'll ever hear compared to any other speaker in the world. Actually you got to hand it to the company. They figured out how to "compress" 4500watts into 2400watts. Just like winzip. Maybe they can trademark it ACzip.

And even though everyone says they hate it, it's NOT a boombox, bin it, wouldn't buy it, wouldn't date it, wouldn't want to be seen with it, and please go away.... just like in the TV commercials and the adult tries to spoon feed some mush or peas (or what have you) to an unwilling toddler whose arms are cross, lips snapped shut, and head shaking, "it's good for you, it's the best, it tastes great...", here comes panabox once again, "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it really sounds good, and you really should like it, trust me".... :blink:

Ok, yep. I only have 1 thing to say about that: Look at the lower right hand corner of grill. ONE HUNDRED & NINE friggen phantom vanquishing DB's. Yep 109db. And it will only cost you 39 watts input power to accomplish that. Imagine what it could do if force fed (or if it was made to believe it was actually getting) 4500 input watts. Wow. If I can only imagine. :hmmm: Or imagine the advertising snow (con) job.

109db.jpg
Why can’t u just appreciate impressive sound in such a small package without attaching an ulterior motive of some sort? That’s technology that could eventually trickle down to old school boom box territory for us enthusiasts. I wish more on here would talk about it. It would only help our cause. U seem very set in your ways and closed to new technology. U also are focusing on the wrong thing: the power rating. Try focusing more on its performance, the review that compare it to massive home subwoofers and try to appreciate that. A future boom box (old school style) utilizing this technology.

Superduper

Member (SA)
You just don't get it. That's NOT a boombox as far as the definition for which this forum caters to. It's like trying to sell an imported 4-banger to a bunch of american muscle hot rod guys. It's just not our thing. As for integrating new technology into old school sets, that IS something that many of us are interested in, and doing. If you don't know this, then you aren't paying that close attention. Most of us are middle class working folk that have limited budget and collect $50 - $300 stuff, perhaps an occassional $700 splurge for a few of our more well-to-do members. But make no mistake, it's more than just ear deafening sound that we are into. It's the whole thing... the all-in-one tuner/cassette/aux/speakers(pref stereo), and aesthetics are important. By aesthetics, there's no question that most of us will be drawn to the classic styling and although there are bejeweled decorated egg collectors in the world, I don't think you're going to find ONE soul here that will find something that looks like a polished dinosaur egg palatable, no matter how bassy it gets. If that's your thing, that's fine, and you shared it years ago and I don't recall anyone here falling heads over heels over it. And then there's the marketing crap. Some of us knows about electricity and watts. I have a Marantz 2500 receiver and it's rated at 250 watts/channel. The power cord is as thick as your finger and stiff as freak, for 250wpc. I also have a Carver PT-2400 power amp. It is rated at 750wpc x2. And it has IEC power sockets. You know, the kind used on equipment that sucks huge amounts of power. And you'll notice that I said socket(s). Yep, for the rated power, it requires TWO power cords, and each requires it's own circuit. That's how much input power is needed to output 750wpc x2. So 4500 watts? Does it plug into a range or welder receptacle with thumb sized cables? If not, that suggests that the $3k cost of that egg is probably $2800 marketing-BS/profit, and $200 speaker. If it sounds great and costs $200, and maybe advertised at it's (probably) more true 50-100 watts, it might get better reception. Your speaker promotion (not boombox) is not the only device that gets pushback here, there are other bluetooth speakers that are insanely loud, portable, and more boombox "looking" than that egg, and they get pushback too. Lets just say in a monster truck 4-wheeling magazine, there's very few advertisements for Toyota Corolla or Ferrari accessories, and for good reason. It's the wrong crowd.