The baddest boombox ever DEVIALET PHANTOM GOLD ($3000).

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
I've read a review about the Phantom Silver (from the most notable HiFi-magazine in Finland). The speaker costs 2000€ here. Don't know about the Gold. Just visited their site and the power claims are a bit odd indeed.

The magazine titled it "A superspeaker from the future". They measured it at 105dB at the listening spot. And thats with the bass notes hitting 30Hz pretty much without attenuation. It weighs only 11 kg. Measured power usage was 16W in the stand-by and 30-120W in use. Though it seems there is no additional battery packs at all. So its not really a "portable" speaker.

https://store.devialet.com/soon/silver-phantom.html
https://store.devialet.com/soon/gold-phantom.html

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
panabox1 said:
Perhaps. I see it as a boombox in its own right due to its portability albeit an A/C only one. I also see it as the future of speakers in many ways.
Batteries make a box portable. If AC is portability, then what isn't portable to you? Any home stereo or appliance that needs an outlet is now "portable"
I can't think of one way these are the future of speakers, but you know of many. I can't get past how this is only one company, and nobody even knows how they work. Perhaps Devialet will keep it that way, and opt for the money rolling in from the "haves."

Sel The Don

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2015
Bursa, Turkey
I've actually demo'd these, the Silver and the Gold as I was out to buy a new set of speakers.

I wasn't particularly impressed although the bass did go pretty deep there wasn't enough 'oomph' in it, and the highs sounded harsh to my ears. Midrange was washed out because the bass and treble are vying for action.

Build quality is exceptional. The two round 'domes' you see are the subs, and when they're moving air and you put your hand on the Phantom you feel absolutely no vibrations. That I liked.

Definitely not worth the money they're asking for but the marketing is geared towards younger buyers with cash to burn. It looks good in the flesh so will appeal to that market.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Sel The Don said:
I've actually demo'd these, the Silver and the Gold as I was out to buy a new set of speakers.

I wasn't particularly impressed although the bass did go pretty deep there wasn't enough 'oomph' in it, and the highs sounded harsh to my ears. Midrange was washed out because the bass and treble are vying for action.

Build quality is exceptional. The two round 'domes' you see are the subs, and when they're moving air and you put your hand on the Phantom you feel absolutely no vibrations. That I liked.

Definitely not worth the money they're asking for but the marketing is geared towards younger buyers with cash to burn. It looks good in the flesh so will appeal to that market.
Thanks for sharing. Could u tell a difference between the silver vs the gold? And what kind of speakers did you end up buying?

Sel The Don

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2015
Bursa, Turkey
panabox1 said:

Thanks for sharing. Could u tell a difference between the silver vs the gold? And what kind of speakers did you end up buying?
The difference was negligible to be honest, the gold sounded a little warmer, richer.

I ended up demo'ing 6-7 speakers ranging from Dali Speakers to the Devialets. I went for pair of Q Acoustics 3050's as they were punching well above their weight in terms of sound reproduction, bass and price. Awesome speakers.

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
Sel The Don said:

The difference was negligible to be honest, the gold sounded a little warmer, richer.

I ended up demo'ing 6-7 speakers ranging from Dali Speakers to the Devialets. I went for pair of Q Acoustics 3050's as they were punching well above their weight in terms of sound reproduction, bass and price. Awesome speakers.Those q's get good reviews and for the money you can't beat them. U must live in an area where there are still high-end stores with lots of nice equipment to demo. Unfortunately with the advent of Best Buy and the like, finding high end audio to demo is becoming harder and harder. About the bass on the devialet', it's amazing how something so small can get so deep in the bass range. If that tech ever made its way to "old-Skool" boomboxes that would be AMAZING!!!!!!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
If I had those kind of funds to build a Boombox it would be a good old-fashioned pussy wetter. The evil tron that would destroy all monsters.

Sel The Don

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2015
Bursa, Turkey
It was a toss up between the Qs and the dalis but as the price different was too great I went for the 3050s.

I actually bought them from an AV Store (called the AV Store) in Bucharest and carried them through 6 countries. There aren't many high quality AV shops around here in Turkey so whilst I was out on my tour I picked a pair up.

The Devialets do go low but I've heard better - the 3050s kick them into next week, unfortunately their small size is its limitation.

erniejade

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
I'm jumping in late to the party. The Devialet do sound darn good but, a bit $$$. I was recently in the market for speakers in my small room and wound up going with Kef LS50 Wireless with a old velodyne spl1200. A lot of companies are going with Powered speakers that have built in streaming now. I cant wait for the Klipsch Fifteen to come out.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah I don't understand how something like this gets 3 million views :dunce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6ERMA_5xE

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
Reli said:
Yeah I don't understand how something like this gets 3 million views :dunce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6ERMA_5xE
Buy 100,000 or so from bot services or pay youtube to promote it to the front page. Ever wonder why some channels frequently on the front are completely junk? There ya go. Useless fad electronics these days lol

panabox1

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2010
erniejade said:
I'm jumping in late to the party. The Devialet do sound darn good but, a bit $$$. I was recently in the market for speakers in my small room and wound up going with Kef LS50 Wireless with a old velodyne spl1200. A lot of companies are going with Powered speakers that have built in streaming now. I cant wait for the Klipsch Fifteen to come out.
I read those kef ls50 had EXCELLENT sound stage and separation. From what I read the devialet phantoms had more bass and a stronger punch, but I can't say for sure cause I haven't personally heard them.

Line Out said:
I've read a review about the Phantom Silver (from the most notable HiFi-magazine in Finland). The speaker costs 2000€ here. Don't know about the Gold. Just visited their site and the power claims are a bit odd indeed.

The magazine titled it "A superspeaker from the future". They measured it at 105dB at the listening spot. And thats with the bass notes hitting 30Hz pretty much without attenuation. It weighs only 11 kg. Measured power usage was 16W in the stand-by and 30-120W in use. Though it seems there is no additional battery packs at all. So its not really a "portable" speaker.

https://store.devialet.com/soon/silver-phantom.html
https://store.devialet.com/soon/gold-phantom.html
105db at 30hz is pretty darn AWESOME.

DiamondBoxx

Member (SA)
May 12, 2017
The DiamondBoxx XL is much louder, with STEREO sound and doesn't have to plug into a wall outlet. It can also be oriented vertically for line array performance for covering a big area with sound...for about 1/2 the price.