R.I.P. RadioShack

Status
Not open for further replies.

restocat

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2010
New Mexico, USA
What were they really telling us in their superbowl ad?

Did they know they were on their way out, and just put a bright face on it?

http://youtu.be/DaZKnNmd0dg

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Bringing this back....

Has anybody been to the remaining stores? I've been 3 times the last two weeks, looking at different things for ideas. Picked up some regulators.

But I noticed all 3 times, at two different stores, NO Solder. Not a single roll. I asked, they said they don't control what comes in shipments.

But every time I went, they had more and more Desoldering stuff. Anybody else noticed this? I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence or are they curing back on selling this?

Luckily I found a roll, but I couldn't believe it. Not a single thing of any type of solder.

ralrein1

Member (SA)
That's good to hear that they are still in some areas. The two in my town closed down last year! It sucks,as that is were I used to get my solder. I have a friend up in Portland,Oregon. He says that there are still a few up there. Must be that large population zones can still support them.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
I have a Radio Shack too. They don't carry replacement antennas though. DeOxit is still stocked. I'm still glad to have them around in any capacity.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
I still have 2 around me. For some odd reason though, the last FIVE times I've gone in they have NO SOLDER!!! They had soldering tools, desoldeering tools, but no solder.

I asked when they were going to get more, they just said, "We don't know, they just send a truck full of stuff and that's what we get."

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
After reading that article it might make sense of why I has a problem finding stuff. They had to get new vendors and such it sounds like. Hmm... it's been a couple months, maybe I'll check them out again.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Interesting. I never go there, except to recycle batteries lol. I don't like small stores where the salespeople are constantly pestering me and asking what I'm looking for. Also everything they sell I can get cheaper on Ebay, including Deoxit.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Reli said:
Interesting. I never go there, except to recycle batteries lol. I don't like small stores where the salespeople are constantly pestering me and asking what I'm looking for. Also everything they sell I can get cheaper on Ebay, including Deoxit.
Just tell theme you're looking for a rectifier and they leaveyou alone. Lol.

Do they take the dead batteries for free??? My recycling company says theyre free to recycle, but you have to drive 20 miles to their recycling center, they won't pick them up.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah they take them for free. Hell, where I live you can even leave them in a bag on top of your blue recycling bin.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Reli said:
Yeah they take them for free. Hell, where I live you can even leave them in a bag on top of your blue recycling bin.
Nice! That's great to know... I'll admit I've done the bad of throwing them away, but recently I've just been keeping them in a bag. Now I have a close place to go!!!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
What's worse is throwing away prescription drugs. Then that **** gets into our groundwater and then into our water supply. And the water utilities say they're unable to remove them.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
So.... I went to RadioShack today, and what do ya know, they had solder!!! In fact, they had more Solder than I had ever seen before, I was amazed.

But, and thus could just be mine, but I asked about recycling dead used batteries, the guy told me they take all rechargeables, besides car batteries, but do not accept Alkalines. :( that sucks...

6.1SRT

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2016
I went to Radio Shack today. They still pretty much carry what they used to carry. Got some Deoxit and an universal replacement antenna. They have all the tools, solder, batteries etc.. that they always carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.