Post your cassette finds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Machine

Member (SA)
Sep 13, 2010
Melbourne's East, Victoria, Australia
Nice stuff, just looking at all the colours+graphics of the cassettes and their wrappers are bringing back some fond memories....
I have a lot of 90's era maxell tapes/wrappers, and a handfull of old black/orange BASF tapes and hanimex? etc....

Aussies :
What's the situation with cassettes these days? can i still buy them in JB Hifi etc? or are they completely wiped out now????

It was only a year ago i was throwing out boxes of cassettes in one of my workshop cleanups.....doh !!!

MM

Marty Machine said:
Nice stuff, just looking at all the colours+graphics of the cassettes and their wrappers are bringing back some fond memories....
I have a lot of 90's era maxell tapes/wrappers, and a handfull of old black/orange BASF tapes and hanimex? etc....

Aussies :
What's the situation with cassettes these days? can i still buy them in JB Hifi etc? or are they completely wiped out now????

It was only a year ago i was throwing out boxes of cassettes in one of my workshop cleanups.....doh !!!

MM
Marty, you won't be able to get commercial releases on cassette any more, some indie bands do cassettes, but my personal feeling is that it's a bit of a fad, local independent record stores will have some. Sanity, HMV, JBs etc probably will not.

Blank Type 1 cassettes TDK D's are available at JB HiFi (the hi-fi store that doesn't sell hi-fi), SONY HF Type 1's are available in Woolies. (look near the blank CDs and DVDs), about 5 bucks for a 3pack in both of these stores. Note that whatever brand you buy they are likely to have been made at the same factory in Thailand.

Metal (Type III, Type IV and Chrome Type II's) I haven't seen anywhere for a long time, ebay is a good place to start if you are looking for higher quality NOS tape. Also check tapeheads.net cassette section, there are often sellers in the trading section with good cassettes for sale. You would have to register though, but don't be scared they are good guys with an amazing level of knowledge. Many Aussies there as well.

Some local independent record stores may have old stock they can't sell in storage, don't be scared to ask, you may pick up a bargain, especially if they have boxed quantities of Metals.

Marty Machine

Member (SA)
Sep 13, 2010
Terry said:
Marty, you won't be able to get commercial releases on cassette any more, some indie bands do cassettes, but my personal feeling is that it's a bit of a fad, local independent record stores will have some. Sanity, HMV, JBs etc probably will not.

Blank Type 1 cassettes TDK D's are available at JB HiFi (the hi-fi store that doesn't sell hi-fi), SONY HF Type 1's are available in Woolies. (look near the blank CDs and DVDs), about 5 bucks for a 3pack in both of these stores. Note that whatever brand you buy they are likely to have been made at the same factory in Thailand.

Metal (Type III, Type IV and Chrome Type II's) I haven't seen anywhere for a long time, ebay is a good place to start if you are looking for higher quality NOS tape. Also check tapeheads.net cassette section, there are often sellers in the trading section with good cassettes for sale. You would have to register though, but don't be scared they are good guys with an amazing level of knowledge. Many Aussies there as well.

Some local independent record stores may have old stock they can't sell in storage, don't be scared to ask, you may pick up a bargain, especially if they have boxed quantities of Metals.
Thanx Terry, good to know where to go, or NOT to go ;-)
I'll have a snoop around, but if i find boxload of metals etc, i'll be passing them on, coz i dont need too many cassettes, just a few here'n'there...

Marty.

Marty Machine

Member (SA)
Sep 13, 2010
Just got home from cassette scrounging tonight....

I found Type 1's (as expected) :

- Sony EF90 at woolies,
- TDK D90 + D60 at officeworks,
- NOTHING at JB.

I'm really spewin', coz it was less than a year ago, when i threw out approx 200x Type 2/chrome & metal cassettes (most unopened in their 10pack-boxes).

I think i can still get the remaining stock from our storeroom at work, lucky me ;)

DOH !!!

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Well I managed to pickup 7 wrapped maxell 90's. They're normal position but for 40p each I'd rather have them in my empty cassette box and the money went to a good cause so everyone's happy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.