Official Boombox Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomboxMag

Member (SA)
Jul 30, 2016
Los Angeles
www.boomboxmag.com
Issue 5 of Boombox Magazine will be out February 15th, 2017 at www.BoomboxMag.com

2 Live Crew Cover Issue 5 Large.jpg

Issue 5 features:

Full interview with 2 Live Crew members DJ Mr. Mixx, Brother Marquis & DJ Chef
Full interview with Public Enemy member Sammy Sam (aka Sammy Vegas)
Head to Head comparison JVC DC-33 vs Sharp VZ2000
Dr Der's custom Hip Hop Trooper Lasonic i931 build
Blaster Chat with David Rivera and Ernie Marody
Blasters in the Wild with Carlos Rodriguez
The story of Adam THAFUZZ

Plus Much More!

Purchase ALL issues at www.BoomboxMag.com

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
BoomboxMag said:
Issue 5 of Boombox Magazine will be out February 15th, 2017 at www.BoomboxMag.com

2 Live Crew Cover Issue 5 Large.jpg

Issue 5 features:

Full interview with 2 Live Crew members DJ Mr. Mixx, Brother Marquis & DJ Chef
Full interview with Public Enemy member Sammy Sam (aka Sammy Vegas)
Head to Head comparison JVC DC-33 vs Sharp VZ2000
Dr Der's custom Hip Hop Trooper Lasonic i931 build
Blaster Chat with David Rivera and Ernie Marody
Blasters in the Wild with Carlos Rodriguez
The story of Adam THAFUZZ

Plus Much More!

Purchase ALL issues at www.BoomboxMag.com
:rock:

BoomboxMag

Member (SA)
Jul 30, 2016
Los Angeles
www.boomboxmag.com
Issue 5 is available now! This issue has an exclusive interview with the world famous, platinum record selling rap group 2 Live Crew. This issue also features a 1on1 with Sammy Sam from Public Enemy and much more!
Head over to boomboxmag.com now to get your copy!

And as always thanks for everyone's support!

Will

Attachments

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Any more issues coming up? I know it's probably been a set back with Chris moving to Italy.
Hi Kenny, thanks for the inquiry. I've been meaning to post regarding it's future.

Boombox Magazine, like any print publication suffers from the fact that you can get everything online. My brother Will and I have worked hard to find a new angle, get into the field and take pictures, get submissions from people that are not part of the regular scene here on Boomboxery or S2Go and do interviews with artist's who might have interesting stories about their time with radio's in the past.

The problem that I face is, when an event happens that I would like to cover, before I can get it out into your hands, it's been all over social media, so I have little to offer in that regard. I do plan on covering the UK meet, Dessau meet and Minsk meet for the mag, but by the time I get it printed, everyone will have shared it here, so not sure if it really matters.

I have some other idea's, but most of it is what you can already get here on Boomboxery. If I withhold posting a technical fix only to post it in the magazine I feel bad for keeping it from Boomboxery members that will probably never buy the magazine but could really use that information for their own projects.

We have also looked extremely hard for a solution to the cost. I believe if the cost was around $7-9 shipped in the US it would move more copies making all the effort worth while, but since it sells in limited qualities, it's hard to build a team and justify all the man hours that go into it.

I will say, members Dr DER, SLO and my brother DarkSideWill have worked tirelessly to make the past issues happen and much work has already been done for future issues, which would be a shame to not continue. I can't thank them enough.

I have already invested thousands of dollars into trademarking the name, website/domain purchases, online storage, camera / lighting and backdrop equipment with the goal of raising the bar on quality. But with our current print supplier, we are limited to 30 pages and a fixed price.

Before I can really search for other printing options I need to secure the name so someone else doesn't simply steal it from an insider at a printing company (as I have heard has happened).

The last issue is shipping. In order to lower the price, I would have to order in bulk, XX amount of copies and pray they sell. I would also have to stuff envelopes myself, print shipping labels, drive to the post office (36 miles away in my case) and ship world wide from Italy. My brother says he can help, but he is working a full time job with tons of over time. Tough to be motivated to come home after a 12 hour shift to stuff envelopes for free.

Again, I have some ideas to fill pages, I want to lean heavier on high quality pictures and interviews with musicians that you can't get here on Boomboxery.

Thanks again for your interest Kenny

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Absolutely man, and every bit of that makes sense.

One thing I've personally noticed, is that the website we order it from, when we choose a shipping option. They don't seem to have a "Media Mail" option. Which they absolutely should. Media Mail is substantially cheaper, and would probably make it easier for pepole to decide to buy magazines.

I don't know if that's something that can be suggested. I know the shipping stuff is not I'm your hands, it's Magclouds, but I know it would cut the $6 for shipping down to probably somewhere around $2. That would, in my opinion, make it easier to buy/sell issues as they come out, rather than waiting for a few issues and buying 2 or 3 issues at a time.

I'm sure that's only a small piece of the picture, but from a buyers perspective, I'd have no problem spend $2-3 shipping each issue as they are released. $6 is a little steep, so I've been waiting every other issue. I know that's not in your control though. But I'm surprised Magcloud hasn't figured that out.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
trippy1313 said:
Absolutely man, and every bit of that makes sense.

One thing I've personally noticed, is that the website we order it from, when we choose a shipping option. They don't seem to have a "Media Mail" option. Which they absolutely should. Media Mail is substantially cheaper, and would probably make it easier for pepole to decide to buy magazines.

I don't know if that's something that can be suggested. I know the shipping stuff is not I'm your hands, it's Magclouds, but I know it would cut the $6 for shipping down to probably somewhere around $2. That would, in my opinion, make it easier to buy/sell issues as they come out, rather than waiting for a few issues and buying 2 or 3 issues at a time.

I'm sure that's only a small piece of the picture, but from a buyers perspective, I'd have no problem spend $2-3 shipping each issue as they are released. $6 is a little steep, so I've been waiting every other issue. I know that's not in your control though. But I'm surprised Magcloud hasn't figured that out.
I totally agree with you on that, but I am certain that's where they are making their money, in inflated shipping costs. Of course, the also have to pay someone to stuff it in an envelope, print a label, answer questions about orders. The two main reasons we have used Magcloud is because the print quality is second to none and they have top notch customer service. We have had people with credit card issues, wondering where their order is and the like and they answer that stuff fast. Yet another thing I would have to do if I had a cheap print house print and ship them to me in bulk.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Yeah that's true, they do have good customer service. My first order got lost in the mail, it took them two shipments to get them here, and I didn't complain once, and they offered to refund the shipping I paid. I declined just cause I wasn't in a rush, but they did it anyways. Very cool.

Dr DER

Member (SA)
Jan 30, 2015
Refferside Cali
Slo And myself are willing to do almost whatever it takes to keep this magazine going. We have some things in the works and hope to get many more interviews. Also talking to other members about doing interviews with them. Hoping to feel the pages of the magazine and help Chris and will out.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Dr DER said:
Slo And myself are willing to do almost whatever it takes to keep this magazine going. We have some things in the works and hope to get many more interviews. Also talking to other members about doing interviews with them. Hoping to feel the pages of the magazine and help Chris and will out.
Your the man Dave, we appreciate everything you have done. I guarantee there will be more issues because I want to print the interview you did with Egyptian Lover, plus we have some more content.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
I've realized that too, Chris.. Newspapers and current event magazines are becoming dead technology..
Newspapers are really only for the people too old to access the Internet..
But, with Boombox Magazine..you are catering to a specific market..collectors! Who love to have a physical copy of their memories and not just an online slideshow..

Status
Not open for further replies.