New 'China' Seller in L.A.? USPS LOST MY 777!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I am very investigative by nature and the thrill-of-the-hunt really gets me fired up.

If I can help with the skills I have, consider it done :yes: . Now lets get that rat bastard!

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
imacer --agree that the fed does have these 'powers'

but in my case -- these powerful inspectors --were a pack of lazy slobs who
chose to do NOTHING --

and when i was about to report them to the police --
they said - NO ---
the postal inspectors " are their own police "

:dunce: :thumbsdown:

its a lose//lose for us USPS customers

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Mrs. Fatdog said:
Fatdog said:
Mrs. Fatdog said:
Seems like you guys should pay the extra whatever for signature verification. Don't mean to be snarky. But if I am shelling more than $50 to anyone, better darn well come with everything that the PO has to ensure that I get my package.
That still doesn't guarantee anything. The seller could just take the extra $2 and still send out a fake package.
It guarantees that if you signed for and accepted a package that didn't weigh the 50+ pounds of the expected boombox, that well.....as Bill Engvall said "here's your sign".
You are basing that on the seller actually doing what you ask.

Superduper

Member (SA)
redbenjoe said:
Superduper said:
Doubtful any outsiders can infiltrate the postal system to change scans. I still think it's a postal employee who's finagling the scans.
norm --study fatdogs post --
its all so freekin simple -

NO fake scans involved -- at all

just a fake address in the same zip
Very true Ira. That is one reason why amazon.com will not accept postal scans as a means to indemnify sellers since there is no way to show delivery to actual address, only zip code unless signature confirmation is chosen as method of delivery. But here is my problem with fatdogs explanation-- this guy clearly has no BOOMBOX. He would have no clue who is gonna buy it. Plus my experience is that all scans on deliberate misdelivery items should be plausible. When you combine what we know with impossible scans.... Then it no longer adds up.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
This is just crazyness - I can't believe people actually do this crap..... :nonono:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Sorry to hear about this situation, JLF.

Whenever I see one of these scams it always seems like so much effort for so little return.
I mean, all this work for $300? Plus the very high probability he'll get found out and even face prosecution.

All for $300? ... Boggles my mind.

Hope you get it all sorted JLF

Rock On.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
joe --BELIEVE IT !!!

if this crook does only 4 X $250 boombox scams per week --
thats an EASY $50,000 per year -- clear profit :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

-------------------
then --he/she is prolly doing the same with old valuable car parts // collector watches // old rare radios
etc etc etc .....
how about $$$$$$$$$$$$ millions

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Let's say I'm a crooked seller on eBay. I want to sell a working JVC M90 with a bargain price of only $500 with free shipping. I get some sucker to fall for the trap and he clicks on the BIN button and pays me with PayPal.

Now, since I don't really have a JVC M90, I go out and purchase a small padded envelope for about $1.00. I then go to Google Maps. I type in the buyer's address and then scan out a bit and find another address close to him. I write "Occupant" on the padded envelope and then the fake address. Of course, I use a fake return address too. I then go to the post office and get a delivery confirmation sticker for the padded envelope and mail it. Total cost is less than $4.

Eventually, the padded envelope will reach the mailing address and will be scanned as delivered. The buyer never receives anything and I never even needed an inside man at the post office. As far as eBay and PayPal know, the package was delivered and I walk away with $480 after fees and such.

It really is that simple... unfortunately. :-/

Superduper

Member (SA)
Here's what I want to know.... eBay used to have a policy of holding a new sellers funds until the (1) either the buyer leaves positive feedback or (2) 21 days have elapsed. How are these new zero feedback buyers extracting their sales proceeds so fast, then closing their accounts to start new ones? :huh: Has eBay changed their selling policies?

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
good question --

ebay would have to be totally insane to ever let new sellers have immediate access to any
buyer funds -- BEFORE the buyer feedback is completed

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
From eBay's website:

When you sell an item and the buyer pays through PayPal, the funds may be pending in your PayPal account for a period of time before the funds become available. This may be as little as 3 days after the buyer receives the item, but can be up to 21 days. This is to help encourage fast shipping and ensure customer satisfaction, and typically applies to sellers with a limited selling history or a Below Standard rating.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/questions/pending.html

I also discovered that eBay is including shipping costs when determining the Final Value Fee. :-O WTFFIT?!

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Fatdog said:
I also discovered that eBay is including shipping costs when determining the Final Value Fee. :-O WTFFIT?!

I noticed that too on one of my previous selling auctions, WTF is that **** :thumbsdown: . Pulling fees out of money specifically set aside for shipping only?!?!?!?! :annoyed: :thumbsdown:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Fatdog said:
From eBay's website:

When you sell an item and the buyer pays through PayPal, the funds may be pending in your PayPal account for a period of time before the funds become available. This may be as little as 3 days after the buyer receives the item, but can be up to 21 days. This is to help encourage fast shipping and ensure customer satisfaction, and typically applies to sellers with a limited selling history or a Below Standard rating.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/questions/pending.html

Yes, it's been that way for about 6 months now. They claim it's to discourage shipping gouging which hurts buyers but the truth is that it's to combat the circumvention of final value sales fees cuz the seller is merely going to pass the extra fees to the buyer so there is no way this helps the buyer. If anything, it guarantees the buyer gets gouged in every transaction only now, eBay does the gouging.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
redbenjoe said:
imacer --agree that the fed does have these 'powers'

but in my case -- these powerful inspectors --were a pack of lazy slobs who
chose to do NOTHING --

and when i was about to report them to the police --
they said - NO ---
the postal inspectors " are their own police "
Probably because the person you talked to commited the crime.

By the way, if you buy a new car or motorcycle, NEVER give your real address to the dealership or to the insurance agency. If you do, an employee of those companies might use that information to find out where you live, and steal the vehicle later. Happened to 3 people I know, before they caught the guy.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
jeff -- please keep us posted --as this concerns all/any of us ebay bidders -

my own PO people dropped the ball - totally - :thumbsdown:

but --anxious to learn if yours do anything to help you

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Sorry to hear about all this Jeff :sad: it really is crap, but as in our discussions on forums in past, you got to read feedback and watch scores. It will help in your future purchases ;-) Hope they do right for ya.... Good luck :thumbsup:

shane higgins

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
:sadno: :nonono: :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
Fatdog said:
Mrs. Fatdog said:
Seems like you guys should pay the extra whatever for signature verification. Don't mean to be snarky. But if I am shelling more than $50 to anyone, better darn well come with everything that the PO has to ensure that I get my package.
That still doesn't guarantee anything. The seller could just take the extra $2 and still send out a fake package.
oh yea im onto this mite start selling barbie dolls or star wars stuff way to get rich quick
warning dont buy any barbie of ebay for a while ok ira :lol: :yes:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
redbenjoe said:
joe --BELIEVE IT !!!

if this crook does only 4 X $250 boombox scams per week --
thats an EASY $50,000 per year -- clear profit :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

-------------------
then --he/she is prolly doing the same with old valuable car parts // collector watches // old rare radios
etc etc etc .....
how about $$$$$$$$$$$$ millions

But surely he will have his paypal/ebay account frozen and soon enough killed off after trying this once and having a person follow it up (which I'm sure, like JLF, they would). Which then means making a new ebay account and bank account. The sheer amount of personal information they'd constantly be having to make for new accounts would not be worth all the effort. I mean, I can see this working once, but doing this a lot seems like a shedload of work just making new accounts....... I don't know, makes little sense to me.

Rock On.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Gluecifer said:
But surely he will have his paypal/ebay account frozen and soon enough killed off after trying this once and having a person follow it up (which I'm sure, like JLF, they would). Which then means making a new ebay account and bank account. The sheer amount of personal information they'd constantly be having to make for new accounts would not be worth all the effort. I mean, I can see this working once, but doing this a lot seems like a shedload of work just making new accounts....... I don't know, makes little sense to me.

Rock On.
Well Rick you, I and the rest of Boomboxery would have a hard time getting in to something like this because we're not crooks. If your a crook the effort is worth it because they'd rather steal something from someone than work for it and unfortunately these scum are all around us we just don't really notice it until we get taken. :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.