If there's one box I can't stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
I heard spud's 550 at Joe's house awhile back. I remember it not being what I expected. Don't know if something was wrong with it or what. I still want one eventually. Hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on boxes these days. I have the money...just can't let it go. I must be getting old or something.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Growing up in the UK in the 80s meant that most of the high street stores were filled with crap mediocre Phillips boxes. I had a 8644 which was a massive box but with an all plastic handle and crap sound. Meanwhile my cousin had an M90 which I always envied. That traumatised me and I've hated Phillips boxes ever since, no street cred and dreary styling.
The exception being those 'Elephant' boxes like the ones JusCrusin was selling, they were exceptional and look fantastic.

Found a 550 in the wild last year and its a shock to see one for the first time. It's massive! Brave and unusual design.
I made a thread in collections called 'El Diablo in the wild' some time ago.

A good thread as long as no one takes it personally. The good thing about this hobby is the variety. There are so many styles of boxes to fall in love with........and plenty to hate!

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
blu_fuz said:
The ones I got to hear all seemed to have a real flat EQ sound.
Yup!

-GZ- said:
If he was dissin YOUR 550 then that wouldn't be cool...but everyone is allowed to speak their mind here.
Yup, yup!

Superduper said:
Then don't look at it. YOUR problem is solved.
Yup, yup, yup!

Personally, I think it sounds kinda flat because it's a mono box, that's all. It is, though, a dominating street box. I've seen them blow other radios flat-out away!

JustCruisin said:
JVC RC-550JW is a gorgeous box, just as beautiful as C-100F!
Can't deny that, bro. Very symmetrical, very square. Looks just like what it is: a lean, mean, fighting machine! Kinda like what I've always imagined the C-100F to be like. Maybe not the sound quality of other boomers, but the loudest mutha in the pack.

Gotta have that variety, man. Gotta have it!

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
We as collectors are so blessed that our taste in boxes is different from person to person.
How boring would that game be if everyone just wanted the same?

The 550 is a huge part of boombox history and so is the M90, the C-100F and even the GF-5757. Apparently all of those were successful back in the day - otherwise there would not be so many survivors left.

I personally like it because it is so different from most other mainstream-boxes. Juts my two cents.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Arguably the first boombox created for the street, the massive monophonic RC-550 with its roll-bars, 10” woofer, and carrying strap turned heads with its looks and sound. Introduced in 1978 by JVC/Victor and known as El Diablo悪魔 for its flashing red LEDs and thunderous sound, some of its notable design elements can be seen in a patent filed in March 1976: the large speaker, top-mounted tape deck keys, and rotating microphone.

View attachment 16395
View attachment 16396
View attachment 16397
View attachment 16398
View attachment 16399
View attachment 16400

systemaddict

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2014
East Coast England
Gotta admit the graffiti one looks cool :-) maybe.....just maybe.....it would grow on me if I seen and heard it in person :yes: I think it's the roll bars that put me off more than anything. I just don't see the point?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
those roll bars do a job , protecting the front of the radio if it get's knocked over which is easy to do being the radio is tall but not very thick .i have nothing against the rc 550 because i never paid over $10.00 so i can't complain , not the best sounding but you should find out what your getting if you throw a lot of money at it just like anything else.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
systemaddict said:
Gotta admit the graffiti one looks cool :-) maybe.....just maybe.....it would grow on me if I seen and heard it in person :yes: I think it's the roll bars that put me off more than anything. I just don't see the point?
They grew on me, when I first came to the site I'd see them, thought it was kinda lame, and boring. Then I think it was Ira, (redbenjoe) or somebody made two of the's into one. After seeing that, I dunno, it just made me start really liking them. I looked at them totally different.

systemaddict

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2014
East Coast England
JVC Floyd said:
those roll bars do a job , protecting the front of the radio if it get's knocked over which is easy to do being the radio is tall but not very thick .i have nothing against the rc 550 because i never paid over $10.00 so i can't complain , not the best sounding but you should find out what your getting if you throw a lot of money at it just like anything else.
I kind of guessed that's what the roll bars were for, still seems a bit of a strange design though :yes:

trippy1313 said:
They grew on me, when I first came to the site I'd see them, thought it was kinda lame, and boring. Then I think it was Ira, (redbenjoe) or somebody made two of the's into one. After seeing that, I dunno, it just made me start really liking them. I looked at them totally different.
I can see where your coming from here trippy :-)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Would look so much better custom-painted.......like metallic forest green, or metallic plum

Status
Not open for further replies.