First refoam project....PROJECT COMPLETE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
NICE speaker ! Too bad they only had one. $4 is a very big steal too.

B&W's tend to be power hungry and like a very neutral uncolored (flat sounding) amp.

Betcha she is a heavy sucker. Good score!

Just Googled images on it and found a pair form Canuck Audio Mart that went for some decent $ a few years back yet. YUP, 64 lbs is a beast.

Working?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
JustCruisin said:
I'm loving this thread! GZ you have enough speakers? Ha, I'm the same way..
Anyone know anything about these? They only had one cabinet at the thrift.. Has built in safety cutoff with red LED if you push it too far.. Woofer and radiator move some serious air!
image.jpg
image.jpg
i can can tell you this , those speakers cost some big money even at $4.00 for the one you could sell it for a profit.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
-GZ- said:
Thanks! Can't wait to see your progress too
Huge? So like these? vvvvvvv

Yeah I have a problem too ;)
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
DAMN, now that will piss off the neighbors!

I have a set of CV AT-15's I bought new in '88. Dual mids, single highs, 2 knob cross over. Like yours they need surrounds, but could also use cones. I was going to send them out, but now I'm :popcorn:

I power them with a 1200 watt Carver and together they break furniture :grim: :devil:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
duckman said:
NICE speaker ! Too bad they only had one. $4 is a very big steal too.

B&W's tend to be power hungry and like a very neutral uncolored (flat sounding) amp.

Betcha she is a heavy sucker. Good score!

Just Googled images on it and found a pair form Canuck Audio Mart that went for some decent $ a few years back yet. YUP, 64 lbs is a beast.

Working?
Yes, it works great and heavy! I had it hooked to the B channel on my Harmon/Kardon receiver, with my 2- 12" Cerwin Vegas on the A channel.. It really fills my shop with BASS.. :breakdance:

JVC Floyd said:
i can can tell you this , those speakers cost some big money even at $4.00 for the one you could sell it for a profit.
I checked out B&W speakers on eBay a few days after I bought it, they were in the thousands! Never heard of the brand, but I sure wish the other cabinet would've been there.. Even has the grille with cloth intact.. :-)

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
A British speaker with the same cabinetry problem as most of them. They had a weak finish on them and thus prone to ugly staining, as most idiots think because they are so sturdy they must be able to support this tropical plant of mine ! :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

I have had many Celestion, KEF, IMF, Monitor Audio, etc of the era and they all had a crappy lightweight finish on them that almost flaked off.

That said, they turn out decently with a special little trick, hydrogen peroxide on the stains with a Q-tip (may take a few apps) for about 30-60 seconds then wiped off with a wet cloth (after the varnish is removed with stripper) then a wipe down of the whole surface with the peroxide quickly to even the colour.

Here is what happened last night with my Cerwins. A 3" round stain in the middle of pic before and after:
Cerwin Vega 316R 004.JPG
Cerwin Vegar 316R 006.JPG

And a shot of the start of my project . Got them for $40 :-)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Was considering parting these out, but now going to give them the full refurb, but will take a while.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
duckman said:
A British speaker with the same cabinetry problem as most of them. They had a weak finish on them and thus prone to ugly staining, as most idiots think because they are so sturdy they must be able to support this tropical plant of mine ! :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

I have had many Celestion, KEF, IMF, Monitor Audio, etc of the era and they all had a crappy lightweight finish on them that almost flaked off.

That said, they turn out decently with a special little trick, hydrogen peroxide on the stains with a Q-tip (may take a few apps) for about 30-60 seconds then wiped off with a wet cloth (after the varnish is removed with stripper) then a wipe down of the whole surface with the peroxide quickly to even the colour.

Here is what happened last night with my Cerwins. A 3" round stain in the middle of pic before and after:
Cerwin Vega 316R 004.JPG
Cerwin Vegar 316R 006.JPG

And a shot of the start of my project . Got them for $40 :-)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Was considering parting these out, but now going to give them the full refurb, but will take a while.

My AT's are in horrendous shape, caps are farked, speakers are farked, but I am going to refurbish them at some point. Seeing this thread is motivating me :yes:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
My AT's are in horrendous shape, caps are farked, speakers are farked, but I am going to refurbish them at some point. Seeing this thread is motivating me :yes:

To anyone who has never heard the 1980's early 90's CV 15's are far and away the most CRUSHING, PUNISHING speaker's ever built. When paired with the right amp, they will systematically destroy all of your belongings. I broke the windows in my bedroom and living room at my parents house. With more than 3 inches of travel, they will quite literally pull the air out of your lungs and leave you gasping for air.

Damn, this thread had me fired up! I need to get mine working.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I used to have a red cerwin Vega tee shirt that said "life in order of importance food shelter and a pair of very loud speakers". I wore it out!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
duckman said:
So GZ, How did your re-foam come out?
....still searchin for the time. Both woofs are still sitting on top of the cabinets. Yeah I suck, I know. I'll git ur done soon.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
-GZ- said:
....still searchin for the time. Both woofs are still sitting on top of the cabinets. Yeah I suck, I know. I'll git ur done soon.
No sweat man, we probably all have way too many projects ! Mine are now residing in "project pile" during reno's

Looks like a winter thing now! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.