Finally broke down and bought a set: TENERGY 10,000 mAh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
When it comes to a boom box I had to ask myself what the biggest reason for having them was. The answer I came up with was portability. I have a hi-fi setup already in my home that's tethered to the wall.

The cost of replacing batteries has/is what stands in the way of most truly enjoying their hobby anywhere. This was a biggie for me.

All of us who have these batteries now get to fully enjoy the hobby to the fullest. It really changes how I feel about my radios. Plus you get to remember how heavy they get when they're loaded...lol

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I think the best part is you never have to buy batteries you never have to run out of batteries because you always have them.

I have a power inverter in my Jeep so I can charge mine even when the power's out.

Superduper

Member (SA)
A lot of people discount D batteries in favor of SLA batteries in their home builds. But the truth is that a set of NiMH batteries compares favorably to SLA because they have far greater available charge/discharge cycles and 10mAH is as good as or better than the typical SLA batteries used which is more like 5mAH or 7mAH. Sure, you can get far larger SLA batteries but at 10mAH or larger, they will be huge and weigh a ton.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The d cells must be awesome cuz when you look at some of the badass boxes that run off of d cells it's mind-blowing that they work at all.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Superduper said:
A lot of people discount D batteries in favor of SLA batteries in their home builds. But the truth is that a set of NiMH batteries compares favorably to SLA because they have far greater available charge/discharge cycles and 10mAH is as good as or better than the typical SLA batteries used which is more like 5mAH or 7mAH. Sure, you can get far larger SLA batteries but at 10mAH or larger, they will be huge and weigh a ton.
Nah, there is no way I’d make a DIY box and then power it by D cells that need to be removed every time they need charging.

A built in SLA battery can also be used while it’s being charged so no down time. :-)

Nimh D cells are perfect for powering vintage boxes but a single $20 SLA battery for DIY projects is much more cost effective and practical. :-)

I do plan on getting a set of Tenergy cells and charger for my GF series Sharps - members experience on this thread has got me motivated. :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Transistorized said:
When it comes to a boom box I had to ask myself what the biggest reason for having them was. The answer I came up with was portability. I have a hi-fi setup already in my home that's tethered to the wall.

The cost of replacing batteries has/is what stands in the way of most truly enjoying their hobby anywhere. This was a biggie for me.

All of us who have these batteries now get to fully enjoy the hobby to the fullest. It really changes how I feel about my radios. Plus you get to remember how heavy they get when they're loaded...lol
100% spot on! These rechargeables lift the weight off your shoulders (and place the weight....well, right on your shoulder LOLOL)

Once the fear of killing a set of $20-25 worth of D's is gone and the joy of ALWAYS having a set of fresh cells ready to go is there, your collection of radio's feels new again.

I recently picked up a radio from the repair shop. It's a Japanese only 100v, so in order for it to be repaired and tested, I had to BUY a set of D's to go in it. When I got it back and first used it, there was an odd feeling of dread mixed with fear mixed with light panic over the batteries in it. Like "Oh no, $25 worth of batteries, I need to save them for something good, not waste them playing my radio in the house". Just so odd.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Hahaha. Chris you sound like an infomercial.

When I get my "review/experience" should I just add it in here or start my own thread?

This seems to be the most complete thread about these batteries. I figured just add here?

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Well I'll put my first charge experience here.

I charged the first eight over night, then swapped them out with the second eight and let them sit all day while out and about. Then, just in case there was any residual drain in on day, I topped off the first eight right after pulling the second set off, so they'd have an even charge.

Day 1
So I loaded them in my 2nd Gen Trc-931, and played a tape mix I made on the lower deck at 50% volume for about an hour then shut it down, and brought it to work. Sounded great.

Got to work and played it in Aux/Phono for 9 straight hours at 50% volume. Sounded fantastic all day. Before I took it home, I played the cassette for a couple minutes. It sounded to me every so slightly slower speed. Crystal clear and to most people probably not noticeable, but I've listened to these tracks enough to tell it was a touch slower.

Got home and played the Mariners game on AM radio for about an hour at %25 volume before shutting it down and getting the kids to bed.

Day 2
Brought it back to work and had a bit of a scare, it wouldn't power on. Pulled a battery, it was at like 1.280v, thought that seemed okay, so first plugged into the wall, flipped the AC/DC switch, powered right up. Pulled ALL the batteries, checked every voltage, and wrote them down as seen in the following picture. All pretty close and good seemingly. So I figured my AC/DC switch was dirty, took the back off and deposit it, back together and good as new.

Played 3 hours Aux/Phono at 50%, then switched to the Mariners game on AM radio for 5 hours still at 50%. Before heading home, where I played Aux/phono for about 1 hour at 25%. Sounded great all day. Checked the tape and was really slow at the end. Kinda like Home Alone 2 when Kevin is using the Talkboy to change his voice.

Day 3
Today I brought to work along with my charger as I expected today they'd not hold on. I was right. I pulled all the batteries out again and checked each voltage. They were amazing almost dead on the same voltage aside from 2. I think I got about 1 hour of Aux/Phono at 50% before I dropped off. Unfortunately I was out if the shop for 20 minutes when I came back and it was pretty much dead, so I can't say for sure, but it was between an 50-70 minutes.

So we'll say an hour, and Wild Bill at the shop said, "your radio started sounding like garbage." So it must have been noticeable when they fell flat. I pulled them checked the voltages. Most around 1.1v, but one at 0.070 (yes, 0.070v). My charger didn't recognize it, but I let it sit for 5 minutes and it creeped back to 0.800v and it started charging! Thought I ruined it already. Phew.

Anyways. First charge experience was great! Better than I expected. ~18 hours of Aux and 1 hour of Cassette at 50% volume, 2 hours of 25% volume. Pretty fricken good to me!!!!

Here I wrote out what I did each day and the voltages. Keep in mind the voltages were take the following day before it was played. So day 1, voltage was taken in Day 2, but before starting Day 2 of music. So it's the reading of the settled voltage of Day 1's use. Still with me? Haha. And the Day 3 voltage was immediately after it died before the voltage settled.

Anyways. I'm impressed. Now I'm seeing how long it takes to charge. Only thing is I'm wondering if it's worth getting a second set to combat the down time... but right now I have 4 spares, so can rotate and charge, only having to wait for 8 batteries instead of 8 then 2. Well that's all I've got right now.

Snapchat-1506502849.jpg

Keep in mind my batteries are not labeled, to the voltages are not matched across the days, just random placement.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Well I lost track off exactly what time the were fully charged but I had put 8 on the charger at 10am, and I noticed just before 2pm they were "Done." So it's safe to say 5 hours or less from dead to done. I'll have to pay more attention and see if it's closer to 4 or not.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well it finally happened.....I left 8 of them in a radio too long, drained them completely, and now 2 of them are dead...….The charger refuses to even try charging them. The other 6 charge up to 1.36 like usual.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Isn't a Lasonic TRC-931 at 50% volume really loud? :-O I know my Sharp GF-777 at 50% can still be heard clearly almost two houses away.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
trippy1313 said:
It's pretty loud. Loud enough to fill our 7000 sq ft shop.
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking you were in your house with it at 50% volume, and the wife was thinking of ways to "off" you. :lol:

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Fatdog said:
It's pretty loud. Loud enough to fill our 7000 sq ft shop.
Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking you were in your house with it at 50% volume, and the wife was thinking of ways to "off" you. :lol:
Hahaha. No no. At work and outside at home. When wifey was around were the times I was less than 50%. Haha.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Reli said:
Well it finally happened.....I left 8 of them in a radio too long, drained them completely, and now 2 of them are dead...….The charger refuses to even try charging them. The other 6 charge up to 1.36 like usual.
You may be able to bring them back. There are several ways you can get them to accept a charge again. This would be the first way I would try.

Take one of the cells that will not charge and one good cell thats at 1.3 or better. Place the positive ends of the cells together and then use a piece of wire to join the negative ends together (parallel connection). Hold for 3 seconds. Measure the voltage of the dead cell. Keep doing this until the cell reaches 0.8 to 1.01 then pop in the charger.

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Hello. Looking to get some rechargeables but the reviews on Amazon vary wildly. Some saying tenergy are great and others saying they die and won’t recharge. Are these ones good? Was going to break down and drop the cash.

64E4146A-8EFD-4E2D-A975-3632E56B42A4.jpeg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yes those are good, and yes they die if you over-discharge them, that's why you need to use the trick Transistor describes in post 95. It worked for me!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
The experience one individual has over another will vary greatly with any rechargeable because of the many variables. Most notably the type of charger used and charging habits or lack thereof.

To get the best performance out of these, follow the guidelines in this post and you will LOVE your Tenergy rechargeable batteries for many years. The set you have pictured I have had for 5 years and they will still power my M90 and C100 for 10 to 14 hours flat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.