Boombox Museum / work in progress 1

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
-GZ- said:
Ummmm I have no idea what's going on here. Where is that? Is that the Holy Land? Can people go there to pray? Can I go there? I'm gonna need some more info asap!
-GZ- said:
But what's up with the naked guy in the background?
Your comment cracked me up! 😃😃😃😃

I noticed that naked guy too. For a second I thought to myself, "This guy is taking his love of boomboxes to another level!" But then I realized that it was "Boximedes," the Greek god of boomboxery. It's good luck to have him present in any boombox collection. In fact, legend says that if you rub his package you will be blessed with an untold amount of grails!!!!😃
image.jpg

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JustCruisin said:
:lol: I was too busy checkin out the elephant on recline, chillaxin in the lazyboy..:cool:
Ha. I showed my girl the pics and all she said was what's up with the naked dude. I said Wtf are you talkin about!? Oh yeah...there is a naked guy in there.

There's some boomers in there I've never seen before. Still waiting for some info.

bill

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Vancouver
Reminds me of when I had the privilege of seeing James67s collection, I think you guys must be related

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
thats one of the very few all pro // all quality collections on earth
with such an awesome display :clap: :hooray: :rock: :bow: :bow: :drool:

dibs

howie1976

Member (SA)
Nov 14, 2014
SoCal
JustCruisin said:
:lol: "Boximedes" needs a blaster photoshopped on his shoulder!
Yeah I thought that would of looked really cool but I don't have the program to make that happen. Hope one of you out there can make that happen.

>StereoPhonic<

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
Finland
Wwwwoooooooooow oh my god! Do you own a retail store and keep your collection there?????

Thanks! But I do not own a retail store :-) Just enough old factory space to store and put up a small private exhibition of my collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

>StereoPhonic<

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
Finland
Just when I think I've seen it all here on Boomboxery, here comes another jaw dropping post!!! Speechless!!!

Actually I got a few questions:

How long have you been collecting?
How many do you have total?
Where is your collection located?
Is it open to the public?
What do the letters spell out in your display?

Thanks man! Really nice to hear that you guys like the collection.

Actually I have been actively collecting only for 5 years now. But I started casually pick up cheap radios along with other collectables from fleas and second hand stores in late 90's. Getting in touch with real "ghetto blasters" begun accidentally in year 2001 with Elta Masterblaster which I found from a pawn shop. Now I probably have way over 200 boomboxes including mono boxes. I have not counted or listed them since 2013 :-) Collection is in Finland and it is only open to friends and some fellow collectors for now.

I hope that I could make the collection available for the public (among with other vintage electronics and collectables) in the near future. Perhaps in 2-4 years). When a right space is found and and proper "business plan" to finance the project has been made to make sure that I will not make a huge loss with the it :-) Surely it will need a lot of planning and designing to make it worth the effort. But I do believe it is worth a try. I think there is not yet an uniformed collection of boomboxes permanently displayed for the public in any place of the world? I mean a museum, not just an exhibition. Or is there?

Letters are just random letters from old neon signs. Used them just to give a urban outdoors twist for the show. I have already GF, RT, RX, VZ, RK among some other, but they could not be fitted in yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystic Traveller

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2014
St. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB
>StereoPhonic< said:
I think there is not yet an uniformed collection of boomboxes permanently displayed for the public in any place of the world? I mean a museum, not just an exhibition. Or is there?
Just great! :-) Keep up!

Museum - I haven't heard of yet.
One of my pals in hobby here in St. Petersburg owns 500+ of bbx stuff, one of the biggest collections in Russia
to my knowledge,
he's been trying to create a museum as well but to no avail so far.

Michiel

Member (SA)
Dec 29, 2012
Netherlands
What a display! Superb! One tip tho; make sure you have a theme in your collection. Visitors of a museum like to learn something from visiting a museum. A short exhibition will work without a theme, but a long term museum won't. The boxes are beautiful and the display is awesome, but it's lacking a clear story right now imo. I'm working in the museum business.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Amazing, truly spectacular display. I have never seen anything like this level of quality or amount.

>StereoPhonic<

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
Finland
LOST and now FOUND!
Very complete collection even including a silver 550!!
I'm lovin' the inclusion for the often overlooked Hitachi TRK-9140 x 2! :-)

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpg
Was there an M90 in this collection somewhere or are the big JVCs in the other warehouse? :-)

Exactly: lost & found :-) I totally agree, TRK-9140 is great quality box, but sadly a bit underrated. It probably weights more than any other box concerning weight-size ratio.

And yes there is a M90 in the third pic: between GF-9000 and SCR-2015. Could not yet find a throne for the King :-) I certainly should get more shelves to display all the most important units on a proper spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>StereoPhonic<

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
Finland
Your comment cracked me up! 😃😃😃😃

I noticed that naked guy too. For a second I thought to myself, "This guy is taking his love of boomboxes to another level!" But then I realized that it was "Boximedes," the Greek god of Boomboxery. It's good luck to have him present in any boombox collection. In fact, legend says that if you rub his package you will be blessed with an untold amount of grails!!!!😃
{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpg

😃😃😃 Modern Boximedes, Hertzeus, Microphonicus, Potentiometer and some lesser bigwigs of the ancient are blessing those who rub their woofers and tickle their tweeters :-)

>StereoPhonic<

Member (SA)
Jan 24, 2012
Finland
Reminds me of when I had the privilege of seeing James67s collection, I think you guys must be related

That would be great! 😊 I have seen that there are great collectors with huge and awesome collections all around within the BBX society. As everybody knows, a challenging thing about collecting boomboxes is that even a small or medium-size collection still needs a lot of space and effort to get the display setup work nicely. Mostly without contribution from girlfriends and wifes :-)