Aiwa EXOS-9 Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
SLO said:
My Exos is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday, I can't wait to test this thing out...
I'm looking forward to your review SLO :-D ...even if it sounds amazing...it's still very "un-appealing" to my eyes...BUT it can be made to look a lot better...sound is one thing...looks is another :-P

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
I was very excited that someone bought back the Aiwa brand and it's good that it's an apparently good sounding box. Unfortunately the looks are a let down so I won't be buying this model, I feel they could have used more imagination when designing the box. I'm looking forward to if and when they release other products. I'm hoping it's not 'one and done' .

Martin123

Member (SA)
Dec 12, 2015
THE GOLDEN STATE
West Up Slo,
If you decide to keep this unit. Are you gonna cutomize it? I have two units but I don't have the creativity and courage like Hardmen :( Some people find the M90 "un-appealing"...

4 Fingers Up 2 Twisted in the Middle!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Yea the looks are a drawback for me too :thumbsdown: I do have a few ideas for making it look a little more appealing to my taste if I decide to keep it. hardmen did some great modifications to his. But just like anything, some will like one thing, others won't. I really just want to hear it for myself and go from there.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Just waiting a little while, and I upload a link of Breaking battle video, thats I make today... ...with Aiwa making some noise on a Metro Station.

Just a while...

Cheers.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Nice choice of blaster!! Just set it down in the corner and let the music and dancing be the focus of attention. Plus no blingy box to attract the attention of thieves.

I wish you could do that sort of thing around here these days. Come to think of it, I remember getting 'moved along' even back in the 80s when doing this stuff!

James..... :-)

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
So today was the day. I received the Aiwa Exos earlier. Unboxed it, and as I pulled out the big black box, at first sight, I cant lie...I was already having thoughts of returning it just based on its appearance alone. :-/ Its just not MY personal taste as far as looks go. I love great sound, but I also LOVE appearance just as much. LED's, VU meters, lights, chrome accents etc. What can I say, Im stuck in the 80's. But that wouldnt be fair. I needed to hear this thing.

Anyways after taking it into my boom room where I listen to all of my boomboxes on the regular, and after experimenting with some hard hitting bass tracks, I must say, WOWWW :jawdrop: this thing pumps out some IMPRESSIVE Bass. I don't want to repeat whats already been said about the Exos by Riker,hardmen, and many reviews all over the internet but the sound is very impressive. It pounds clean and hard to heavy bass songs even when maxed out. I didnt hear any distortion at max volume. My best sounding boombox is my M90, but I have to admit, the Exos puts out some really killer bass compared to any one of my boxes, the highs are crisp too, so its a well balanced sound.

Im far from a hardcore audiophile, but for the money, it puts out some pretty dam impressive sound from both the bluetooth and through the auxiliary input. I will have to do some cosmetic changes in the future in order to make it "pop" and to fit my personal style and taste a little more. To me, its worth the $$$ for the sound that comes out of this thing. I never thought I'd buy something "new and modern" and I know its not a boombox, and not "old school", but its well worth a listen for sure, and if you dont like it, you can ship it back at Aiwa's expense, and get a full refund. So theres really nothin to lose if your curious like I was. Just wanted to share my thoughts on this unit with you guys and gals, hope it helps, CHEERS!
View attachment 25089

Riker already posted plenty of size comparison photos, but heres one more after the grill was removed.View attachment 25090

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Bang for buck, it must be the best Bluetooth speaker out there. Having a removable/replaceable & upgradable battery certainly makes it unique.

Looking forward to seeing the Aiwa updated to 80s specs! :-)
Yea I love the classic looks of my Bluetooth Lasonic 931's, but man this E9 kills them in the sound department, hands down no comparison.

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Slo.

In mine, I use that Personal Preset below.

CAM01395.jpg

Increase mids and highs for outdoors, flat the bass (and STILL pumping hard) and save some battery.

As I said before, the sound comes through over the "much clean" looks, but the clean looks, it's a "window" for customizations.

I'm glad you like the sound and... ...Welcome to the club!!

Cheers.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I agree that it just doesn't have the looks, but the 'want' is strong!

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
hardmen said:
Slo.
In mine, I use that Personal Preset below.
CAM01395.jpg
Increase mids and highs for outdoors, flat the bass (and STILL pumping hard) and save some battery.
As I said before, the sound comes through over the "much clean" looks, but the clean looks, it's a "window" for customizations.
I'm glad you like the sound and... ...Welcome to the club!!
Cheers.
Thanks Mauricio, I listened to the 4 EQ presets, but prefer a custom setting as well. And yes its a blank canvas with a lot of room for customizing the looks. And as JJ said, the upgraded battery would be good
for more play time for sure. Not sure if Mauricio has one, but with all the street time his gets, it would be great for him ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.