Yellow M90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Superduper said:
I suppose it's possible that M90's spend all their time basking in the sun, while M70's are all kept indoors. However, in my very limited experience, it's more plausible and likely to be the other way around.

That being said, I challenge anyone to produce one single M70 example with yellowed meters. No? Oh OK, well maybe they need to spend more time in the sun. How about just partly faded.... like orangish yellow? No?

Look, anyone that has owned a yellow metered M90 can clearly see that the meters do not look like a faded red. It's YELLOW yellow. Clearly original.

As for speakers, once again, the M90 woofers start out with blue paper cones.... just like the M70. That is where the similarity ends. The M90 woofers then are treated by laminating a layer of urethane (plastic) OVER the outside. Remove the speakers and then you will see the plastic coating. You can wipe them down with water and the water rolls right off. Cleaning them is easy because of that. However, the backside is standard paper with NO coating hence the reason they all look the same from the backside. Now, all I can tell you is that I have seen blue ones and I have seen dark gray ones, and I have seen very light blue/gray ones. I have had over a dozen M90's pass through my hands and in my opinion, there are 2 colors used in the lamination.....

(1) clear urethane which allows the blue to show through
(2) dark gray which makes the speakers look almost black when viewed through the grill.

The very light gray ones and the very light blue ones are most likely faded from the original look (as above).

As for the meters.... anyone with yellow meters who can't live with them...
I can sell you a set of RED ones. :w00t:
Open your wallets and PM PM PM!!!!! :-D :lol: :yes: :thumbsup:
I agree 100%. Now Norm in your opinion are the yellow meters rarer than the Red? I seem to see more red that's why I ask :-)

Bad Boy Bill

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Ask and you shall receive!

I may have owned the ONLY faded VU meter Victor M70!!!!!!

Faded out to an almost invisible appearance. :hmmm: Not yellow.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
Norm makes an excellent point which I just proved correct with my own research. I have 5 M70 variations. All 5 have VU meters with different degrees of fading. One is even faded so bad it can barely be seen...but all of them are different shades of RED. None of them are yellow. Even the one that can barely be seen is kind of tranparent red. Also none are faded evenly or uniform or in a flat pattern. They have a naturally faded look to them. So in closing I will side with the wisdom and intelligence of my friend Norm...Max I have a whole case of Similac for ya...jk... :-D

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
blu_fuz said:
Ask and you shall receive!

I may have owned the ONLY faded VU meter Victor M70!!!!!!

Faded out to an almost invisible appearance. :hmmm: Not yellow.
[ Image ]

Joe my Victor M70 is exactly the same...but still red not yellow.

mrp32

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2010
mmm never really noticed before, but my M70 has virtually no red marking left you can just make what was there, this is going to annoy me now, thanks :-/

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
I'm not sure what to make of this whole topic.
Also, I'm not sure if the fading on M70s is a backup for ruling out the M90-fading-theory 'cause they might have used different colors/materials which could make a big difference. I don't think it is as easy as blue always fades like this, red always fades like that.
I'll try to take some pictures of mine asap - one of the speakers is blue, the other not really. I'm not entirely sure about the VUs right now.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Now what is causing the milky white/gray appearance of the JVC M90 blue cone paper woofer?

Over time if the coating is not good enough, it can degrade and cause it to "blush," or have a cloudy white haze.

Paper is very porous and I am pretty sure they might have used a sealer coating before they used a urethane top coat over it. I believe the polymer degradation over time is the real cause of losing the clarity of the coating that gives the haze. If it is exposed direct sunlight then there are more chances of UV degradation of this coating and it will not be always uniform.

JVC speaker manufacturers might have improved the urethane coating on newer M90s that still stays clear without haze. This is why we have seen many of them with the blue cones. If you check the back side of the cones they all are blue in color, So two different speaker coatings went on these speakers and one version was the better coating.

This is my theory :yes: :yes:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
BoomboxLover48 said:
Now what is causing the milky white/gray appearance of the JVC M90 blue cone paper woofer?

Over time if the coating is not good enough, it can degrade and cause it to "blush," or have a cloudy white haze.

Paper is very porous and I am pretty sure they might have used a sealer coating before they used a urethane top coat over it. I believe the polymer degradation over time is the real cause of losing the clarity of the coating that gives the haze. If it is exposed direct sunlight then there are more chances of UV degradation of this coating and it will not be always uniform.

JVC speaker manufacturers might have improved the urethane coating on newer M90s that still stays clear without haze. This is why we have seen many of them with the blue cones. If you check teh back side of the cones they all are blue in color, So two different speaker coatings went on these speakers and one version was the better coating.

This is my thoery :yes: :yes:

... :lol: :weed: :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.