Where in the USA would you buy a house? (Affordable!)

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
So my wife and I are thinking of pulling the plug on Arizona and relocating to the southeast in maybe the next 3-5 years. We are both originally from NY and left there in 2001. Some states that we are looking at are Tennessee, Kentucky, the Carolinas and maybe Ohio. We want to cash out and buy a home mortgage free in the 150-250k range and on acreage with a small town to go to. What do you guys think? Pitch me your best "Move over to my neck of the woods" speech! We don't have kids to worry about with schools. Just her and I. Prefer brick Tudor style homes but something with brick and a basement would be best. I would like to have my own Bass-ment with space for my father in law who's aging and would come live with us. I would most likely start another electrical business or work for the city at the new destination. Who knows... If I win the Publishers Clearing house sweepstakes, I may just not need to work!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Depends how big of a city you want for employment and entertainment opportunities. But my favorite parts of the South are mostly in NC/VA, including Asheville and Hendersonville in NC, and Lynchburg and Coeburn in VA. For TN go for Chattanooga for sure. Nashville, eh there are a couple cool parts of it, but avoid Memphis IMO. Kentucky and Ohio? No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MesaAZGuy

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
There are parts of Nashville (Davidson County) where you can find Tudor style homes, but you would be looking at $500,000+ with nice yards but no acreage. Your $250,000 top range limits you to Nashville's surrounding counties (except Williamson County), and even then, I doubt you would get a nice home that included acreage.

Tennessee has lots of beautiful areas - more and more celebrities are moving here. We don't have an income tax, but Tennessee has the highest average combined state and local sales tax rate - of all States - at (9.53 percent). It's 9.75% where I am.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
You're still lucky. Here in Cali I pay 8.75% sales tax PLUS state income tax, lol.
The best option is to live on the WA side of the WA/OR border. There's no income tax in WA, and no sales tax in OR.

Last edited:

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
I looked at WA and the prices are still up there. We have a close friend who left NYC a couple years ago and moved to Loudon, TN. He loves it there. Was a former NYPD. I haven't been to the southeast since I used to drive OTR in '93. Yep, i was a baby faced trucker! Still have my CDL. Unfortunately since the doc put me on a Bi-pap machine a few years ago, I need to get a physical every year. I no longer need the machine but don't know how to tell the DMV that. Anywho, we miss the greenery. I hate humidity but as I get older I hate 110-115º heat even if its dry. Arizona is still a beautiful place to be and our house really skyrocketed in value which is why I am thinking we could sell and be mortgage free somewhere else. We also miss a good storm every now and then! All we get are massive dust storms followed by a spot of rain. Just enough to piss you off as the dirt gets glued down to everything.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah man, the West is just gonna get hotter and hotter every year, and more forest fires too.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well you called that one. I've been covered in smoke for days now.
Yep, thinking of leaving for sure. It's not going to get any better. The upper Midwest such as Michigan is probably the safest part of the country for people to put roots down. The rest of the country is going to keep getting battered with more and more hurricanes, floods, droughts, fires, ice storms, tornados, earthquakes, and rising sea levels (although that last one is a much longer term thing).

Last edited: