VZ-3500 - cassettedeck woes :-(

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Actually, I was talking about the washer on the capstan shaft in this pic.
Usually they're plastic but this looks like it might be metal.
The capstan should have a small amount of play (in and out) but if there's too much movement, that could give you a warbly sound.
vz3500-3.jpg

Reactions: floyd

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
The capstan should have a small amount of play (in and out) but if there's too much movement, that could give you a warbly sound.
View attachment 56064
Exactly if there's no end play in the shaft it will rub all the time and wear out the parts but anyway I'll look and see if I have one of those I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
You can also put a very thin rubber o-ring there at the end of the day it's not the same I know that.
I never thought of that but whatever works.
I've made a few out of a plastic milk gallon container.
They didn't look great but they went on the shaft nice and tight and kept any oil from getting onto the tape and pinch roller which, I've always assumed, is their job.
I drill the right size hole then cut around it either by trying to cut an actual circle (which is tough at that size) or cut a square, then cut the corners, then cut those corners till it almost looks like a circle.
Luckily no one really looks in there to notice what it looks like, lol.

Notwister

Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
Okay let me check this out, sounds like an avenue that is worthwhile to investigate.
I can't do anything about the cracked shaft unfortunately.

But I did see a somewhat complete 3500 cassettedeck chassis on eBay.
It might be something I would look into.

I've also ordered an idler wheel from AliExpress. It should fit.
Price including shipping was €3. Not €20 as on eBay.
Like I said those 'rubber' sellers on eBay with their extortionate prices.

BB

Notwister

Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
I need to do some more testing but it seems I found the culprit.
When I move the 'carriage' (plastic part) with the pinch roller (rubber wheel) slightly upwards it plays well.
It is just a tiny bit and a bit skewed as well. I'm not even moving it a millimeter, very small amount.

Not being an expert, this would point me in the direction of the pinch roller.
Perhaps it needs to be replaced?
I don't see any method in this world of plastic to make the 'pulley' advance a bit more upwards.
It is all controlled by a big spring. Something you don't really want to mess with I think.

Are my thoughts worthwhile or do you think it's something else?

BB

Attachments

Notwister

Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
Oh yeah, tried playing with the capstan but no luck.
The only luck i've had is by moving the pinch roller assembly ever so slightly upwards.

BB

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
You could need a new pinch roller.
Have you cleaned that one?
I remove the pinch roller assembly, give the tire a light sanding with a light grit sand paper (150/220) then wash it with a toothbrush and soap & water.
I let it dry completely before reinstalling it.
It should be fairly soft.
If you see any cracking or if it feels firm or hard, I'd replace it.
It looks like a torsion spring on that assembly.
You can work those either way to put more or less tension on it.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
View attachment 56064
That is actually a seal .... Lubricant seal.
It's always a soft plastic ring that slides easily over the capstan and function like an oil seal.
It is a low-density polyethylene washer.

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
That is actually a seal .... Lubricant seal.
It's always a soft plastic ring that slides easily over the capstan and function like an oil seal.
It is a low-density polyethylene washer.
Of course, which is what I posted in #24, they keep the oil (lubricant) from getting on the pinch roller and tape.
Most of the ones I've dealt with slid off and back on snuggly.
My assumption for the snugness is otherwise they'd want to walk/slide off of the shaft especially during rew and ff since the pinch roller isn't there to stop it.
If you look at the OP's pic at the top of this page (it's my post), it looks like the one on his might actually be a metal washer that might be walking/sliding on the shaft which is why I commented on it.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Oh yeah, tried playing with the capstan but no luck.
The only luck i've had is by moving the pinch roller assembly ever so slightly upwards.

BB
Sure enough the pinch roller has hardened a little and needs replacement. The pinch roller spring never gets weak, the diameter if the rubber roller will reduce either by hardening of rubber or wear on it. Its pretty easy to get that size pinch roller. Measure the diameter of it and the hole diameter also. Pretty easy to replace it also. You have to remove the C clip carefully without losing it. I've lost many of those C clips and bought a set of it with different sizes. keep one finger on the C clip when you are removing it so that it won't fly away.
Then the whole pinch roller assembly will come out. You might have to gently tap the center axle of it from the side not facing out resting on a soft wood panel. That axle will come out and then you can slide the new pinch roller to it.

Notwister

Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
What i've done is ordered a 13mm diameter pinch roller from my friends at AliExpress.
The diameter of the one in mine is 12,3mm.
13mm should be about the spot I hit when lifting the pinch roller carriage.
It does indeed look like the pinch roller has somehow lost 'mass' in diameter.
That explains why it sounds OK when i gently lift the carriage a bit when running.

Will keep you updated on the process.
Being AliExpress it will likely take 15 days before all arrives.

Bert

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
hi - Ive a few VZ-3500's and at least one had a dried out, hard and squeaky pinch roller. I replaced the roller and it was fixed.

I bought a bag of wheels that work perfectly, it turned out to be the same size as multiple other sharp models - though gmail search isnt helping me confirm what size i bought!

If the wheel's dont show up or dont work, PM me and I'll gladly post you one

The 3500/3510 is great - very servicable - do stick with it. I cant see in your pics which wheel is cracked btw.

iain

PS i would check btw the rest of the mechanism rotates freely. try rotating it by pulling a belt - do any of the other belts slip?