Toshiba bombeat 8900-s help

technikill

Hey all, new to the forum because I'm seeking some help. I have a Toshiba bombeat 8900-s that is having issues. I got a suitable 12v adapter to power it on, and it worked for a short period of time. Was on FM radio but was pretty quiet. I tried adjusting the volume and it made a fuzzy noise while increasing volume. I had to fiddle with the knob for the volume to work. After about 3 minutes it went silent. The LEDs are still pulsing as if it was playing sound. I have soldering experience so I thought, maybe I can open it up and clean up the boards, check for loose connections, or replace capacitors. The back of it just won't budge so I didn't want to try and force it open and now I'm kinda just stuck. Any advice or tips on what I can do to get it working?? Any info is appreciated, Thank you

floyd

Boomus Fidelis
Hey all, new to the forum because I'm seeking some help. I have a Toshiba bombeat 8900-s that is having issues. I got a suitable 12v adapter to power it on, and it worked for a short period of time. Was on FM radio but was pretty quiet. I tried adjusting the volume and it made a fuzzy noise while increasing volume. I had to fiddle with the knob for the volume to work. After about 3 minutes it went silent. The LEDs are still pulsing as if it was playing sound. I have soldering experience so I thought, maybe I can open it up and clean up the boards, check for loose connections, or replace capacitors. The back of it just won't budge so I didn't want to try and force it open and now I'm kinda just stuck. Any advice or tips on what I can do to get it working?? Any info is appreciated, Thank you
Have you looked for screws inside the battery compartment?.

technikill

Yes I managed to get the front off just a Lil while ago very carefully removing the front. I snapped pictures. I didn't see any capacitors leaking, everything seemed as it should except for A LOT of what I'm assuming is hot glue on the board near the right speaker? Wondering if this is normal? It's covering easy 14-15 soldered components.
Maybe I missed something lol

Attachments

• 20240915_165827.jpg
    20240915_165827.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240915_165807.jpg
    20240915_165807.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240915_165751.jpg
    20240915_165751.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240915_165726.jpg
    20240915_165726.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 8

technikill

Yes I managed to get the front off just a Lil while ago very carefully removing the front. I snapped pictures. I didn't see any capacitors leaking, everything seemed as it should except for A LOT of what I'm assuming is hot glue on the board near the right speaker? Wondering if this is normal? It's covering easy 14-15 soldered components.
Maybe I missed something lol
i purchased a dual pack of Deoxit D-5/F-5, am going to use that to clean up the knobs/contacts. Hoping for more suggestions/advice/diagnosis.

Fatdog

Staff member
Carefully spray the Deoxit on the potentiometers and switches to try and get sound back. Also spray the headphone jack, if present, and work the jack by plugging/unplugging appropriate headphones.

Reactions: technikill

technikill

Carefully spray the Deoxit on the potentiometers and switches to try and get sound back. Also spray the headphone jack, if present, and work the jack by plugging/unplugging appropriate headphones.
Do you know if Toshiba typically used hot glue for components on their main pcbs? It looks kinda amateurish, and hoping that's not the cause of my problems.

technikill

Update: Deoxit spray came in today. I carefully sprayed each section of knobs, turned them back and forth while it sat on there and dried. Did absolutely nothing. I've determined that its definitely receiving a signal, whether its on FM, and i tested with AUX. The leds are accurately depicting the signals volume, but still no sound from the speakers. ANYONE have any insight to share on what i could possibly do? or is it just too far gone for intermediate hands to fix. It's sooo frustrating because it worked when i initially plugged it in for a few minutes!!! maybe it was just its death rattle before finally kicking the bucket? thanks guys

Superduper

Staff member
You need to clean the record bar. That is a multi-ganged switch that all audio signals travel through. If you don’t know how to do that, search the archives, lots of discussions about that already.