Tape stops suddenly after pressing play.

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Hello all, hope you're having a good weekend.
I'm stuck with an issue on a Sanyo M-X720. I put new belts (3) on the cassette assembly and put this unit back together and as the thread title says, when I press "play" the unit will function for a short time then unexpectedly stop out of nowhere. Check out the video.
Thank you for your time.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
At a guess that's the auto stop kickin in or could be the latch for play. Either way its a good thing. Try with a tape in place then see if you can find the latch.

Tubejunkie

Member (SA)
May 7, 2020
Miami
Thank you all for your help! :rock: Turns out the problem is a badly deteriorating idler tire that spins the "counter assy". If you look at the video closely, you'll see that the counter assy (sorry, don't know the real name for it) moves in "spurts" I'll post a better video later on today.

• Love
Reactions: Radio raheem

fyj2972

Member (SA)
Nov 29, 2011
california, usa
If my memory still serves me right. I saw that same mechanism in a SANYO C7.
That baby had random shut off problem, After replaced the felt on take up spindle, No more shut off and take up torque went back to normal.

This is that bad guy's picture. Yeah , It was a tough job to work on idler and take up wheel. Especially my eyes are not good as 15 years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Tubejunkie

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
C7 c9 one of the hardest boxes to do, hats off to you Frank lad:bow:

i don't know anybody else who has successfully repaired one of these :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tubejunkie