Speaker problem when trying to record with Philips D8733 Boombox

Kanye_East

May 8, 2024
London
Hi, trying to help my uncle with his Phillips boombox, basically the both speaker sounds fine when playing radio and tape audio but when he tries to record from the boombox itself and then plays the tape deck back the right side speaker showcases weak, static and scratchy audio compared to the left. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this??

I have attached a video of the problem for anyone to get a better understanding of what I mean.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
It could be a dirty record bar switch . this switch is engaged when you press record. This switch is hard to lubricate because it's enclosed and the internal parts cannot be cleaned or lubricated without disassembling it. You could try to lube it with some deoxit electronic parts cleaner or some fader lube . either way you have to open up the radio to do this.
Another cause would be a dirty record input level control if it has one.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
It could be a dirty record bar switch . this switch is engaged when you press record. This switch is hard to lubricate because it's enclosed and the internal parts cannot be cleaned or lubricated without disassembling it. You could try to lube it with some deoxit electronic parts cleaner or some fader lube . either way you have to open up the radio to do this.
Another cause would be a dirty record input level control if it has one.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
That's a weird fault, i must have owned about 10x D8734's over the years and none had that fault, i still own one now, and all that is wrong with it is the usual melted gear cogs on the decks, but they are too expensive for me to care, i haven't used it for about 2 years, and when i do i just use my bluetooth module through Aux, as for that fault, i would spray the band selector switch inside with switch cleaner, and the function buttons, also the record bar, if its got one, i'm not sure though, these might me electronic rec instead of Rec Bar

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
It has a record bar
Ahh right, i wasn't sure, i haven't had one apart in years. i do remember the decks went dead on one of mine years ago, and it was down to a resistor on the bottom board, you can actually see it when you take the back off, it's right there.. and one of them the record died and that was a burned out transistor. and i did watch a video a few years ago on Youtube of one having weak take up, and it turned out the take up motors were worn out. i've always found that if the gear cogs didn't melt, these decks would just run forever..