Silver ST858 Shin-Shirasuna tape mech – solved

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
I had issues with the tape deck of Silver ST 858. It would rewind and forward but in play mode, the spindle didn't turn although the capstan was running fine. I found at least two posts from forum members with similar problems but they didn't post the solution. To save other members the hour I stared into the mechanism to find the error, here is the simple solution.

You have to disassemble the box so that you can reach the front of the tape mech. there is a white wheel mounted on a gold coloured metal arm that should move when pushed by a plastic arm when pressing play. The grease under the gold coloured metal part dried up, locking that part to the metal plate underneath as if it was glued on. Simply pry the gold coloured metal arm loose, add new grease and that's it!

See picture with arrows below.

SilverST858_tapemechanism.jpg

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
Now as you mention it: See the brown magnet attached to the counter wheel? The counter is linked to the auto stop solenoid. So if you have problems with the auto stop engaging all the time, check the counter belt. Another solution I found on this great forum btw. :thumbsup:

Yes, very unusual and a bit sophisticated, like the whole boombox. I have mostly cheap boxes, this one is on another level.