Sharp VZ - motor constantly running, tape heads stuck up/ bounce issue. Rec/PB bar?

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi!

video 1

video 2

I've a couple of lovely lovely Sharp VZ3500's. So far I've found these much easier to fix up than the VZ3000, to start with most areas are actually accessible. I have a list of things I've fixed with these so far!

But my nicest one has suddenly developed a tape deck fault and I am stuck. I am fairly sure I caused it by trying out one of those crappy bluetooth cassette adaptors, the ones that run the motor constantly while contacting the head. Next time i played music, I have this issue. I'm totally stuck, if anyone has seen this or can advise how to fix it, please help !

When i engage play on the cassette deck, the motor doesnt move. When I engage rewind, nothing. But when I engage fast forward, the motor switches on and stays on, and the heads bounce up and down for 5 or 20 seconds. I have to switch off the deck to 'reset' it.

I can take the deck apart. The belts seem fine and I've changed them all, with no change. I note at the rear of the deck is a switch, actuated by a 90degree lever thats in turn moved by switch 3" further away into the deck (SW701 I think, Rec/PB on the diagram.

I can hold that bar to one side with my hand, to actuate the switch in the cassette mech. Now the play, rewind and fast forward seem to work (though the motor keeps on running all the time). But when the deck is mounted in the VZ, the heads bounce and play/ rewind dont work.

I've a feeling I've seen a fault with the motor running all the time before, but never with this head bounce issue.

Questions!

Has anyone seen this kind of issue before? Is it a problem with that SW701 rec/pb selector bar/ switch, or the tape deck? What do I do now, and how can i test/ fix this? Anything i can do to save it! I'm hoping these decks are v similar to other sharps.

Separately, I noted one wheel can easily be removed from the front of the deck, a wheel to the right with a tyre round it. I'm suspecting that area also as I also found a tiny loose spring in that area.. (104-18, possibly 104-19, or 104-12 in the attached pic) - which I also need fix.

2 videos linked below. I can provide better images if anyone can please help!

video 1

video 2

grabs from the Sharp VX 3500 service manual:

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 21.26.57.png

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 21.23.26.png

thank you for any help

Iain

:

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
it probably a fault with the latch for the heads, proximity switches may need adjustment.

iainjh

Member (SA)
May 5, 2020
Hi!

what are proximity switches? sorry I dont know what those will look like or how to adjust. I did find 3 switches buried in the mechanism, no idea how to get to them yet - listed as:

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 23.55.26.png

sw901,902,903Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 23.52.55.png

again, thanks for pointers, i need carry on digging. Any help welcome! thank you!