Sharp VZ-3000 Side B audio issue

gbd1010

May 12, 2020
Barcelona
Hello,

I'm looking for advice for an issue I'm having with a Sharp VZ-3000e that I picked up a few months ago. It was in a pretty sorry shape when I got it, but (with limited ability) I've managed to get it almost fully working.

However, despite all the great advice on the forum, I have been unable to resolve what I'm hoping is the last issue which occurs when playing 'side B' of records and is as follows...

~ Side B: 95% of the time there is no audio output and the stylus simply drags quickly across the surface of the record. The other 5% of the time, it plays perfectly.

I've already replaced the relay switch '221D012' which from what I've read is the source of a lot of muting problems, but this had no effect on resolving this issue (assuming I installed the new chip properly). Also, from what I understand, this muting relay/switch, if not working properly, would not cause the stylus to drag across the record surface...it would just mute the output?

Please note that the 6 control wires that feed into the side B cartridge were severed when I purchased the item and I have resoldered them. They are very fine wires and I'm hoping that this repair was successful and is not the cause of my current issue. (I'm not sure how I can test them for good connections).

Can anyone recommend anything else I can test/check. Please note that while I do have the service manual/electronic diagrams and a multimeter, I have a fairly limited skillset!!

Thank you.

Loveitload

Aug 21, 2023
Melbourne Australia
I had an issue with the b side stylus dragging across the record and it was a mechanical issue . I had re soldered a Broken red wire to the cartridge pin and when I put it back together the tonearm was catching in some way so I pulled the track and cartridge partially off , gave it a lot of movement in all directions and then put it back together and it worked . Hope this might help