Sharp GF-A2H(BR) - Rollin' My Sleeves Up (Again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hello there,In my opinion:yes you can.The difference between 3.2 ohms(not watts)and 3ohms is negligable,in other words nothing to worry about.The donor speakers handling of 10watts max being put into the Sharp,whose max was only 5watts is a bonus.It means to me you should be able to crank your Sharp at full volume without any problem.Time to go out a get the new Iron Maiden album an rock out!Up the irons!Seriously though I hope this helps you out a whole bunch.Let us know how she sounds when your done.I'm excited for you!😀

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
ralrein1 said:
Hello there,In my opinion:yes you can.The difference between 3.2 ohms(not watts)and 3ohms is negligable,in other words nothing to worry about.The donor speakers handling of 10watts max being put into the Sharp,whose max was only 5watts is a bonus.It means to me you should be able to crank your Sharp at full volume without any problem.Time to go out a get the new Iron Maiden album an rock out!Up the irons!Seriously though I hope this helps you out a whole bunch.Let us know how she sounds when your done.I'm excited for you!
Thanks very much, ralrein1, you've been most helpful indeed! :yes: :thumbsup:

"I'm not technically minded" I said - I don't even know the difference between a watt and an ohm!!! :w00t: :lol: Oh dear, I'm so pleased you guys are here! :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
a watt is a unit of measure for electrical current , an ohm is a unit of resistance to electrical flow or a unit of load to an electrical circuit.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
ralrein1 said:
Hey there myohmy, did ya get to soldering yet?Maybe you can take some pics of the operation and narrate as you go along.Your very good at that.I'm kinda curious to see and hear how it's going.☺
The plan was to do the work this weekend but..............I find myself juggling furniture in my spare room instead 'cos I need to create space for extra shelving and consider space requirements for all the boomboxes I'm now accumulating - and there ain't no space left! :yes: :lol:

As soon as I get the room sorted I'll be rollin' my sleeves up and I'll post all the pics, tell you all about the stress of soldering - the sweat, the nerves, the tears and the grief as well! Nah, I'm sure it'll all turn out well with a careful approach and all due diligence. :yes:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Update:

Today I restored the speakers and, although it was another new experience for me, it went well.

Existing speaker is on the left with the doner on the right (a 2nd Panasonic RX-C41L I bought cheaply for spares).
The speakers may appear different sizes but this is not the case. One seems larger because the wider part of the
speaker is closer to the camera lens.
DSCF1400sfw.jpg

New speakers wired & soldered, secured in position and ready for case assembly.
The original speakers had the same foam pad over the wires arrangement so this was replicated
with fresh foam & double sided tape each side of the wire to keep it all snug.
There is a post on the opposing side of the casing that sits against this to keep everything in place securely:
DSCF1403sfw.jpg

Here's the finished result, I feel that replacing the creamy white colour of the cones with black on this box has given the box
a more solid appearance. It's a low-end box so it needed all the help it could get! :yes: :lol: DSCF1407sfw.jpg

*There is a slight difference in the width of the Sharp and Panasonic speakers used but the difference probably does not exceed 1mm at a guess, it really is a tiny difference. Although the Panasonic speakers sat neatly in their new Sharp speaker cases home, the Sharp speakers were just a tad too tight to secure into the Panasonic case. I'd guess the minimum amount of filing on the two opposing side edges would take care of this if your back was against the wall.

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
That´s a nice looking box you got there, those old speakers look just horrible to be honest, but i´m glad you got it all alright, i guess it sounds fabulous now :lol: :stereo:

Good work ! :thumbsup:

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
crazygamer said:
That´s a nice looking box you got there, those old speakers look just horrible to be honest, but i´m glad you got it all alright, i guess it sounds fabulous now :lol: :stereo:

Good work ! :thumbsup:
Thanks, crazygamer. Yes it's a low end lightweight but it has it's place as well as being a cheap way to practice my skills - I'd would have been worried if I had to do the same thing on a high end box without any practice!

I recently saw the GF-A3 going cheap but, when I looked closely, it was the same box with a few decorative changes sp I'd call it a GF-A2 MKII. In fact, the changes made it look even cheaper worse!

I still have a problem with eating tapes to deal with and I'd also like to add acoustic padding to the inside of the speakers but all in good time.

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
Tape eating mechanism, what you mean by that ? Does takeup reel even spin or is it with the pinch roller ? My TRK-7000 has a bad pinch roller that i can´t replace so takeup reel spins, but very soon it starts to drift to corner of pinch roller and therefore it destroys tapes from edges. That´s why i don´t use it´s cassette deck anymore.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
crazygamer said:
Tape eating mechanism, what you mean by that ? Does takeup reel even spin or is it with the pinch roller ? My TRK-7000 has a bad pinch roller that i can´t replace so takeup reel spins, but very soon it starts to drift to corner of pinch roller and therefore it destroys tapes from edges. That´s why i don´t use it´s cassette deck anymore.
I can't remember the details right now only that the take-up spool wasn't doing it's job, I'm too tired at the mo.

I saw your thread comments here, I have 2 Hitachi TRK-8130E's and another for spares, I'll see at some point in the future if parts may fit your TRK-7000. (Been busy this week, now want to rest a little.)

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hey there myohmy!I've been waiting to see your handy work and I have to say great job!Your Sharp looks very,how should I put it......sharp.Very nice job on the soldering and securing of wires with the 2 sided tape,top notch!How does she sound now?Did ya crank her up to hear the wonderfulness of it all.I bet it sounds great!Thanks for sharing your odessey with us.😀😀😀

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
ralrein1 said:
Hey there myohmy!I've been waiting to see your handy work and I have to say great job!Your Sharp looks very,how should I put it......sharp.Very nice job on the soldering and securing of wires with the 2 sided tape,top notch!How does she sound now?Did ya crank her up to hear the wonderfulness of it all.I bet it sounds great!Thanks for sharing your odessey with us.
Thanks, ralrein1. I must admit, soldering the wires to the tweeters was a delicate operation. I thought it best to be over-cautious rather than gung-ho as I was very aware of heat transfer in such a small area and feared the catastrophic consequences of my own very limited experience! :yes: :-D

As it stands, the sound is OK+ for low-end but nothing memorable although it sounds better than some of it's competitors may. There's more than a hint of Plastic Speaker Syndrome therefore acoustic foam in the speaker cases ought to make a vast improvement - then I hope to tell how really good it sounds. :yes: :-D Like most of my boxes, I rarely get the opportunity to crank 'em up but I do know it goes pretty darn loud!

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
ralrein1 said:
Yeah well,I guess o.k.+ will do for now.Looking forward to the foam install report and update on what effect it'll have on your quest to make your Sharp the best it can be!It looks good so far.
No foam in hand yet but, when I have enough to go around, I'll have an Acoustic Foaming of Speakers Day and them all done on the same day. :yes: :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.