Sharp GF-9696 junker rides again! ** Updated ** 20/6/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
*** Update ***

Hi Guys, here's another one of my very brief updates. :-)

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I worked on the roadside 9696. Why? Well I've been waiting for a special package from forum member Geoff (nikonfoo) in Japan! Geoff sent me a package of replacement parts so it's time to get the tools out again.
View attachment 19473
Firstly I went to work replacing my old tape door that was missing its' metal trim. The only problem with the new door was that the glue had started to let go along the top edge of the trim. It's a common fault apparently. I couldn't leave it like that as eventually it would get caught on something and get bent out of shape. I did try gluing just the top edge but that didn't work so I decided to remove the whole trim. Unfortunately, the sides and lower section of the trim were still glued well!

View attachment 19461

I tried soaking the door in warm water overnight - that didn't work so I stepped it up by soaking it in boiling water. After hours of dunking and careful prying off the trim, I finally got it off without bending it. After another hour, I had all the glue residue off!
View attachment 19462
I used double sided tape to reattach the trim.
View attachment 19463
It's solid now, job done.
View attachment 19464

Next it was time to get inside and replace that ugly, cracked and hazy tuner window. Luckily the old window came out pretty easily. You have to be careful as the top strip of the front case above the tuner window is very thin plastic and is thus very suspectible to cracking during the removal process.

Old and new:
View attachment 19465

I had to then clean off the remnants of the old window before the new one would seat properly:
View attachment 19466
I used double sided tape again to attach the window.

Ok, next was the replacement of the left antenna with a genuine original Sharp replacement. As the previous owner had stripped the antenna screw, I had to replace the base as well. As many would know, you need to pull the main board to gain access to the antenna base screw!

Next it was time to replace the seized deck motor and fit new belts. Three motor mount screws, a desolder, re-solder of a couple of wires later, the motor's in. The flywheel etc needed the usual lube and the pulleys had chunks of old belts that needed removal.
View attachment 19467
View attachment 19468
The belts Geoff sent me were a perfect fit.
View attachment 19469
View attachment 19474

The deck now sounds very good with an even output and tone from both channels. All functions including Music search, tape speed etc are working as they should.

Last job was to replace the missing echo slider cap and the missing tape selector and SNRS switch tips.
View attachment 19472
So now that the roadside box is fully working, it's time to get her outside and start blasting!!
View attachment 19470View attachment 19471

So despite the battle scars, she's still a head turning box. I had her at the local seaside park last week and I noticed a few double takes from the general public!

So in keeping with the 'survivor box' theme, I've only replaced parts that were either missing, non functioning or broken.

You could replace every exterior part for cosmetic reasons and make it look like new but it would cost a fortune plus it wouldn't be the same box I found on the side of the road!

Gotta love a fully working box! :-)

This one's done! :-)

Next.

James.... :-)

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
How did I miss this thread!? (I've read and said that so many times)
Nice work! Looks great! The 9696 is a hell of a box! (So I've heard)
Love it when I see someone put this kind of time and effort into bringing one of these bad boys back from the dead.
This is what Boomboxery is all about!
Posterity appreciates you.

Brownlow

Member (SA)
Jul 15, 2010
alfie said:
Btw, you should pop back to the original owner and show them how you've brought it back to life....
I think that owner would be mightily upset :yes:

That was an impeccable restoration, to a class boomer. They are nice, very nice.

Jimmy, you did real good with that 9696.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
alfie said:
Btw, you should pop back to the original owner and show them how you've brought it back to life....
That's a nice idea but they might want it back after seeing it restored!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
i think the 9696 just totally beats the **** out of the gf 9000 for looks. prolly in every other category as well. aside from size. thats a bad ass 9696.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
awesome update.looking really fantastic now.a fully fettled 9696 is a rewarding and satisfying machine.be proud.....and loud and screw the neighbours :yes: :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.