sharp gf-666 very quiet almost silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

danilnetu

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2015
Hello, my name is Danil, i live in New Orleans.
Its my first post.

I just bought sharp gf-666 from ebay.
1. The lights come on but its very quiet.
I tried radio and line in.
The volume switch doe not affect it.

A friend of mine said that it must be failed amplifier and i ordered hitachi HA1392.

2. The rewind works, and play button works also, but when i pressed stop, it stopped but a little metal stick in the main deck keeps spinning.

I would like to rebuild it.
Please, help me to choose the right parts.

Thank you.

Thank you for the forum!

Attachments

toshik

Member (SA)
Mar 1, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Welcome!
Are you sure you are capable of doing such troubleshooting and repairs (using meter, scope, understanding the signal flow, reading schematics diagrams)? If not I'd pass it to someone having experience in this kind of work.
Get the service manual then check the power supply voltage before going any further.
In theory this is quite simple problem since it' stable just feed the signal to line input and follow it all the way to the speakers to see where it gets lost could be as simple as bad switch contacts.

Superduper

Member (SA)
There is a perception that old boomboxes are easy to restore. It's easy to see how one can come to that conclusion since these many forums make it seem easy. In many cases, that is the case. Oxidation builds up in controls and belts break or liquify. Cleaning oxidation is merely a matter of cleaning it out of the controls and in many cases, a treatment(s) of electronics cleaner will resolve that. Repairing the decks is a task that most folks with good mechanical aptitude can tackle. Both of these processes have been discussed many times over and you just need to search. It takes a lot of effort and time to respond in depth, with step by step instructions which may not apply to an alternate model anyhow, so most of us are a bit loathe to repeat the same things over and over again which has already been discussed. Bottom line is, the search bar is your friend. Additionally, Sharp boomboxes also have an idiosyncratic quirk where there is a rubber sleeve that disintegrates making the mechanism inoperative. Your model is among those with this issue. The spining part that does not stop is a sure sign that the belts have failed as the capstan flywheel is spinning yet unable to reset the mechanism which is what puts the deck back into "ready" status. If you can master all 3 of these tasks, that is about the most any novice can really hope to achieve. The remainder is like Toshik said, it's not a skill that someone can teach you in a post or two on a forum. Electronic faults is an entirely different thing that requires some electronics background to resolve and your best bet to develop this skill is to go and learn all you can at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ This site here isn't really the place to learn those skills.

danilnetu

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2015
I think I can handle it.
I do car restoration full time so I have enough patience and focus to do one step at a time.

Also, I am not going to use the cassette decks. I only want the line in option.

I guess the first step is to take it apart and clean it. Will alcohol work for it?

Thank you!

danilnetu

Member (SA)
Apr 17, 2015
Ok.
I've tried a little and no result.
I would like to hire somebody to get it done for me.
I would only need the line in function.
Please let me know if you are interested and how much would that cost.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.