Restoring a TRC931. The Journey begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkestrong

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2014
I want to start and apologize because I know the Lasonic projects are probably starting to annoy most users.
This is my first vintage Boombox and I have been looking for a few years. I just happened to log into Ebay a few hours after A Lasonic TRC931 was posted buy it now for 170 shipped to the house. I have wanted one for so long I thought about it for a few minutes and made the purchase. This is my journey.

I have to go to my Soul sucking, Corporate America, Part time job but I promise to update more with better pictures tonight.

Thanks for any help or your time given.

Attachments

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
We never get tired of anyone bringing any box back from the dead
I sure hope your function switch isn't broken

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Nice find, BTW, Lasonic sells brand new replacement white speakers. If you email them through their website and tell them you came from Boomboxery. They don't list them on their website. It's just a special for Boomboxery members.

FirstJobForTRC931

Member (SA)
Jun 9, 2014
Florida
-GZ- said:
We never get tired of anyone bringing any box back from the dead
I sure hope your function switch isn't broken
FML!!!, Hi.

Joined yesterday, TRC-931 1stGen shows up today, testing,Radio check! Phono, stem on selector snaps off.

See ya round the forums..

GHETTOBLASTER4LIFE

Member (SA)
Aug 20, 2009
ohio
Nice box to start with :yes:
I sure wish someone would 3d some selector nobs/gears for all us 931 owners....that person would be king for a whole year on here :hooray:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
It is a crazy mess of a box inside to work on. Take your time and plenty of pictures!

Welcome to the site and we never get bored of a resto project!

clarkestrong

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2014
Thanks everyone!
My selector knob is broken. I took the box apart that night and pulled the broken gear out succesfully. Looking inside this box I have to say the assembly process must have been a nightmare. I will unsolder the box for the gear soon and put in the new gear that I am making. Would be nice to have a 3d printer for this and many other projects but for now the epoxy casting method will have to do.

I bought this box as broken, not working for parts. However the good news is the box is alive. She turns on and I moved the selector gear bar to radio. tuned to a station and she plays. ohhh man I was so excited. The right side speaker seems to make a scratching sound as the volume is raised but clears up when a volume is settled on, seems to cut out in specific volume points as well.

All in all she has all the knobs, she is not cracked even though shipper took no precautions other than two sheets of packing paper, NOCUSHION AT ALL. Very suprised it isnt broken. Needs to be cleaned and some pitting in the chrome. All the leds seem to be working. Tape decks move and the bands are in place and not cracked.

Anyway to extend the life of those bands for the tapes?

Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Nice find, BTW, Lasonic sells brand new replacement white speakers. If you email them through their website and tell them you came from Boomboxery. They don't list them on their website. It's just a special for Boomboxery members.
I might get some speakers from lasonic thanks for that info!! About how much does a full set cost?

GHETTOBLASTER4LIFE said:
Nice box to start with :yes:
I sure wish someone would 3d some selector nobs/gears for all us 931 owners....that person would be king for a whole year on here :hooray:
I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks again everyone! I Need to take some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.