Requesting crossover recommendations for broken D8443 rebuild

hand123

Jan 15, 2021
NJ
Hello,
I’m getting ready to rebuild an old broken D8443.

My question is about speaker crossovers. I am likely overthinking this.

I know the box is not a perfect enclosure, so this may take some trial and error based on my listening preference.

Since stereo separation is not really a concern for me in this box, I’m planning to use mono 60watt Bluetooth amp and build the system around it. The power will be split among the speakers depending on the frequency splits and impedance of the speakers. This should be plenty of power or me considering the original was about 10watts total.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...io-Amplifier-Board-with-Bluetooth-4.0-325-120

Since the enclosure is not perfect, I may add baffles around the left and right, but leave the large center as free air.

I will avoid replacing the piezo tweeters and simply use 5.25” two-way coaxial speakers in the left and right locations. This is per other forum recommendations. The speakers I’m looking at claim to be full range with a documented frequency response of 40Hz and up. I will block the lows.

For the center, depending on what fits, I’m planning to use a 7” or 8” mid-woofer. This is not a subwoofer and I do not expect to get sub levels out of this box. Frequency response is flat approximately 70Hz to 1000Hz based on the graph. I will block the highs.

My research indicates general approximate frequency ranges are the following:
  • Highs = 5K and up
  • Mid = 500 to 5K
  • Lows = 80 to 500
  • Sub = 0 to 80
Looking for recommendations on crossover points.

All of the following are estimates that I would attempt to find passive crossovers to match as close as possible.

Option 1: A simple 2-way crossover to separate lows from highs and protect the 5.25” speakers. The two tweeters should supply good high end. What approximate frequency should I choose for good low end? 80Hz, 100Hz, 150Hz, 250Hz, 300Hz, 500Hz, 800Hz? Based on the speakers above, I’m thinking around 200Hz.

Option 2: Overlap the crossover points to boost the low end. The tweeters should be enough to not lose the high end. What crossover points should I use for varying degrees of overlap without making the setup sound muddy or with too much low-midrange?

Option 2A: Overlap 80Hz – 500Hz. A lot of low and low-mid overlap. Maybe too far overlap into the mid. High pass = 80Hz, Low pass = 500Hz

Option 2B: Overlap 80Hz – 150Hz. Some overlap in the low. High pass: 80Hz, Low pass 150Hz

Option 2C: Overlap 80Hz – 300Hz. I’m leaning towards this. Overlap in the low but not too far into the low mid. High pass: 80Hz, Low pass 300Hz

Option 2D: Overlap 150Hz – 300Hz. Some overlap in the low-mid. Maybe not enough overlap in the low. High pass: 150Hz, Low pass 300Hz

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Reactions: JimmieJam

hand123

Jan 15, 2021
NJ
Hello. I decided to post this in likely the more appropriate forum call Restorations. I'm happy to delete this duplicate post above, but am unable to figure out how to delete it. Apologies.